Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail (Colin Smale)

Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail (Colin Smale)

Garry Keenor
Colin,

Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit behind so I'll try to catch up with your comments to date.

Re: 3rd_rail/4th_rail vs 3rail/4rail
I really don't mind and will go with the majority. Not sure how you determine a majority with this process!

Re: keeping electrified=rail to mean 3rd rail and have a new electrified=4th_rail or  electrified=4rail We did discuss that as a group, and again if that is the majority preference, I would not have a problem with it.

Voltages for individual rails
We do have some thoughts on that which I will share in a later proposal, but I would like to keep this change discussion focused purely on electrification type.

Dual voltage areas
We do have a specific proposal/solution for that problem  which I will share in a later proposal, but I would like to keep this change discussion focused purely on electrification type.

3 phase electrification
II haven't thought about that one, let's get this proposal through the process and I'll put it on the list to think about.

best regards,

Garry

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail (Colin Smale)

Colin Smale

Hi Garry, thanks for your reply. I am pleased to hear that the "related issues" are already on the radar and I am more than happy to see them in a following proposal.

One thought about 3rd_rail/4th_rail vs 3rail/4rail: The term "4th rail" is actually semantically incorrect, and should really be "3rd+4th rail" (after all, it won't work without the 3rd rail.) That problem would not occur if we tag it as "4-rail" or "4rail."

Thanks,

Colin