Feature Proposal - RFC - Research station

Feature Proposal - RFC - Research station

Bren Barnes

A research station is an amenity that is built for the purpose of conducting scientific research. Research stations are often located in remote areas of the world, such as in the polar regions or oceans. Due to their remote nature they are usually self-sufficient campuses, generating their power requirements from non-grid sources and having food supplies for long seasons. The stations are staffed by both research scientists and operational staff who live and work on base 24/7

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Research station

Christoph Hormann-2
On Wednesday 24 October 2018, Bren Barnes wrote:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Research_statio

It is not quite clear what criteria qualify a place as a research
station based on your proposal.  You might in particular want to
consider the distinction from things like military outposts, park
ranger stations in nature reserves, weather stations and similar.  In
the Antarctic the situation is mostly clear due to the legal background
but elsewhere many such stations are multi-purpose.

It is also not clear if this is meant as a supplemental tag to populated
place tags or if as a replacement for those.  As a supplemental tag it
seems fine provided there are clear criteria, as a main tag given the
wide range of research stations that exist it would seem a step back
from existing populated place tagging.

And like with populated places since in most cases research stations
have a well defined center but not a well defined outline it makes much
more sense to map them with a node than with a polygon.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Research station

Jonathon Rossi
Here in Queensland Australia, our Department of Agriculture and Fisheries run many research stations obviously doing primary industries based research. Some universities do perform research there, but they are government owned and run stations.

I recently started mapping a local one which is in a urban area. Wikipedia's definition of a research station isn't so strong about them being located in a remote area.

The local one I linked to above isn't self sufficient and people don't live there, however they recently installed a fancy research solar array. From your definition it doesn't sound like this one would qualify, as many others on the DAF list probably don't either, but I would think the chosen tag name applies.

Is your proposal that this tag applies to my example?

Thanks

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 6:20 PM Bren Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

A research station is an amenity that is built for the purpose of conducting scientific research. Research stations are often located in remote areas of the world, such as in the polar regions or oceans. Due to their remote nature they are usually self-sufficient campuses, generating their power requirements from non-grid sources and having food supplies for long seasons. The stations are staffed by both research scientists and operational staff who live and work on base 24/7

Jono

Am Mi., 24. Okt. 2018 um 10:20 Uhr schrieb Bren Barnes <[hidden email]>:

A research station is an amenity that is built for the purpose of conducting scientific research. Research stations are often located in remote areas of the world, such as in the polar regions or oceans. Due to their remote nature they are usually self-sufficient campuses, generating their power requirements from non-grid sources and having food supplies for long seasons. The stations are staffed by both research scientists and operational staff who live and work on base 24/7

I would not require it is "built for the purpose", IMHO it is sufficien it is "used for the purpose". I am also not sure whether people will have to live there, and whether this has to be"24/7", this might be often the case, but it isn't necessarily a requirement, is it?

I would reduce the definition to the absolute minimum, and put the prose into a more verbose explanation section. Words like "usually" imply that these aren't strict requirements (but can be indices/hints).

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - Research station

I think there are more research stations that are not so remote, not manned 24/7 nor have residences on site.

Some links to a diverse range of possible 'research stations'
https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/OandA/Areas/Assessing-our-climate/Greenhouse-gas-data
https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/AF/Areas/Boorowa-Agricultural-Research-Station
https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/Facilities/AAHL
https://australianmuseum.net.au/lizard-island-research-station