FWD: Revert the "Felixstowe to Nuneaton" relation

FWD: Revert the "Felixstowe to Nuneaton" relation

Great Britain mailing list

I am forwarding this here because it seems like the "talk-gb-midanglia" mailing list is no longer active.

Date: 14 Nov 2020, 17:44
Subject: Revert the "Felixstowe to Nuneaton" relation

That is the relation I am talking about.

An edit made by user nplath seems to have made this relation into a clone of the "Ipswich To Cambridge-Ely" relation. You can tell this because the number of members went down from ~400 to ~150.

If I'm correct, this route (Felixstowe to Nuneaton) is an important freight train route.

If somehow to members of this relation can be reverted to back when there were 400 members, then that would be good.

Thanks,
IpswichMapper

Re: FWD: Revert the "Felixstowe to Nuneaton" relation

Andy Townsend

You can see the history of the relation at http://osm.mapki.com/history/relation.php?id=7521925 .

The changeset that you're talking about, https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67930034 , claimed to be a revert, and a previous changeset that affected the line https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67336351 was reverted in https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67709664 .  Comments made on changesets by this user can be seen at http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=8350466 , but unfortunately they don't include all of the reverts and counter-reverts.

>  If somehow to members of this relation can be reverted to back when there were 400 members, then that would be good.

Given that the original change happened in March 2019, no-one's going to be able to "wave a magic wand" and restore this relation to back how it was then, since there will be ways that existed then that don't exist any more.  However the restore is done there will be quite a lot of "manually filling in gaps" needed.

Are you asking the list because you'd like to check that it is a good idea, because you'd like to do it yourself but don't know how, or simply don't have time to do it yourself and just wanted to make more people aware of the problem?  All of these perfectly valid reasons of course.

If I was going to do it I'd probably start by undoing the relation back to the changeset 67822240 version with "undo.pl" from the perl revert scripts, and then fill in the gaps manually  by looking at http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/10rc (that's an overpass query of that relation on a date just after the last "valid" change).  However, there may be quite a few gaps to fill in, so it'd likely need someone with a bit of free time to do that part (which depending on the answer to the previous question, may or may not be you).

Best Regards,

Andy