Fedora install help

Jeff Scott
Hi everyone, I'm new to mapnik 2 and I'm having a couple issues that I could use some help with.

I'm trying to get mapnik 2 running on fedora 15 using mysql as the primary datasource.  It looks like mapnik doesn't have a way to connect natively so I have to use the ogr plugin for that, right?

To do that I think I have to build from source, but when I run "sudo scons/scons.py configure INPUT_PLUGINS=shape,gdal,ogr,sqlite" I get a bunch of missing dependencies, including 6 boost packages which I can see are installed.

So I guess my first question is: do I need to build from source to be able to connect to mysql?  And if so, is there something obviously wrong about what I'm doing?

Thanks for any insights you might have,

Jeff

Re: Fedora install help

Dane Springmeyer
Hi Jeff,

But, I'll answer below...

On Mar 23, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Jeff Scott wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new to mapnik 2 and I'm having a couple issues that I could use some help with.

I'm trying to get mapnik 2 running on fedora 15 using mysql as the primary datasource.  It looks like mapnik doesn't have a way to connect natively so I have to use the ogr plugin for that, right?

Right, ogr plugin would be the only way.

To do that I think I have to build from source,

It depends on whether fedora packages build that plugin by default. Its sounds like you've found they do not, but they could and should.

but when I run "sudo scons/scons.py configure INPUT_PLUGINS=shape,gdal,ogr,sqlite" I get a bunch of missing dependencies, including 6 boost packages which I can see are installed.

can you http://dpaste.com your 'config.log' It should contain more detail about why the boost packages are not valid.

The most likely thing is that you are missing the development headers, which likely have their own packages.

So I guess my first question is: do I need to build from source to be able to connect to mysql?

You'll need an ogr/gdal library built with mysql support. You should test this FIRST before getting mapnik going. Then if your ogr/gdal does have mysql support, then you should be good to go if you compile the Mapnik OGR plugin.