Fwd: PAF Consultation

Mike Ryan-3
Hi All,

I found a consultation document on the www.postcomm.gov.uk website that
discussed the Royal Mail management of the PAF database:
http://www.postcomm.gov.uk/policy-and-consultations/consultations/postcode-address-file--management-of-information/RoyalMailsmanagementPAFJune1604CD.pdf

Interestingly, they seem to take issue with the Royal Mail's many updates to the
PAF, which obviously allows them increased control of the database.

Anyway, I've sent the following mail on to see whether concerns about access to
the data from the general public can be addressed. I'll obviously update this
if I hear anything back

Best Regards

Mike

----- Forwarded message from [hidden email] -----
    Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:17:56 +0100
    From: Mike Ryan <[hidden email]>
 Subject: PAF Consultation
      To: [hidden email]

Hi,

I note from the postcomm.gov.uk website that there was a consultation document
issued with regard to the Royal Mail?s management of the PAF which was due to
be published by summer 2005. Has this now happened and are the results
available?

I don't know if you're aware, but Google have recently released a mapping
feature that lets normal people develop maps online with points overlayered on
top. In the US this has resulted in a proliferation of websites from all walks
of society as people map out areas of interest to them and make their findings
of use to everyone over the Internet. In the UK, this hasn't happened to the
same extent, and a large part for this failure is the Royal Mail's tight
control of the PAF database -  it is simply too expensive for a normal person
to map a postcode onto a map, as they need to be able to convert a postcode
into a Latitude/Longitude  pair to plot the relevant co-ordinates. This has
also resulted in the development of grass roots efforts such as
www.openstreetmap.org and www.freethepostcode.org as people struggle to develop
their own solutions to this intractible problem.

If there is anything I can do with regard to this situation via yourselves then
please let me know. Similarly, if the consultation process is still underway,
perhaps this could be added to the list of concerns to be discussed?

Thanks and Regards

Mike Ryan

Re: Fwd: PAF Consultation

Mike Ryan-3
Quality! Talk about Open Govt!

The original message was received at Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:17:56 +0100
from localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1]

<[hidden email]>
    (reason: 550 Invalid recipient <[hidden email]> (#5.1.1))

... while talking to relay.star.co.uk.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550 Invalid recipient <[hidden email]> (#5.1.1)
550 5.1.1 <[hidden email]>... User unknown
<<< 503 RCPT first (#5.5.1)

Quoting Mike Ryan <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All,
>
> I found a consultation document on the www.postcomm.gov.uk website that
> discussed the Royal Mail management of the PAF database:
> http://www.postcomm.gov.uk/policy-and-consultations/consultations/postcode-address-file--management-of-information/RoyalMailsmanagementPAFJune1604CD.pdf
>
> Interestingly, they seem to take issue with the Royal Mail's many
> updates to the
> PAF, which obviously allows them increased control of the database.
>
> Anyway, I've sent the following mail on to see whether concerns about
> access to
> the data from the general public can be addressed. I'll obviously update this
> if I hear anything back
>
> Best Regards
>
> Mike
>
> ----- Forwarded message from [hidden email] -----
>    Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:17:56 +0100
>    From: Mike Ryan <[hidden email]>
> Subject: PAF Consultation
>      To: [hidden email]
>
> Hi,
>
> I note from the postcomm.gov.uk website that there was a consultation
> document
> issued with regard to the Royal Mail?s management of the PAF which was due to
> be published by summer 2005. Has this now happened and are the results
> available?
>
> I don't know if you're aware, but Google have recently released a mapping
> feature that lets normal people develop maps online with points
> overlayered on
> top. In the US this has resulted in a proliferation of websites from
> all walks
> of society as people map out areas of interest to them and make their
> findings
> of use to everyone over the Internet. In the UK, this hasn't happened to the
> same extent, and a large part for this failure is the Royal Mail's tight
> control of the PAF database -  it is simply too expensive for a normal person
> to map a postcode onto a map, as they need to be able to convert a postcode
> into a Latitude/Longitude  pair to plot the relevant co-ordinates. This has
> also resulted in the development of grass roots efforts such as
> www.openstreetmap.org and www.freethepostcode.org as people struggle
> to develop
> their own solutions to this intractible problem.
>
> If there is anything I can do with regard to this situation via
> yourselves then
> please let me know. Similarly, if the consultation process is still underway,
> perhaps this could be added to the list of concerns to be discussed?
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Mike Ryan

Regards

Mike Ryan

Redmar Consulting Ltd
W +44 (0)20 7702 1671
M +44 (0)7958 750139
mailto:[hidden email]
http://www.redmar.com

RE: Re: Fwd: PAF Consultation

ANDY ROBINSON-2
I guess you forgot the postcode Mike ;)

Andy Robinson

> [...]

> control of the PAF database -  it is simply too expensive for a normal
person
> to map a postcode onto a map, as they need to be able to convert a
postcode
> into a Latitude/Longitude  pair to plot the relevant co-ordinates. This
has
> also resulted in the development of grass roots efforts such as
> www.openstreetmap.org and www.freethepostcode.org as people struggle
> to develop
> their own solutions to this intractible problem.
>
> If there is anything I can do with regard to this situation via
> yourselves then
> please let me know. Similarly, if the consultation process is still
underway,
> perhaps this could be added to the list of concerns to be discussed?

Regards

Mike Ryan

Redmar Consulting Ltd
W +44 (0)20 7702 1671