Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 at 10:07, Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Voting is still open for another couple of days if you haven't already done so, but would like to.

Incidentally, I just spotted a couple of comments that had been raised with voting. Sorry, but I didn't get any notification of your votes or comments, so have only just seen them, but have now responded on the talk page.

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Graeme Fitzpatrick
It gives me great pleasure to advise that voting closed with a result of 18 yes, 6 no = 75% approval, so the proposal is accepted.

Thank you all for your support & valuable comments. Those who expressed concerns, please don't worry, I will be taking them into consideration during clean-up & creating the actual page.

One thing with regard to the vote did concern me though.

I noticed that two of the No votes came from people with no User or Talk pages (& yes, I know they aren't required - I only created my own a few weeks ago!), however, it also appears that neither of these people have ever mapped in OSM?

I saw reference recently with regard to names being created purely for voting purposes in the past, so it appears this may still be happening?

Is there anybody that this should be raised with, the DWG perhaps?

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Feature Proposal - Voting - Military Bases

Joseph Eisenberg
Re: " two of the No votes came from people with no User or Talk pages ...  it also appears that neither of these people have ever mapped in OSM"

That's not certain. There is no requirement to create the same username when mapping and for the wiki.

Re: concerns -

I hope we can clarify which sorts of landuse=military should NOT use this tag. If that's done I will be perfectly happy with it.

I would suggest that the description should be taken as AND requirements, not AND/OR:

"A military base is a facility, directly owned and operated by or for the military or one of its branches, which houses military equipment and personnel and facilitates training and operations"

Certainly a facility which houses military equipment AND, personnel, AND is used for training AND operations is certainly a base.

The issue is what to do with a landuse=military that only houses military equipment (e.g. a chemical weapons storage facility), or which is only used for training but does not have permanent housing or operations facilities. I think other tags should be created for these sort of places, and military=base should be limited to the fully-developed facilities that have all those requirements.

-- Joseph Eisenberg

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 3:46 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Brian M. Sperlongano

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 7:19 PM António Madeira <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm all in favour of only allowing voting to real OSM accounts

Would the community support a change to the yes/no/abstain templates, to add a parameter where someone might specify their OSM username?