Finding duplicate node points near other nodes of the same type?

Finding duplicate node points near other nodes of the same type?

Stewart C. Russell
Hi,

This would be a fairly easy query in a GIS, but it seems rather more
difficult using OSM tools.

By accident, I added some duplicate nodes (with k="generator:source",
v="wind") in the middle of a large wind farm. Someone had already
entered a few turbines from Bing, and I didn't see them in my JOSM edit
run. Now there are approximately 10 duplicate turbines in this 110
turbine project.

A couple of the turbines I added are far enough away that you can make
out two distinct node icons. Others are so close that you might catch a
hint of an overlapping icon. All of them are likely within 50m of the
duplicate. As a rule of thumb, wind turbines are very seldom placed
closer than 3x their diameters, which is around 240 m for these turbines.

I don't want to wipe the whole changeset, as that would remove most of
the project, and my tagging is a bit more detailed than the existing
nodes. Is there a way to select/highlight nodes with similar key/value
pairs that closer than X metres from one another?

cheers,
 Stewart

Re: Finding duplicate node points near other nodes of the same type?

Cartinus
Use the revert plugin in JOSM to revert your changeset, but don't upload
the changes.

Load the area again, but in new layer. Make the changes you want in the
new layer.

Delete the layer with the reverted changeset.

Upload your edits.

On 03/04/2013 12:39 AM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This would be a fairly easy query in a GIS, but it seems rather more
> difficult using OSM tools.
>
> By accident, I added some duplicate nodes (with k="generator:source",
> v="wind") in the middle of a large wind farm. Someone had already
> entered a few turbines from Bing, and I didn't see them in my JOSM edit
> run. Now there are approximately 10 duplicate turbines in this 110
> turbine project.
>
> A couple of the turbines I added are far enough away that you can make
> out two distinct node icons. Others are so close that you might catch a
> hint of an overlapping icon. All of them are likely within 50m of the
> duplicate. As a rule of thumb, wind turbines are very seldom placed
> closer than 3x their diameters, which is around 240 m for these turbines.
>
> I don't want to wipe the whole changeset, as that would remove most of
> the project, and my tagging is a bit more detailed than the existing
> nodes. Is there a way to select/highlight nodes with similar key/value
> pairs that closer than X metres from one another?
>
> cheers,
>  Stewart

---
m.v.g.,
Cartinus

On 03-03-13 18:50 , Cartinus wrote:
> Use the revert plugin in JOSM to revert your changeset, but don't upload
> the changes.

I tried what you suggested, but the changeset covers approximately 80 sq
km and I could only make out one of the duplicate nodes.

Looks like I'm going to have to do this in QGIS.

cheers,
 Stewart