Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard

I have updated both the proposal page and the discussion page (with e-mailed comments) of

Proposed features/Consulate

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Consulate

Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to pose questions.  I am incorporating suggestions and one counterproposal into the wiki page and look forward to reactions to them.  Many thanks to the fellow mappers who have responded to this RFC!

Proposal

It is proposed to establish formally the amenity=consulate tag, which is already in use sporadically, in order to differentiate consulates from embassies.

Suggestions from Commenters

  • To include an additional tag (e.g., service=*) indicating types of consular services (citizen services, non-immigrant visas, immigrant visas, notarials, apostiles) offered. This tag could also be used for embassies offering consular services.
  • To specify in such a tag types of services, e.g.,
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:apostiles=yes·">service:apostiles=yes·
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:immigrant_visas=yes·">service:immigrant_visas=yes·
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:non-immigrant_visas=yes">service:non-immigrant_visas=yes
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:notarials=yes">service:notarials=yes
 This approach could be applied to avoid multiple values for the same key, and are required because keys must be unique in OSM.
  • To use the tag diplomatic=* to specify the type of consulate (consulate general, consulate, consular agency, honorary consul).
Counterproposal

Another user has counter-proposed (see the discussion page):
I would opt for; depreciating amenity=embassy as they are used for embassies, consulates etc so you don't know what they are (unless it has a detailed sub tag) introducing amenity=diplomatic and use the sub tag diplomatic=* to detail what it is - embassy/consulate/*

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Paul Allen
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Allan Mustard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to pose questions.

 This is pretty much based on gut feelings and may be partially or completely wrong...

I don't think "amenity" is a suitable tag for a consulate.  Amenities are parks, or toilets, or similar.
"Should we go to the park or the consulate for a picnic today?"   "I'm busting for a crap, where's the
nearest consulate?"  And I'm damned sure an embassy isn't an amenity (I'm not even sure, in these
days of telecommunications, if it serves any purpose other than housing spies, but if heads of state
do still use embassies for formal communication between governments they're definitely not
amenities).

Embassies and consulates seem a slightly better fit in office=government, but still a square peg with
the corners filed down a little trying to fit into a round hole.

I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used elsewhere for other things.
It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out which particular
service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.  It is also less easy to comprehend at a
glance.  I'd say diplomatic=* is a better way to go because it is more obvious and easier for
editors.

I don't know what the answer is, all I can say is I'm not overly happy with what has been
suggested so far.

--
Paul

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard
Well, at the moment the question as articulated in the wiki is whether to split the existing amenity=embassy (which encompasses both embassies and consulates) into amenity=embassy and amenity=consulate.  If in the view of the OSM community amenity=consulate is inappropriate, then logically so is amenity=embassy, and we need a new proposal to change it.  I have no idea why amenity=embassy first came into existence.  There is another proposal to create amenity=diplomatic and then use the diplomatic=* tag to define more precisely what type of facility an object is.  I have added it to the proposal wiki, but assume you would not like it, either.

Paul, are you proposing office=diplomatic and diplomatic=[embassy, mission, nunciature, consulate, consulate_general, consular agency, honorary_consul], or something else?  I'll be happy to add your proposal to the list of counterproposals on the wiki and promote discussion of it.

As for objection to the service=* tag, would a new consular:*=* tag be a better solution?  Just asking.  I'm not well versed in programing editors. It would be something like consular:immigrant_visas=yes, consular:nonimmigrant_visas=yes, consular:citizen_services=yes, etc.

As for whether embassies serve "any purpose other than housing spies," as a diplomat now for over 30 years, I can assure you that at least in the case of U.S. embassies, we diplomats do a lot more than that.  Please take a look at the integrated country strategy of my embassy, here: https://www.state.gov/documents/organization/285262.pdf for a taste of what a small U.S. embassy does.  The larger U.S. embassies do much more.  I cannot speak for the embassies of other nations.

On 10/24/2018 8:52 PM, Paul Allen wrote:
[...]

I'm not happy with <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:*=*">service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used elsewhere for other things.
It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out which particular
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:*">service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.  It is also less easy to comprehend at a

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 5:27 PM Allan Mustard <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have no idea why amenity=embassy first came into existence.

The usual reasons.   Somebody needed to tag an embassy, couldn't find a documented way of
doing it so used the first tag that came to mind.

There is another proposal to create amenity=diplomatic and then use the diplomatic=* tag to define more precisely what type of facility an object is.  I have added it to the proposal wiki, but assume you would not like it, either.

Not under amenity, no.  Maybe it works for other people, but my mental map of what constitutes
an amenity doesn't include embassies and consulates.  Even though embassies and consulates
both sometimes hold parties.

Paul, are you proposing office=diplomatic and diplomatic=[embassy, mission, nunciature, consulate, consulate_general, consular agency, honorary_consul], or something else?

Something along those lines.  I'm not sure office is a good fit either.  We have amenity=doctors
and office=doctor but there are attempts to move those under healthcare, which I think is a better
way of handling them.  I definitely don't like amenity here and office is only slightly better.  A better
fit would be diplomatic_mission=consulate|embassy|nunciate|whatever but underscores in keys
seem to be out of favour.  Is there another encompassing term?

As for objection to the service=* tag, would a new consular:*=* tag be a better solution?  Just asking.  I'm not well versed in programing editors. It would be something like consular:immigrant_visas=yes, consular:nonimmigrant_visas=yes, consular:citizen_services=yes, etc.

Only if there is no need for an equivalent embassy: tag.  That is everything that need be dealt with
for an embassy is listing which consular functions it also performs (if any).  This assumes an
underlying model where an embassy can (but may not) do anything a consulate can but all
embassies have the same non-consular functions.  Otherwise, if we had an all-encompassing
term like diplomatic_mission=* we could then have diplomatic_mission:citizen_services=yes.  Or
something like that.  I'm making this up as I go along. :)

As for whether embassies serve "any purpose other than housing spies," as a diplomat now for over 30 years, I can assure you that at least in the case of U.S. embassies, we diplomats do a lot more than that.

That's how it worked until recent times.  Now diplomacy-by-tweet seems to be the norm in the US. :(

However, your experience does mean you have a good idea of what the tagging scheme needs to
cover so it can be made coherent and possibly anticipate future needs.  It's always a pain to introduce
a new way of doing things and then find out a year down the line that it can't handle something.

--
Paul

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

sdoerr
On 24/10/2018 16:17, Allan Mustard wrote:

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="service:apostiles=yes·" moz-do-not-send="true">service:apostiles=yes·

The Oxford English Dictionary recognizes two spellings, apostil and apostille, with the latter only being used in Oxford's more up-to-date dictionaries. Therefore, I would recommend

service=apostilles

--

Steve

On 25/10/18 02:52, Paul Allen wrote:
[...]

An alternative ... just use the diplomatic key alone.
If necessary diplomatic=yes could be used where the precise nature of the facility is unknown .. much like building=yes.

I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used elsewhere for other things.
It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out which particular
service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.

Humm the 'sells' tag has the same problem.
Free form entry is a reasonable way around this .. at least until some use has been made of it to see what is 'frequent' in use.

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Kevin Kenny-3
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Allan Mustard <[hidden email]> wrote:

Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to pose questions.

 This is pretty much based on gut feelings and may be partially or completely wrong...

I don't think "amenity" is a suitable tag for a consulate.  Amenities are parks, or toilets, or similar.
"Should we go to the park or the consulate for a picnic today?"   "I'm busting for a crap, where's the
nearest consulate?"  And I'm damned sure an embassy isn't an amenity (I'm not even sure, in these
days of telecommunications, if it serves any purpose other than housing spies, but if heads of state
do still use embassies for formal communication between governments they're definitely not
amenities).
I'm not going to worry too much about that particular tagging.  'amenity=*' is so overloaded in OSM (amenity=prison? Really?) that it can't possibly get any worse. Since I already have to account for a great many different sorts of cases when processing 'amenity=*' for rendering or analysis, one more would be lost in the noise. I tend to think of OSM's 'amenity' as having a meaning not too far removed from 'thing'.

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 9:40 PM Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25/10/18 02:52, Paul Allen wrote:

An alternative ... just use the diplomatic key alone.

I could live with that.  I think.  I have a vague feeling of unease about it, for some reason I can't put
my finger on.  Maybe because it's an adjective and I think of keys as being nouns.  Problem is,
diplomat=embassy would be silly.

I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used elsewhere for other things.
It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out which particular
service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.

Humm the 'sells' tag has the same problem.

That doesn't mean we should compound the error.  Each time something like sells is used
the editor has to have special-case code to handle it properly.  Or it just offers every possible sells=*
even when most are inappropriate in that context, which leads to errors and confusion.

Free form entry is a reasonable way around this .. at least until some use has been made of it to see what is 'frequent' in use.

AKA "I wish we'd thought this through properly back in the beginning instead of ending up with a mix of
incompatible tagging methods because people invent random stuff."  That's how we ended up with
amenity=embassy...

--
Paul

On 25/10/18 07:51, Kevin Kenny wrote:
[...]

:-)
Since I already have to account for a great many different sorts of cases when processing 'amenity=*' for rendering or analysis, one more would be lost in the noise. I tend to think of OSM's 'amenity' as having a meaning not too far removed from 'thing'.

I think of it as the miscellaneous folder of OSM, if it cannot fit anywhere else it goes in here.  The 'I give up' option.

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 07:37, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Just had a thought :-)

Would this work under the landuse=government / civic_admin / public_admin that was being discussed t'other day?

Maybe something like:

landuse=government

government=diplomatic (rendering with the current "embassy" flag)

diplomatic=embassy / consulate etc

services=visa; passport etc

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Warin
Err no.

The 'government' is not 'foreign' but of federal/state/local jurisdiction to that place.

landuse=diplomatic???

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 11:41, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Err no.

The 'government' is not 'foreign' but of federal/state/local jurisdiction to that place.

landuse=diplomatic???

Yes, but that patch of ground is owned by the "Australian" govt - it's just that it's located in the US or where-ever!

Thanks

Graeme

Am Do., 25. Okt. 2018 um 03:41 Uhr schrieb Warin <[hidden email]>:
Err no.
The 'government' is not 'foreign' but of federal/state/local jurisdiction to that place.

+1, I'd also see this somehow misleading, as it is refering to a foreign government, while the landuse tag usually doesn't.

landuse=diplomatic???

might be OK, but it doesn't solve anything IMHO. It is somehow already implied by the embassy feature tag (or tags for other diplomatic facilities) what kind of landuse there is. "landuse" is a property about the use of land, it doesn't constitute a feature (you can split it arbitrarily without creating more "features", it only describes the use of the tagged area and has no implication on features).

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Colin Smale

On 2018-10-25 06:42, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

On Thu, 25 Oct 2018 at 11:41, Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Err no.

The 'government' is not 'foreign' but of federal/state/local jurisdiction to that place.

landuse=diplomatic???

Yes, but that patch of ground is owned by the "Australian" govt - it's just that it's located in the US or where-ever!

For the avoidance of doubt, it is owned by the "Australian govt" in the same sense that I own my house (but it may also be rented or leased). It is not outside of the host country's jurisdiction, if that's what you were implying by "owned".

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

marc marc
if you known the "land scope" of a consulate,
of course you may add it like we did sometime for school
and thus all tag are only on one polygon.
but landuse can't be the main tag, because if you have no idea about the
scope of a consulate, or if the consulate only have a level inside a
building, you can't add a landuse tag.
which is why I think it's best to keep the two subjects separate.

Le 25. 10. 18 à 03:25, Allan Mustard a écrit :

> I like Graeme's idea. Round peg in round hole.  How would people feel
> about modifying the current Consulate proposal to encompass this?  Or
> should I leave the proposal for amenity=consulate as it is?
>
> On 10/25/2018 3:13 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Just had a thought :-)
>>
>> Would this work under the landuse=government / civic_admin /
>> public_admin that was being discussed t'other day?
>>
>> Maybe something like:
>>
>> landuse=government
>>
>> government=diplomatic (rendering with the current "embassy" flag)
>>
>> diplomatic=embassy / consulate etc
>>
>> services=visa; passport etc
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Graeme

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Andrew Hain
Embassies that extend over multiple sites or are neighbours (the embassies of Ecuador and Colombia in London are flats in a block of flats) don’t correspond to the normal meaning of the landuse tag.

--
Andrew

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard
Good point. Many embassies and consulates are an office in an office building, not an area. I represent them with a node in my mapping of Ashgabat (see the Embassy of Qatar in Ashgabat). Landuse is thus not a good solution, I fear.

There is also the issue of multiple sites for an embassy (in Ashgabat my embassy has four locations, two of which are offices in office buildings). I mapped those two as nodes and tagged amenity=embassy. Seems to work.

If there is no consensus yet on an alternative, for now I will leave the proposal as amenity=consulate since that matches amenity=embassy. We still have lots of time to consider alternatives, however! Any new ideas?

apm-wa

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 25, 2018, at 2:57 PM, marc marc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> if you known the "land scope" of a consulate,
> of course you may add it like we did sometime for school
> and thus all tag are only on one polygon.
> but landuse can't be the main tag, because if you have no idea about the
> scope of a consulate, or if the consulate only have a level inside a
> building, you can't add a landuse tag.
> which is why I think it's best to keep the two subjects separate.
>
>> Le 25. 10. 18 à 03:25, Allan Mustard a écrit :
>> I like Graeme's idea. Round peg in round hole.  How would people feel
>> about modifying the current Consulate proposal to encompass this?  Or
>> should I leave the proposal for amenity=consulate as it is?
>>
>>> On 10/25/2018 3:13 AM, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>> Just had a thought :-)
>>>
>>> Would this work under the landuse=government / civic_admin /
>>> public_admin that was being discussed t'other day?
>>>
>>> Maybe something like:
>>>
>>> landuse=government
>>>
>>> government=diplomatic (rendering with the current "embassy" flag)
>>>
>>> diplomatic=embassy / consulate etc
>>>
>>> services=visa; passport etc
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Graeme

Re: Feature Proposal - RFC - (consulate)

Allan Mustard

Embassies and consulates are definitely government facilities/offices.  Under the legal doctrine of extraterritoriality, the embassy or consulate is considered to be located in the sending country for purposes of legal jurisdiction.  Extraterritoriality is virtually unlimited in the case of an embassy; it is more limited in the case of a consulate but still exists.  Thus office=government, government=[diplomatic, consular}, diplomatic=[embassy, high_commission, nunciature, legation, interests_section, branch_embassy, liaison_office] might be what we are looking for.