Funding OSM with donations?

Petter Reinholdtsen

When checking out World Wind Central, I came across an interesting
funding method.  Check out
<URL:http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Donations>, which make it
very simple to send money to World Wind using PayPal.  Could this be
an alternative for OSM?  The front page could link to a similar page,
making it easy for users of OSM to send a few coins our way to keep
the system running.

Re: Funding OSM with donations?

Steve Coast
A variety of models are being looked at in order to cope with the
project growing, technically and financially. Please bear with me
on that, it could take a while but our current needs are fairly modest.

You are welcome, any time you like, to buy me a birthday (I'm 25 today!)
or xmas present of course.  Amazon will ship it and everything:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/registry/registry.html/203-7647994-4178350?%5Fencoding=UTF8&type=wishlist&id=20EJFHTI24MVA

:-)

> When checking out World Wind Central, I came across an interesting
> funding method.  Check out
> <URL:http://www.worldwindcentral.com/wiki/Donations>, which make it
> very simple to send money to World Wind using PayPal.  Could this be
> an alternative for OSM?  The front page could link to a similar page,
> making it easy for users of OSM to send a few coins our way to keep
> the system running.

have fun,

SteveC [hidden email] http://www.asklater.com/steve/

Re: Funding OSM with donations?

Petter Reinholdtsen
[Steve Coast]
> A variety of models are being looked at in order to cope with the
> project growing, technically and financially. Please bear with me on
> that, it could take a while but our current needs are fairly modest.

Sure, we should not rush it.  But we could discuss if we want to fund
the project using donations or not. :)

I rediscovered the gmane donation page today,
<URL:http://gmane.org/donate.php>, and used the HTML code there to
make a similar page for OSM, sending money directed to your paypal
account.  It is now done, and I hope it make it through to you. :)

We could very easily set up a similar page for OSM, and allow those
wanting to help OSM out financially to easily do so.

> You are welcome, any time you like, to buy me a birthday (I'm 25
> today!)  or xmas present of course.  Amazon will ship it and
> everything:

Sorry for replying too late.  Happy birthday and merry Christmas.  I
want to let the funds be spent directly on OSM, and am not convinced
that buying you presents are equivalent.  Not that it is a bad idea to
get you more books. :)

This is the HTML code needed to make a paypal button sending money
your way.  I hope it work, as I've already sent some money using it. :)

<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick"> <input type="hidden"
name="business" value="[hidden email]"> <input type="hidden"
name="item_name" value="OpenStreetmap Fund">
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="0"> <input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="GBP">
<input type="hidden" name="tax" value="0">
<input type="image" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x-click-but04.gif" border="0" name="submit" alt="Make payments with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!"> </form>

Re: Re: Funding OSM with donations?

Tom Carden
On 12/28/05, Petter Reinholdtsen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [Steve Coast]
> > A variety of models are being looked at in order to cope with the
> > project growing, technically and financially. Please bear with me on
> > that, it could take a while but our current needs are fairly modest.
>
> Sure, we should not rush it.  But we could discuss if we want to fund
> the project using donations or not. :)

My 2 cents (ahem).

Not that I want you to stop sending Steve money if you want to, but I
don't think "the project" should be funded by monetary donations to an
individual.  It puts all kinds of weird expectations on the people
receiving those funds (I would expect that to only be Steve at this
stage) and it's difficult to reimburse everyone fairly.

We're all aware that the project has to cover certain costs, but you
might not be aware that these are currently negligable.  The only
thing that is currently lacking is the server, which is one of the
things Steve and I hoped the proceeds from the poster would go to.
I'll leave Steve to decide how he wants to raise the remaining cash.

I personally have no problem with specific things being paid for
(development of X or Y, purchase of new hardware, hosting for n
months, m gigabytes of bandwidth, etc), but I expect that targetted
one-time funding drives would be more successful than a permanent 'tip
jar'.

Just one of many opinions, but it would be good to hear what others
think on this,

Tom.

Re: Funding OSM with donations?

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Tom Carden]
> Not that I want you to stop sending Steve money if you want to, but
> I don't think "the project" should be funded by monetary donations
> to an individual.  It puts all kinds of weird expectations on the
> people receiving those funds (I would expect that to only be Steve
> at this stage) and it's difficult to reimburse everyone fairly.

I do not really see the problem.  We could of course find an
organization to hold the money, but I do not believe it is a
requirement.  If funds are used to cover direct and reasonable
expenses, I believe the progress of project could be increased and
more people could find time to contribute.

> We're all aware that the project has to cover certain costs, but you
> might not be aware that these are currently negligable.

There is also lots of stuff not being done in the project because
there is no funds for it.  In Skolelinux, another project am I aware
of, we organize development gatherings every 1-2 months with travel,
lodging and food covered for those participating, and this helps to
keep the speed of development high.  OSM could do similar.

I believe it is a bad idea to limit funding to concrete and one-time
items, and that we should instead try to find a way to get a steady
income to find all the activity this project could do.  For example
mapping gatherings like the one planned for the island during eastern,
or perhaps an "map Oslo" weekend, or some "optimize the server"
development gathering.  The possibilities are endless, and having more
funds to do it would make it easier to organize.

And a simple way to chip in money to the project could give us a
regular income to spend on the project.  We never know if it is going
to work before we try.

Yes, we need to make sure the spending is transparent, to avoid
suspicion and envy, but posting information on the amount of money
going in and out of the project money pile is not that hard.  It could
be done as easily as the Skolelinux economy summary page.  Check out
<URL:http://www.linuxiskolen.no/okonomi/>. :)