Quantcast

Fw: about memory use

Fernando Perfumo

Hello,

 I'm using Kosmo desktop 2.0 and PostgreSQL.
The base image is a .ecw file of about 500 MB.

I noticed that panning the map exhaust the system memory, and I need to free
 it frecuently by hand.

 Does somebody know  the reason to keep the memory recovery an user option?

Wouldn't be better freeing the user of this task?

 I use Kosmo for a traffic ligths control gis, and found it a very good
 application, despite java gas-like behaviour.

 Thanks

 Fernando Perfumo Velazquez

Re: Fw: about memory use

Sergio Baños Calvo
Good morning Fernando.

The scenario you're talking about (PostgreSQL layers + base ecw image layer) is very usual with Kosmo Desktop and we haven't found issues about memory exhausting while panning before: we have systems that are using 500 Gb image directories as base image layer plus 10.000.000+ feature PostgreSQL layers and it doesn't have that behaviour.

Could you give me some more info about your current scenario in order to give you some hints?

- Kosmo Desktop version: 2.0, 2.0 rc1 or 2.0.1?

- PostgreSQL layers:

+ Number of features
+ Geometry types
+ Number of layers

- Base image layer

+ Is it an unique file or a mosaic of them?

- Are there more layers loaded (shapefiles, CAD files, etc.) apart from them?

The memory recovery button is just inherited from the base JUMP, but it shouldn't be necessary to use it at all: when Java VM hits the maximum available memory it should make automatically the same call to the garbage collector as the button does.

Tip: in your Kosmo.bat/Kosmo.sh launcher, you can set up more memory for your Kosmo Desktop installation in order to increase performance if you have enough memory in your system.

SET PATH=..\dlls;%PATH%
start.\jre\bin\javaw -Djava.library.path="..\dlls" -cp .;./saig.jar -Xmx800M com.vividsolutions.jump.workbench.JUMPWorkbench -plug-in-directory ./ext

Change -Xmx800M to -Xmx1024M or -Xmx1200M to see if the application behaves better.

Regards,

El 23/05/2012 9:46, Fernando Perfumo escribió:

Hello,

I'm using Kosmo desktop 2.0 and PostgreSQL.
The base image is a .ecw file of about 500 MB.

I noticed that panning the map exhaust the system memory, and I need to free
it frecuently by hand.

Does somebody know  the reason to keep the memory recovery an user option?

Wouldn't be better freeing the user of this task?

I use Kosmo for a traffic ligths control gis, and found it a very good
application, despite java gas-like behaviour.

Thanks

Fernando Perfumo Velazquez

Sergio Baños Calvo

Jefe de desarrollos
Sistemas Abiertos de Información Geográfica, S.L. (SAIG S.L.)
Tlfno. móvil: 685005960
Tlfno. fijo: (+34) 954788876

E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Fw: about memory use

Rahkonen Jukka

One reason can be that the ECW-binaries are reserving some memory when user is panning around. That is for making it faster to revisit the same area again. That memory is freed after 10 (or perhaps 20) minutes, I do not remember exactly right now. You can test it by panning around wildly and then by doing nothing and following the memory usage.

All softwares using ecw dll files behave in a similar way (OpenJUMP, gvSIG, even ER Viewer) at least with ECW JPEG SDK version 3.x.

Windows system manager reports in this case that memory is reserver by Java but actually it is reserved outside Java by the ecw binaries. If this is what happens to you is is usually not dangerous and there is nothing you can do.  One thing may help still: do not keep very many ECW files open at the same time.

-Jukka Rahkonen-