Quantcast

Fixing Multipolygons

Jochen123
Hi!

as some of you might have seen we have a huge effort going on to fix
broken multipolygons and re-tag old-style multipolygons (those where the
tags are on the outer way(s) instead of on the relation) into the
current style.

You can read all about it on http://area.jochentopf.com/ .

As you can see on the map at http://area.jochentopf.com/map/index.html
most of the old-style multipolygons now left are from some large-scale
imports, including some in the US. We need your help in cleaning this
up! I you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688

Re: Fixing Multipolygons

Bryan Housel
Jochen thanks for taking the lead on this issue!

I just wanted to add for anyone working on this effort, old-style multipolygons will render a bit differently in iD soon.
They will have little gaps along the edge, screenshot here:

Anyone who is interested in trying out this new version of iD can do so here:
(And please report any issues that you find: https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues )

If you are looking for old-style multipolygons to clean up, head over to my home state of New Jersey, which is full of them.
As a bonus, many of them are also tagged with the deprecated `landuse=farm`. :)

Thanks, Bryan

On Apr 21, 2017, at 3:40 AM, Jochen Topf <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi!

as some of you might have seen we have a huge effort going on to fix
broken multipolygons and re-tag old-style multipolygons (those where the
tags are on the outer way(s) instead of on the relation) into the
current style.

You can read all about it on http://area.jochentopf.com/ .

As you can see on the map at http://area.jochentopf.com/map/index.html
most of the old-style multipolygons now left are from some large-scale
imports, including some in the US. We need your help in cleaning this
up! I you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688

Re: Fixing Multipolygons

Kevin Kenny-4
How current is the information behind your map? I've been tidying some multipolygons locally, and they seem to be rendering only on the left side. I don't think I've actually broken anything. If it might be more than a couple of weeks old, then I can explain that it's simply rendering old, bad data.

On Apr 21, 2017 7:48 AM, "Jochen Topf" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi!

as some of you might have seen we have a huge effort going on to fix
broken multipolygons and re-tag old-style multipolygons (those where the
tags are on the outer way(s) instead of on the relation) into the
current style.

You can read all about it on http://area.jochentopf.com/ .

As you can see on the map at http://area.jochentopf.com/map/index.html
most of the old-style multipolygons now left are from some large-scale
imports, including some in the US. We need your help in cleaning this
up! I you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  https://www.jochentopf.com/  <a href="tel:%2B49-351-31778688" value="+4935131778688">+49-351-31778688

Re: Fixing Multipolygons

Jochen123
Hi!

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 02:19:25PM -0400, Kevin Kenny wrote:
> How current is the information behind your map? I've been tidying some
> multipolygons locally, and they seem to be rendering only on the left side.
> I don't think I've actually broken anything. If it might be more than a
> couple of weeks old, then I can explain that it's simply rendering old, bad
> data.

The map data is updated continuously from minutely diffs, but the map
tiles weren't expired automatically, so you might well have been seeing
old data. I have added a daily expiry now.

The overlay with the red multipolygon outlines is updated and the tiles
expired daily.

If you still see discrepancies, check the OSM Inspector
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=areas . If it reports any problems,
fix those. Then, if there are still problems, email me or open an issue
at https://github.com/osmlab/fixing-polygons-in-osm/issues with specific
information about the OSM objects that are rendered incorrectly.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [hidden email]  https://www.jochentopf.com/  +49-351-31778688