Fwd: [HOT] About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

Fwd: [HOT] About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

john whelan-2
It should probably be dealt with here.

Cheerio John

Re: Fwd: [HOT] About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

Jonathan Bennett-2
On 23/06/2015 16:43, john whelan wrote:
> It should probably be dealt with here.

...dealt with my letting everyone know this is a scam and can safely be
ignored.

In any case issues with trademarks need to be dealt with by OSMF since
it would own any OSM-related trademarks that needed registering.

J.

Re: [HOT] Fwd: About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

Blake Girardot
This is a scam and ignoring it is the best course of action in my
personal opinion.

That is how I have handled them in the past.

On 6/23/2015 5:43 PM, john whelan wrote:

> It should probably be dealt with here.
>
> Cheerio John

lsces
On 23/06/15 16:43, john whelan wrote:

> It should probably be dealt with here.
>
> Cheerio John

I've had a couple of these relating to my own company names and I simply
replied that the business was not authorised by me to use the names and
if they traded using them they would be in violation of my copyright. I
did not hear any more about the matter, and nothing was registered as
far as I can see. I think this just needs the same sort of letter from
someone, but in this case several international bodies can object to the
trademarking of what is an international open source project?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: Fwd: [HOT] About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

Tom Hughes-3
On 23/06/15 17:18, Lester Caine wrote:

> On 23/06/15 16:43, john whelan wrote:
>
>> We checked and found the keyword is your company's registered trademark.
>> But have not registered in China,Hong Kong,Taiwan. So we inform you to
>> confirm whether this registration will affect and conflict your company.
>> If this registration will not affect and conflict your company, then we
>> can finish registering for them as per our duty. If this registration
>> will affect and conflict your company. Please contact us by telephone or
>> email within 10 workdays, so we can better handle the issue.
>
> I've had a couple of these relating to my own company names and I simply
> replied that the business was not authorised by me to use the names and
> if they traded using them they would be in violation of my copyright. I
> did not hear any more about the matter, and nothing was registered as
> far as I can see. I think this just needs the same sort of letter from
> someone, but in this case several international bodies can object to the
> trademarking of what is an international open source project?

As everybody else has said, it is just a scam and should be ignored.

One thing I can pretty much guarantee is that they haven't received any
reqeusts from anybody.

The usual giveaway is that they use complete nonsense phrases like
talking about registering "internet keywords" which is not a concept
that actually exists!

At best they are looking to sell you an overpriced domain registration
and at worst, well who knows.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

On 23/06/15 17:56, Tom Hughes wrote:
> At best they are looking to sell you an overpriced domain registration
> and at worst, well who knows.

As I said ... never heard any more while I was expecting some suggestion
that I needed to cough up some money to 'protect' things :) Perhaps once
they know it's a waste of time they don't waste more ... the company is
supposedly a bunch of lawyers.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Re: [HOT] Fwd: About " openstreetmap " Name Conflict

Tom Taylor-2
Apologies for letting it through without checking the headers.

Tom Taylor
TomT5454

On 23/06/2015 11:55 AM, Tyler Radford wrote:

> Thanks for passing along John. Here is some further info:
>
> http://www.chinalawblog.com/2014/07/china-domain-name-emails-it-is-still-a-scam.html
>
> http://www.europeandomaincentre.com/pages/news-room/domain-management-news/hey!-got-an-email-from-china-domain-name-registration-center-asian-domain-registration-service-in-china-the-department-of-registration-service-in-china-etc.#.VYmBNPlViko
>

> *Tyler Radford*
> Interim Executive Director
> email: [hidden email]
> U.S. mobile: +1 617.285.2009
>
> *Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team *
> *Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development*
> web <http://hotosm.org/> | twitter <https://twitter.com/hotosm> | facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/hotosm> | donate <http://hotosm.org/donate>
>
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 11:43 AM, john whelan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It should probably be dealt with here.
>>
>> Cheerio John

brycenesbitt
The best course of action to scams like this is take no action.
Replying just gets you on a list of suckers.