Finding the closest city to a point

Ciprian Talaba-2
I am working on a small Python app that will be able to automatically
tag GPX files, by adding the name of the closest city/town (or maybe in
the future will add all the towns alongside  the route). I am trying to
do that but at this moment the possible objects type to be used in a
find_closest call includes only the towns, and this gives me some headache.

I propose to add 'city' to object types, and possible create a simple
type that will find *any* inhabitant place around a point (this will
include city, town and village).

Thanks,
Ciprian

Re: Finding the closest city to a point

Taras Murashko
Hello Ciprian,

Ciprian Talaba-2 wrote
I am working on a small Python app that will be able to automatically
tag GPX files, by adding the name of the closest city/town (or maybe in
the future will add all the towns alongside  the route). I am trying to
do that but at this moment the possible objects type to be used in a
find_closest call includes only the towns, and this gives me some headache.
Thanks for indicating problem it will be fixed soon.
Ciprian Talaba-2 wrote
I propose to add 'city' to object types, and possible create a simple
type that will find *any* inhabitant place around a point (this will
include city, town and village).
We plan to indicate more gerenaral solution, when you can pass list of object types you looking for.
It will look something like /geocoding/closest/city, town, village/50.05563,13.86563.js
Ciprian Talaba-2 wrote
Thanks,
Ciprian
WBR,
Taras Murashko

WBR,
Taras Murashko

Re: Finding the closest city to a point

Ciprian Talaba-2
Hello Taras,

Taras Murashko wrote:
> Hello Ciprian
> Thanks for indicating problem it will be fixed soon.
> We plan to indicate more gerenaral solution, when you can pass list of
> object types you looking for.
> It will look something like /geocoding/closest/city, town,
> village/50.05563,13.86563.js

This is a nice general solution, and hopefully it will be simple to use
this from Python API by creating your own string that will contain the
desired object types and send it a the first parameter to
geocoding.find_closest API call.

Thanks,
Ciprian