Fwd: [Talk-scotland] Estate Agent Solicitors

Fwd: [Talk-scotland] Estate Agent Solicitors

Paul Oldham
I asked this question over on [hidden email] a couple
of days ago but have had no answer so perhaps I could ask here?

For those who don't know the issue in Scotland most (but not all) houses
are sold by solicitors rather than estate agents, although we have those
too.

Paul

Re: Fwd: [Talk-scotland] Estate Agent Solicitors

sk53.osm
Hi Paul,

The classic case of needing to use semicolons is Timpsons: shop=shoe_repair;key_cutting. In this case the data consumer may need to recognise the pattern (not necessarily parse the semi-colon). On a similar basis I'd suggest office=solictor;estate_agent should be fine: it's not that different from office=solictor_estate_agent after all.

Data consumers dealing with Scottish data would need to be able to handle this: it may be worth documenting on the wiki.

A couple of other points:
  • I think office=lawyer is more widely used than UK specific terms like solicitor.
  • You could also do shop=estate_agent;office=lawyer too. Certainly around Nottingham we use shop=estate_agent for walk-in high street agents, and office=estate_agent for mainly commercial agents who are usually not located in retail premises. Others regard anywhere that does not allow immediate purchase of a product as an office rather than a shop.

Some estate agents may also act as agents for financial services companies. I'm not sure anyone has tried to map such things, but they may be relevant in more rural places.

Jerry

On 20/02/17 11:50, SK53 wrote:

> A couple of other points:
>
>   * I think office=lawyer is more widely used than UK specific terms
>     like solicitor.

Funnily enough I was just reading the wiki page on that very thing. So I
should have

    office=lawyer
    lawyer=solicitor

As per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office%3Dlawyer

>   * You could also do shop=estate_agent;office=lawyer too. Certainly
>     around Nottingham we use shop=estate_agent for walk-in high street
>     agents, and office=estate_agent for mainly commercial agents who are
>     usually not located in retail premises. Others regard anywhere that
>     does not allow immediate purchase of a product as an office rather
>     than a shop.

That does seem like a tempting solution. Apart from anything else it
gives the renderers a better chance of doing something plausible. So I
end up with:

    office=lawyer
    lawyer=solicitor
    shop=estate_agent

--
Paul

Re: Fwd: [Talk-scotland] Estate Agent Solicitors

Philip Barnes
On Mon, 2017-02-20 at 11:58 +0000, Paul Oldham wrote:

> On 20/02/17 11:50, SK53 wrote:
>
> > A couple of other points:
> >
> >   * I think office=lawyer is more widely used than UK specific
> > terms
> >     like solicitor.
>
> Funnily enough I was just reading the wiki page on that very thing.
> So I
> should have
>
>     office=lawyer
>     lawyer=solicitor
>
> As per https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office%3Dlawyer
>
> >   * You could also do shop=estate_agent;office=lawyer too.
> > Certainly
> >     around Nottingham we use shop=estate_agent for walk-in high
> > street
> >     agents, and office=estate_agent for mainly commercial agents
> > who are
> >     usually not located in retail premises. Others regard anywhere
> > that
> >     does not allow immediate purchase of a product as an office
> > rather
> >     than a shop.
>
> That does seem like a tempting solution. Apart from anything else it
> gives the renderers a better chance of doing something plausible. So
> end up with:
>
>     office=lawyer
>     lawyer=solicitor
>     shop=estate_agent

Its certainly not an unusual situation in small towns in England and
Wales either.

Phil