Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2

Hi

Is there any free spatial database available in the market?

Thanks in advance

Babu
On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are you comfortable with the SoC submission process? So far you are
doing well to talk to others on the developers list (a factor that
mentors consider when they try and choose which proposals to support).

The outlines of Ideas on the wiki page are just enough to get you
thinking; you should focus on coming up with a strong proposal.

Jody

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Yeonhoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm interested to participate in to the project as gsoc.
> What should be the next step? As you said I'm getting familiar with involved
> techs.
>
> Regards,
>
> yeonhoo
>
> 2009/2/20 Jesse Eichar <[hidden email]>
>>
>> HI,
>> As far as I know no one is currently working on this.  I would be happy to
>> help.  There are some eclipse based IM frameworks.  For example Eclipse
>> Communication Framework that could be useful to start with.
>> Jesse
>> On 18-Feb-09, at 6:58 PM, yeon hoo lee wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>> I'm interested in GeoIRC and I'd like to know if someone already working
>> on and if possible my participation,  I'd like more detail information about
>> it
>>
>> I searched in udig email archive and I just found one related thread on
>> this link
>> (http://lists.refractions.net/pipermail/udig-devel/2008-June/011692.html)
>> And this (http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/HACK/GeoIRC)
>>
>> I'll be appreciate with any suggestion :)
>>
>> ps: sorry for my poor english.
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>> yeonhoo

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
PostGIS

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Babu
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Are you comfortable with the SoC submission process? So far you are
>> doing well to talk to others on the developers list (a factor that
>> mentors consider when they try and choose which proposals to support).
>>
>> The outlines of Ideas on the wiki page are just enough to get you
>> thinking; you should focus on coming up with a strong proposal.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Yeonhoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm interested to participate in to the project as gsoc.
>> > What should be the next step? As you said I'm getting familiar with
>> > involved
>> > techs.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > yeonhoo

spaces in filepaths

Luke.Temby

g'day all,

I've been having issues with exports of my udig based application. Whenever I run the application from a filepath containing a space character, it behaves incorrectly. It fails to render a geotiff and does not pick up my styles (defined in sld files). However, whith no spaces in the filepath, it behaves fine. I believe that when there's a space, it is not finding the jre that is exported with the application.

Has anyone here experienced a similar issue? Did you manage to solve the problem?

Luke

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Hi Jody

I just want to save my layers(drawn by me) in to the database.I mean If I draw a seperate layer (polygon layer or any..) on to the Map, then I need to save that layer itself in the database , and have to retrive whenever it requires..My base map will be in to our local systems , but we will fetch the extra layers from the database.

I belive you can take me  to the correct way..

Is it possible with sqlserver2005 database?

We are planning to use Mysql or PostGIs.. which one is best for this task?

Thanks in advance

Babu
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
PostGIS

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Babu
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Are you comfortable with the SoC submission process? So far you are
>> doing well to talk to others on the developers list (a factor that
>> mentors consider when they try and choose which proposals to support).
>>
>> The outlines of Ideas on the wiki page are just enough to get you
>> thinking; you should focus on coming up with a strong proposal.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 1:53 PM, Yeonhoo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I'm interested to participate in to the project as gsoc.
>> > What should be the next step? As you said I'm getting familiar with
>> > involved
>> > techs.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > yeonhoo

Re: Free spaital database

Vivek Chaure
On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hi
 Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
 Thanks in advance
 Babu

Go for Oracle 10 or Oracle 11g spatial which can be obtained from the oracle site upon registration.

Vivek M. Chaure

Re: spaces in filepaths

Jody Garnett-2
Now that you mention this I do recall seeing something like this in a
udig training course (where the workspace was defined in the users
home directory (causing a space due to "Documentation and Settings"
folder).

I did not have time to collect a stack trace or thing; sounds like we
have a bug to report. Since you are making your own application;
perhaps you can give it a run in the debugger and see where the file
is not being picked up.

Jody

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> g'day all,
>
> I've been having issues with exports of my udig based application. Whenever
> I run the application from a filepath containing a space character, it
> behaves incorrectly. It fails to render a geotiff and does not pick up my
> styles (defined in sld files). However, whith no spaces in the filepath, it
> behaves fine. I believe that when there's a space, it is not finding the jre
> that is exported with the application.
>
> Has anyone here experienced a similar issue? Did you manage to solve the
> problem?
>
> Luke

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
PostGIS is a good open source one; as mentioned vy Mr Chaure there are
some free to download alternatives in the form of DB2 and Oracle (my
understanding is these are usually limited to developer only license).

MySQL is not really in the running I am afraid; I got a bit of the
back story on the why of that at the Sydney OSDC confernece.
Apparently geometry was origionally spliced in by a talented group of
developers who used it as a calling card to get hired. When they were
hired the development stopped. I hope with spatial becoming more a
growing concern that MySQL can shape up.

Until then PostGIS really is a good recommendation. You can use uDig
to create new tables; and all of that stuff.

Jody

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jody
>
> I just want to save my layers(drawn by me) in to the database.I mean If I
> draw a seperate layer (polygon layer or any..) on to the Map, then I need to
> save that layer itself in the database , and have to retrive whenever it
> requires..My base map will be in to our local systems , but we will fetch
> the extra layers from the database.
>
> I belive you can take me  to the correct way..
>
> Is it possible with sqlserver2005 database?
>
> We are planning to use Mysql or PostGIs.. which one is best for this task?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Babu
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> PostGIS
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Babu

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Thanks for your reply..

Hi Jody

I have installed postgreSQL in my system  and I was trying to connect to the database through postgrejdbc driver but I could not.
I tried in two ways

1-> Added jar to the project and trying to add that jar in to my calsspath in menifest.mf runtime tab, But it was not showing any jars to add.

2-> Created a plugin project based on postgrejdbc.jar ,even thogh I did not find that jar in to my menifest.mf file..

Is there any special way to do this?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
PostGIS is a good open source one; as mentioned vy Mr Chaure there are
some free to download alternatives in the form of DB2 and Oracle (my
understanding is these are usually limited to developer only license).

MySQL is not really in the running I am afraid; I got a bit of the
back story on the why of that at the Sydney OSDC confernece.
Apparently geometry was origionally spliced in by a talented group of
developers who used it as a calling card to get hired. When they were
hired the development stopped. I hope with spatial becoming more a
growing concern that MySQL can shape up.

Until then PostGIS really is a good recommendation. You can use uDig
to create new tables; and all of that stuff.

Jody

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jody
>
> I just want to save my layers(drawn by me) in to the database.I mean If I
> draw a seperate layer (polygon layer or any..) on to the Map, then I need to
> save that layer itself in the database , and have to retrive whenever it
> requires..My base map will be in to our local systems , but we will fetch
> the extra layers from the database.
>
> I belive you can take me  to the correct way..
>
> Is it possible with sqlserver2005 database?
>
> We are planning to use Mysql or PostGIs.. which one is best for this task?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Babu
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> PostGIS
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Babu

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Hi Jody

I am able to connect to the Database now..

Thanks
Babu

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:09 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for your reply..

Hi Jody

I have installed postgreSQL in my system  and I was trying to connect to the database through postgrejdbc driver but I could not.
I tried in two ways

1-> Added jar to the project and trying to add that jar in to my calsspath in menifest.mf runtime tab, But it was not showing any jars to add.

2-> Created a plugin project based on postgrejdbc.jar ,even thogh I did not find that jar in to my menifest.mf file..

Is there any special way to do this?

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
PostGIS is a good open source one; as mentioned vy Mr Chaure there are
some free to download alternatives in the form of DB2 and Oracle (my
understanding is these are usually limited to developer only license).

MySQL is not really in the running I am afraid; I got a bit of the
back story on the why of that at the Sydney OSDC confernece.
Apparently geometry was origionally spliced in by a talented group of
developers who used it as a calling card to get hired. When they were
hired the development stopped. I hope with spatial becoming more a
growing concern that MySQL can shape up.

Until then PostGIS really is a good recommendation. You can use uDig
to create new tables; and all of that stuff.

Jody

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Jody
>
> I just want to save my layers(drawn by me) in to the database.I mean If I
> draw a seperate layer (polygon layer or any..) on to the Map, then I need to
> save that layer itself in the database , and have to retrive whenever it
> requires..My base map will be in to our local systems , but we will fetch
> the extra layers from the database.
>
> I belive you can take me  to the correct way..
>
> Is it possible with sqlserver2005 database?
>
> We are planning to use Mysql or PostGIs.. which one is best for this task?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Babu
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> PostGIS
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> >

>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Babu

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
At a java level JDBC drivers need to be kicked before they actually
work; usually you do a "class for name" method somwhere as your
application starts up.

It sounds like you are having issues with Eclipse and jar handling
however? The required jdbc driver is already available in
net.refractions.udig.libs.

So you can either look at the plugin to see how it was done; or depend
on that plugin and start writing jdbc code.

Jody

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for your reply..
>
> Hi Jody
>
> I have installed postgreSQL in my system  and I was trying to connect to the
> database through postgrejdbc driver but I could not.
> I tried in two ways
>
> 1-> Added jar to the project and trying to add that jar in to my calsspath
> in menifest.mf runtime tab, But it was not showing any jars to add.
>
> 2-> Created a plugin project based on postgrejdbc.jar ,even thogh I did not
> find that jar in to my menifest.mf file..
>
> Is there any special way to do this?
>

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> PostGIS is a good open source one; as mentioned vy Mr Chaure there are
>> some free to download alternatives in the form of DB2 and Oracle (my
>> understanding is these are usually limited to developer only license).
>>
>> MySQL is not really in the running I am afraid; I got a bit of the
>> back story on the why of that at the Sydney OSDC confernece.
>> Apparently geometry was origionally spliced in by a talented group of
>> developers who used it as a calling card to get hired. When they were
>> hired the development stopped. I hope with spatial becoming more a
>> growing concern that MySQL can shape up.
>>
>> Until then PostGIS really is a good recommendation. You can use uDig
>> to create new tables; and all of that stuff.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Jody
>> >
>> > I just want to save my layers(drawn by me) in to the database.I mean If
>> > draw a seperate layer (polygon layer or any..) on to the Map, then I
>> > need to
>> > save that layer itself in the database , and have to retrive whenever it
>> > requires..My base map will be in to our local systems , but we will
>> > fetch
>> > the extra layers from the database.
>> >
>> > I belive you can take me  to the correct way..
>> >
>> > Is it possible with sqlserver2005 database?
>> >
>> > We are planning to use Mysql or PostGIs.. which one is best for this
>> > task?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Babu

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Yes Jody, There was a problem with my jdbc code, Now I can connect to PostGis .

Now I am thinnking Where to start?

I mean If I add an extra layer (polygon layer) using uDig and once I save the layer then it wil be stored as a .shp file. is it the proper way to store layer into database?.
Otherwise will I need to store as a polygons into the database,and again where can I get these polygon values in to my uDig program?

please take me through right way..

Thanks in advance.
Babu
On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
At a java level JDBC drivers need to be kicked before they actually
work; usually you do a "class for name" method somwhere as your
application starts up.

It sounds like you are having issues with Eclipse and jar handling
however? The required jdbc driver is already available in
net.refractions.udig.libs.

So you can either look at the plugin to see how it was done; or depend
on that plugin and start writing jdbc code.

Jody

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:09 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply..
>
> Hi Jody
>
> I have installed postgreSQL in my system  and I was trying to connect to the
> database through postgrejdbc driver but I could not.
> I tried in two ways
>
> 1-> Added jar to the project and trying to add that jar in to my calsspath
> in menifest.mf runtime tab, But it was not showing any jars to add.
>
> 2-> Created a plugin project based on postgrejdbc.jar ,even thogh I did not
> find that jar in to my menifest.mf file..
>
> Is there any special way to do this?
>

> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> PostGIS is a good open source one; as mentioned vy Mr Chaure there are
>> some free to download alternatives in the form of DB2 and Oracle (my
>> understanding is these are usually limited to developer only license).
>>
>> MySQL is not really in the running I am afraid; I got a bit of the
>> back story on the why of that at the Sydney OSDC confernece.
>> Apparently geometry was origionally spliced in by a talented group of
>> developers who used it as a calling card to get hired. When they were
>> hired the development stopped. I hope with spatial becoming more a
>> growing concern that MySQL can shape up.
>>
>> Until then PostGIS really is a good recommendation. You can use uDig
>> to create new tables; and all of that stuff.
>>
>> Jody
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi Jody
>> >
>> > I just want to save my layers(drawn by me) in to the database.I mean If
>> > draw a seperate layer (polygon layer or any..) on to the Map, then I
>> > need to
>> > save that layer itself in the database , and have to retrive whenever it
>> > requires..My base map will be in to our local systems , but we will
>> > fetch
>> > the extra layers from the database.
>> >
>> > I belive you can take me  to the correct way..
>> >
>> > Is it possible with sqlserver2005 database?
>> >
>> > We are planning to use Mysql or PostGIs.. which one is best for this
>> > task?
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>> >
>> > Babu

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
> Now I am thinnking Where to start?

Yes this is the joy of programming :-)

> I mean If I add an extra layer (polygon layer) using uDig and once I save
> the layer then it wil be stored as a .shp file. is it the proper way to
> store layer into database?

Have a look in the tutorials folder where there is an operation to
export a shapefile; you can modify this same approach to export to a
postgis table. I have done this for customers twice now; but so far it
has not
made it back into udig core.

Strictly as a user: you can also use the "create type" operation to
make a new postgis table; and then copy and paste data into the table.

> Otherwise will I need to store as a polygons into the database,and again
> where can I get these polygon values in to my uDig program? please take me through right way..

You can perform a query against a layer:
1. resolve the layer to a FeatureSource
2. featureSource.getFeatures( filter ) will give you a FeatureCollection
3. go through the feature collection to get the features
4. each feature has attributes; one or more of which will by a
geometry (ie a polygon?)

I think this may also be covered by a code example:
- http://udig.refractions.net/confluence/display/DEV/1+Code+Examples

Re: spaces in filepaths

Jody Garnett-2
It has been a couple of days; and I have not heard from you. As such
let me see if I can help out...

Here is a bug report: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/UDIG-1499

Now we can use this to keep track of notes.
Jody

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 3:56 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> g'day all,
>
> I've been having issues with exports of my udig based application. Whenever
> I run the application from a filepath containing a space character, it
> behaves incorrectly. It fails to render a geotiff and does not pick up my
> styles (defined in sld files). However, whith no spaces in the filepath, it
> behaves fine. I believe that when there's a space, it is not finding the jre
> that is exported with the application.
>
> Has anyone here experienced a similar issue? Did you manage to solve the
> problem?
>
> Luke

Re: Free spaital database

Riccardo Rigon
H2 Spatial (Inside JGrass).

rr

On Mar 24, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Vivek Chaure wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hi
 Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
 Thanks in advance
 Babu

Go for Oracle 10 or Oracle 11g spatial which can be obtained from the oracle site upon registration.

Vivek M. Chaure

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Hi Jody. Thanks a lot, you have given an wonderful solution for my problem, Even though I could not complete it(my mistake).

I gone through the ShpExport plugin and I have changed accordingly,But my question here is how can I get the data from Map.
I mean I can create a postGis table manually here,But how I can paste the data into table,Is there any predefined code in the shpexport class.First I will finsih stroing the data into database then i will try how to fetch it. you want me to write query to fetch the data?

Thanks in advance
Babu

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Riccardo Rigon <[hidden email]> wrote:
H2 Spatial (Inside JGrass).

rr

On Mar 24, 2009, at 11:51 AM, Vivek Chaure wrote:

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 8:21 AM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
 Hi
 Is there any free spatial database available in the market?
 Thanks in advance
 Babu

Go for Oracle 10 or Oracle 11g spatial which can be obtained from the oracle site upon registration.

Vivek M. Chaure

Universita` di Trento         Dipartimento di Ingegneria Civile  e  Ambientale/CUDAM
Via Mesiano, 77, 38050  Trento      (ITALIA)
E-mail[hidden email]
Ph: +390461882614-10    Fax:+390461882672
JGrass (Open Source GIS): http://www.jgrass.org/
GEOtop (Open Source distributed hydrological model):  http://www.geotop.org/

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
> I gone through the ShpExport plugin and I have changed accordingly,But my
> question here is how can I get the data from Map.

The operation is available when you right click on a layer. Check the
plugin.xml file and look for a section on "operations".

> I mean I can create a postGis table manually here,But how I can paste the
> data into table,Is there any predefined code in the shpexport class. First I
> will finsih stroing the data into database then i will try how to fetch it.
> you want me to write query to fetch the data?

Correct; the code example should show how to perform a query. Indeed
their are a few examples to this effect.
Jody

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Thanks  a lot jodi, Yes I looked at the operations Section and I have creataed a new operation named as "exp to database" and I have written a new class for that and I am able to call that class, But here in my program I have liitlebit confusion, I mean in which format we will get the data programitically in my class.I did not see any coordinates in the program. I am trying to create a new table once user clicks the "exp to database" tab  and planning to store the polygons or ? in to the table. is it the right way?

Sorry for my confusion..

Thanks in advance

babu
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I gone through the ShpExport plugin and I have changed accordingly,But my
> question here is how can I get the data from Map.

The operation is available when you right click on a layer. Check the
plugin.xml file and look for a section on "operations".

> I mean I can create a postGis table manually here,But how I can paste the
> data into table,Is there any predefined code in the shpexport class. First I
> will finsih stroing the data into database then i will try how to fetch it.
> you want me to write query to fetch the data?

Correct; the code example should show how to perform a query. Indeed
their are a few examples to this effect.
Jody

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
The format the data comes in is called "features"; part of a feature
is a geometry; the other part is attributes (like the data values
about the polygon).

The export to shapefile operation example shows how to put an
operation on a "FeatureSource"; you can use the feature source api to
retrieve a feature collection; and from there you can go through each
feature and place it in your database.

The ShapefileExport actually does this work; it creates a new
shapefile and copies the features into it. For more examples of
working with feature collections see the geotools wiki:
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/08+FeatureCollection

Jody

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks  a lot jodi, Yes I looked at the operations Section and I have
> creataed a new operation named as "exp to database" and I have written a new
> class for that and I am able to call that class, But here in my program
> I have liitlebit confusion, I mean in which format we will get the
> data programitically in my class.I did not see any coordinates in the
> program. I am trying to create a new table once user clicks the "exp to
> database" tab  and planning to store the polygons or ? in to the table.
> is it the right way?
>
> Sorry for my confusion..
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> babu
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > I gone through the ShpExport plugin and I have changed accordingly,But
>> > my
>> > question here is how can I get the data from Map.
>>
>> The operation is available when you right click on a layer. Check the
>> plugin.xml file and look for a section on "operations".
>>
>> > I mean I can create a postGis table manually here,But how I can paste
>> > the
>> > data into table,Is there any predefined code in the shpexport class.
>> > First I
>> > will finsih stroing the data into database then i will try how to fetch
>> > it.
>> > you want me to write query to fetch the data?
>>
>> Correct; the code example should show how to perform a query. Indeed
>> their are a few examples to this effect.
>> Jody

Re: Free spaital database

Prasad Babu-2
Thanks a lot Jodi. you are making me very good.I am able to insert the data into database now. But the problem is I am very new to postgresql..  Now I am inserting each and every coordinate into polygon,Is this is the right way?  Is there any way to insert polygon directly into the database,I mean The synatax of my postgresql polygaon is
 (INSERT INTO "New"(
            poly)
    VALUES ('2,4,7,8,13,56');

Is there any other way to store polygon as it as we are getting as a geomentry in our program

POLYGON ((103.89888293296089 1.418753631284916, 103.91762259776536 1.407041340782123, 103.90778427374302 1.3850222346368715, 103.88904460893855 1.389238659217877, 103.89888293296089 1.418753631284916))

Why I am asking all this because ,Weather I may get any problem while retriveng the data from the database ?

plese suggest me ..

Thanks in advance..

Babu.

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]> wrote:
The format the data comes in is called "features"; part of a feature
is a geometry; the other part is attributes (like the data values
about the polygon).

The export to shapefile operation example shows how to put an
operation on a "FeatureSource"; you can use the feature source api to
retrieve a feature collection; and from there you can go through each
feature and place it in your database.

The ShapefileExport actually does this work; it creates a new
shapefile and copies the features into it. For more examples of
working with feature collections see the geotools wiki:
- http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOTDOC/08+FeatureCollection

Jody

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 2:43 PM, prasad babu <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks  a lot jodi, Yes I looked at the operations Section and I have
> creataed a new operation named as "exp to database" and I have written a new
> class for that and I am able to call that class, But here in my program
> I have liitlebit confusion, I mean in which format we will get the
> data programitically in my class.I did not see any coordinates in the
> program. I am trying to create a new table once user clicks the "exp to
> database" tab  and planning to store the polygons or ? in to the table.
> is it the right way?
>
> Sorry for my confusion..
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> babu
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > I gone through the ShpExport plugin and I have changed accordingly,But
>> > my
>> > question here is how can I get the data from Map.
>>
>> The operation is available when you right click on a layer. Check the
>> plugin.xml file and look for a section on "operations".
>>
>> > I mean I can create a postGis table manually here,But how I can paste
>> > the
>> > data into table,Is there any predefined code in the shpexport class.
>> > First I
>> > will finsih stroing the data into database then i will try how to fetch
>> > it.
>> > you want me to write query to fetch the data?
>>
>> Correct; the code example should show how to perform a query. Indeed
>> their are a few examples to this effect.
>> Jody

Re: Free spaital database

Jody Garnett-2
I was not aware of the INSERT INTO "New" syntax - indeed I am not sure
I understand it.

I usually use the well-known-text ("wkt") representation of a
geometry; and call a function to create the required data structure.

Have a look at the postgis workbook here for the details on how to
hack this stuff using SQL:
- http://www.foss4g2007.org/workshops/W-04/

It will take a couple of hours to do the workbook but you should try
going through it before proceeding.

Jody