Forum admin(s) wanted

Daniel Koć
Hi,

It seems that Lambertus, the admin of OSM forum, is not accessible for
some time:

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=54959

Does anybody know what's going on and if there's another forum admin who
can be contacted instead of him?

Nothing bad happened, only some annoyances to be solved, I just like to
know if the community still has the control over this part of the
project infrastructure.

--
"Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Daniel Koć
W dniu 14.07.2016 23:46, Hakuch napisał(a):

> did you try to contact him by mail? I had last contact in april and
> could try again

Last time it was in September 2015, so not lately. =} Please, try again
and let us know.

I'm glad at least we have spam protection working, which was a big issue
he managed to do. However if it's just one person dealing with forum, I
think we have a problem - if not now, then in the future.

--
"Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Michał Brzozowski
Somebody also tried to contact Lambertus to no avail, asking for
creation of users:Iceland
http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=55089

Michał

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Daniel Koć <daniel@koć.pl> wrote:

> W dniu 14.07.2016 23:46, Hakuch napisał(a):
>
>> did you try to contact him by mail? I had last contact in april and
>> could try again
>

> Last time it was in September 2015, so not lately. =} Please, try again and
> let us know.
>
> I'm glad at least we have spam protection working, which was a big issue he
> managed to do. However if it's just one person dealing with forum, I think
> we have a problem - if not now, then in the future.
>

> --
> "Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Daniel Koć
W dniu 15.07.2016 0:42, Michał Brzozowski napisał(a):
> Somebody also tried to contact Lambertus to no avail, asking for
> creation of users:Iceland
> http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=55089

It's not created yet, however (as a forum moderator) I've just found
that last action on report he took on 2016-07-11 21:57:05, so he's not
entirely absent. He's just hard to contact, we don't know what's going
on and who could act instead of him, which is still bad enough for me.

--
"Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Hakuch

On 16.08.2016 00:59, Michał Brzozowski wrote:>
> Can anybody launch these "other ways" now?

I talked to him in april about that problem and he was thankful that
there is discussions about "how to go forward" with the forum. He wanted
to respond some days later but didn't. I tried to contact him again
several times. Yesterday I tried again by wiki-discussion, osm message,
email and even changeset comment. Iam still hopeful, that he will answer
and would like to wait two more weeks and don't blow the topic to big
until then. Either he will answer, or he won't. If there are any other
ways to contact him, that would be great.
But after that two weeks (its more than 4 month then), I think its not
premature to discuss about a plan B.

On 16.08.2016 00:42, Simon Poole wrote:
> Further I've heard that some people are **attempting to scrape the whole
> forum** which is likely not the best thing to do if we want the site to
> stay up (Grant isn't here but iirc there was at least an oldish backup
> somewhere).

Scraping wouldnt hurt the server if its done over a longer periode of
time. Anyway, its just a possibility that I mentioned. Its not a plan,
and Iam not "attempting to scrape the whole forum". But it could be
done, if there would be a new server and software and we still dont have
any answer or access.

0x3CBE432B.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Daniel Koć
W dniu 16.08.2016 0:42, Simon Poole napisał(a):
> May I suggest that switching to panic mode is a bit premature.
> Lambertus
> last contribution to OSM is just over half a year old, and there are
> other ways to contact people than just e-mail.

Let me remind my own words: "I've just found that last action on report
he took on 2016-07-11 21:57:05, so he's not entirely absent." (this
record is now invisible, since only 10 last actions are listed for
moderators). Yet he didn't answer anything on the forum or on the list -
strange, isn't it? No mail contact since few months. And there's still
no forum created for Iceland, even if it's quite easy to do and probably
important for this community.

I don't consider it a panic mode - that would be "forum is not working
anymore, we need a new server NOW!". It will take some time to make a
transition (like weeks or months) and it's always better to start before
anything bad will happen, so this is probably the right moment.

If we have no current backup available, I think it would be good to have
a script harvesting all the entries even just via plain HTML, with
publishing date, username and user id, so we could recreate it more or
less on the new server. Old backup may have some value, but most of the
time fresh content is what really matters.

--
"Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Nicolás Alvarez
> If we have no current backup available, I think it would be good to have a
> script harvesting all the entries even just via plain HTML, with publishing
> date, username and user id, so we could recreate it more or less on the new
> server. Old backup may have some value, but most of the time fresh content
> is what really matters.

ArchiveTeam.org is already doing this HTML backup.

--
Nicolás

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson
Þann 16.08.2016 00:24, Nicolás Alvarez reit:

>> If we have no current backup available, I think it would be good to
>> have a
>> script harvesting all the entries even just via plain HTML, with
>> publishing
>> date, username and user id, so we could recreate it more or less on
>> the new
>> server. Old backup may have some value, but most of the time fresh
>> content
>> is what really matters.
>
> ArchiveTeam.org is already doing this HTML backup.

With access to forums you only see after login?

As for "no panic" then we've got several projects cooking in Iceland
after a beneficial annual meeting but we've not launched them yet
because we don't want to fragment any more than strictly needed so the
forum issue has been plaguing us. We could set up our own forum and go
from there but that is counter-productive in the long run.

We would like the matter to be resolved shortly, pumping up enthusiasm
and belief in projects is hard work and harder when the organizational
tools we wanted to adhere to are broken (in this case in a logistical
more than technical way).

--Jóhannes

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Hakuch
On 16.08.2016 11:45, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
> Þann 16.08.2016 00:24, Nicolás Alvarez reit:
>> ArchiveTeam.org is already doing this HTML backup.

> With access to forums you only see after login?

The scraping is not about a html-backup. What we would need for
transfering the old posts into a new forum software is the raw DB Data.
If we cant get them from the server itself, we have to reproduce it from
the html view. My script is able to do that.

> As for "no panic" then we've got several projects cooking in Iceland
> after a beneficial annual meeting but we've not launched them yet
> because we don't want to fragment any more than strictly needed so the
> forum issue has been plaguing us. We could set up our own forum and go
> from there but that is counter-productive in the long run.

as this new-server-software project will take some time. How do you
think about hijacking another country-subforum? There are a lot where no
one is active with only very few posts. I would accept it as temporary
solution.

W dniu 16.08.2016 12:04, Hakuch napisał(a):

> as this new-server-software project will take some time. How do you
> think about hijacking another country-subforum? There are a lot where
> no
> one is active with only very few posts. I would accept it as temporary
> solution.

No need to invade Uruguay or Venezuela (both low volume with last
activity in March)... ;-P I think general chat is the best place to
start, since it is also low volume and may be used for things which have
no better place to be discussed - especially with subjects like
"[Iceland] National parks":

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=9

If Lambertus ever wake up, it will be just a matter of pushing them to a
new subforum, so nothing would be lost and no fragmentation will occur.
If not, it will still be easy to do on a new server.

It would be a pity to not start community work just because there is no
optimal place!

--
"Low, low, low..." [M. Kempa]

Re: Forum admin(s) wanted

Microgamer
As Hakuch already says: The project "new server" will take some time.
I don't know what all has to be done, to fire up the server, set the admins into position etc.
I think that we should go with an other forum, because fluxbb seems not to be that easy to handle.
Then all software we need has to be installed on the server. Then the forum itself comes onto the server.
This is the time when we have to have a template which matches the OSM style. Several plugins have to been written/installed. E.g. the OAuth-Plugin.

In general for the server i would expect that we have 3 admins and a 3rd organisation (OSMF) with credentials for the server, the database and the forum-administration. So this case cannot happen. More rights for the mods are possible as well :DD

So it's a bit of work and i think we should start as fast as possible with this project.
With the freeze-time sb has already said, Iceland has to wait at least 4 weeks for their forum to be installed. So we don't have that much time.
I assume that some organisation, probably the OSMF, has to put the admins into power. So sb, whe knows the system better than me, should probably write the procedure here.

An other thing I don't understand... Why do we have to wait, when the current admin didn't answer the question from iceland for some month already?

Regards
Micro

Sent from ProtonMail, Swiss-based encrypted email.

W dniu 16.08.2016 11:45, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson napisał(a):

> As for "no panic" then we've got several projects cooking in Iceland
> after a beneficial annual meeting but we've not launched them yet
> because we don't want to fragment any more than strictly needed so the
> forum issue has been plaguing us. We could set up our own forum and go
> from there but that is counter-productive in the long run.

Jóhannes, "Users: Iceland" subforum is finally created:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewforum.php?id=90

What's more important, the whole forum is now migrated to a server under
OSMF control, so it's pretty safe now:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=613559#p613559

--
"To co ludzie zwą marskością wątroby/ Tak naprawdę jest śmiercią z
tęsknoty" [Afro Kolektyw]