Quantcast

Flood modelling

Hanlie Pretorius
Dear jgrass users,

I'm a student who wants to do my masters thesis using an
implementation of flood modelling. Unfortunately I have not been able
to find much documentation on jgrass on the internet.

Does jgrass have any modules/implementations of flood models, i.e.
models that incorporate hydrological and hydraulic models? If so,
where can I find information on these modules?

Thanks
Hanlie

Re: Flood modelling

Riccardo Rigon
Dear Hanlie,

JGrass embeds a couple of models for rainfall runoff.

One is PeakFlow which covers discharge simulations in flood regime using a goemorphological approach. The papers (for the theory) are:

- D'Odorico, P. and R. Rigon, Hillslope and channels contribution to the hydrologic response, Water Resour Res, 39(5) , 1-9,  2003

- Rinaldo A., G. K. Vogel, R., Rigon and I. Rodriguez-Iturbe, Can one gauge the shape of a basin?, Water Resources Research, (31)4, 1119-1127, 1995

A short introduction can be given by my own slides (and you will receive right away an invitation to join a dropbox where you wll find them: any suggestion is welcomed)

For understanding the whole thing, you can also look at  http://www.slideshare.net/GEOFRAMEcafe/rr-reflections slides that presents the rational for simplifications in different models (including PeakFlow).

Another model, much more complex and not yet documented model is newAge, on which a little of information can be found on the above slideshare presentation, but on which, if you are really interested we can do an effort to introduce it to you.

We have also other models, like GEOtop (http://www.geotop.org) that have further degrees of complexities. Using which models depends on your goals.

Hope this helps,

riccardo

On Jun 15, 2010, at 9:08 AM, Hanlie Pretorius wrote:

Dear jgrass users,

I'm a student who wants to do my masters thesis using an
implementation of flood modelling. Unfortunately I have not been able
to find much documentation on jgrass on the internet.

Does jgrass have any modules/implementations of flood models, i.e.
models that incorporate hydrological and hydraulic models? If so,
where can I find information on these modules?

Thanks
Hanlie

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
Publications according to ISI: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/B-5395-2008
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/