Fw: [CrisisMappers] Fwd: [SpaceAid] Charter Activation Request for imminent artificial dam leakage in Pakistan

Fw: [CrisisMappers] Fwd: [SpaceAid] Charter Activation Request for imminent artificial dam leakage in Pakistan

Mikel Maron
HOT ... not a lot we can do without imagery, but wondering if anyone had been tracking this?

== Mikel Maron ==
+254(0)724899738 @mikel s:mikelmaron
http://mapkibera.org/
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Haiti

From: UN Space Aid <[hidden email]>
Date: Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:27 PM
To: [hidden email]
Cc: Peter PODPROCKY <[hidden email]>, UN Space Aid <[hidden email]>, Lorant CZARAN <[hidden email]>

Dear colleague,

This is to inform you that at the request of UNOCHA Pakistan, UNOOSA has requested the activation of the International Charter: Space and Major Disasters to monitor a situation with regard to imminent spilling of water from an artificial dam in the area of Hunza River in Pakistan.

On 4 January 2010, a massive landslide triggered a nearly 1.5 KM wide blockage (referred to as the ‘Dam’) across Hunza River and Karakoram Highway (KKH) at Ataabad, 15 KMs east of Karimabad ( Hunza-Nagar district). The blockage of the Hunza River has created a Lake that extends nearly 15 kilometers into Gojal Tehsil of upper Hunza. 110 families have been displaced and valuable agricultural land and fruit orchards are lost. 30,000 population in upper Hunza, as a consequence, is isolated from market access and essential social services. The Lake water is expected to overtop / outflow through the 30 meters deep spillway (under construction) within the next days. As per UNOCHA there is immediate danger to life and property. Satellite imagery is needed to monitor, plan evacuation and support possible response actions.

Please find below the coordinates of the Area of Interest for your information.

Upper right
Lat. : 36°28'54.73"N
Lon.: 74°55'14.06"E

Lower left
Lat. : 35°21'55.28"N
Lon.: 74° 4'56.19"E

Respective space-based information and contact details will be made available at: http://www.un-spider.org/

If you require immediate specific information, please send your requests to: [hidden email]

with best regards,
Michael Leitgab

-----
UN-SPIDER SpaceAid

Re: Fw: [CrisisMappers] Fwd: [SpaceAid] Charter Activation Request for imminent artificial dam leakage in Pakistan

Jean-Guilhem Cailton
Hi,

Based on old (1955-) 1:250 000 topographic maps from the US Army Corps of Engineers, available at the Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, I have added a few villages in the affected area and downstream. I assume these maps are public domain. I have entered mostly places whose names I saw mentioned in reports or news, taking this as a sign that the names are currently in use.

For example, the landslide dam location (marked here near Attabad :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=36.004&lon=74.671&zoom=10&layers=B000FTF&mlat=36.30869&mlon=74.82093 )

is in the following map :
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/india/nj-43-14.jpg

Perhaps, an effort using these maps more systematically for OSM might be relevant ? (A precise positioning on a WMS or tile server could be useful in this case - I have been using PicLayer JOSM plugin).

A few sources (that were already mentioned in a message here), for those interested in the situation there, and the countdown to overflow, which is expected in the next few days :

http://hunzalandslide.blogspot.com/
http://daveslandslideblog.blogspot.com/
(including an interesting report and presentation)

http://ndma.gov.pk/AttaHunzaLandslide.html

http://pamirtimes.net/

With best wishes,

Jean-Guilhem