GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

adam steer
Hi folks

Following from an earlier discussion [1] on osgeo-oceania about offsetting emissions which are incurred by getting to FOSS4G SotM Oceania, there’s been a long chat in the Maptime Australia slack channel about creating a low-carbon conference.

This has also been raised as an issue for the global FOSS4G [2].

The upshot of the conversation is that we’re looking at ways to mitigate our impact on the planet using something other than throwing money at offsetters [3].

With that in mind, I’ve sent enquiries to Bush Heritage Australia [4] and the NZ Native Forest Regeneration Trust [5] about donating an amount to work toward landscape-scale forest and biodiversity restoration - since buying acres of maybe-never-planted monoculture is really not a solution (see [3]).

The idea is that the conference uses some of its budget (amount TBA) to ‘offset’ the event. Since the event is in NZ, the main carbon source is air travel - so I’ll do some modelling work to estimate travel GHG emissions, based initially on 2018 attendees and refining as we go.

If you have any useful tools to hand for that task to hand, I’d appreciate hearing about them (or better! collaboration!). John Bryant already suggested this one: https://www.icao.int/environmental-protection/CarbonOffset/Pages/default.aspx

If you know any other ‘boots on ground’ organisations we should consider, also please let us know.

Regards

Adam



-- 

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Graeme Fitzpatrick

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 19:17, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks

Following from an earlier discussion [1] on osgeo-oceania about offsetting emissions which are incurred by getting to FOSS4G SotM Oceania, there’s been a long chat in the Maptime Australia slack channel about creating a low-carbon conference.

This has also been raised as an issue for the global FOSS4G [2].

The upshot of the conversation is that we’re looking at ways to mitigate our impact on the planet using something other than throwing money at offsetters [3].

With that in mind, I’ve sent enquiries to Bush Heritage Australia [4] and the NZ Native Forest Regeneration Trust [5] about donating an amount to work toward landscape-scale forest and biodiversity restoration - since buying acres of maybe-never-planted monoculture is really not a solution (see [3]).

The idea is that the conference uses some of its budget (amount TBA) to ‘offset’ the event. Since the event is in NZ, the main carbon source is air travel - so I’ll do some modelling work to estimate travel GHG emissions, based initially on 2018 attendees and refining as we go.

If you have any useful tools to hand for that task to hand, I’d appreciate hearing about them (or better! collaboration!). John Bryant already suggested this one: https://www.icao.int/environmental-protection/CarbonOffset/Pages/default.aspx

If you know any other ‘boots on ground’ organisations we should consider, also please let us know.

G'day Adam

By sheer coincidence, I just got this through from a caravan parts supplier!


Which linked to:


&


If the figures don't come through, it showed "average" cabin class, for a medium haul return flight eg Sydney - Perth or 6554k return (which would probably cover most of Oceania to NZ?) = 1.17t of CO2!

So, there's some figures & info for you to work with.

Thanks

Graeme

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

adam steer
In reply to this post by adam steer
Alex, 

Thanks for your in principle support - we’ll get all the numbers lined up and as per the OSGeo Oceania / FOSS4G SotM Oceania principles, await funding outcomes. For anyone listening in, the conference budget is fully committed and relies on surplus to do anything not already budgeted. I’m  extremely positive that it will be ‘budget positive’ and we can contribute to some great earth-critical initiatives.

Perhaps we can use this year’s work to add GHG mitigation as an up front budget item in 2020!

Graeme, thanks for the calculator - I think a good approach is to use a few and take the median. I’m waiting on numbers from the organisations I’ve contacted, and will slowly get the modelling done in preparation for a pitch to the conference LoC / OSGeo Oceania board.

Regards,

--

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

adam steer
Martin, I am riding on the shoulders of giants as always :)

Greg, Martin: 

...maybe it’s my not so inner socialist: I think responsibility here lies with the organisation (conference / OSGeo Oceania). We already ask a lot of community members, the financial burden is likely to be small, it’s less work to just commit (no extra tito fields, less accounting, good organisation vibes etc) - especially as an org seeking to represent nations who are at risk.

Regards,

--

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Australia mailing list
In reply to this post by adam steer
> The upshot of the conversation is that we?re looking at ways to mitigate
> our impact on the planet using something other than throwing money at
> offsetters

Hi

I made contact with Parks Victoria (Australia). They are not in the  
business of providing carbon offsets but they would consider accepting  
money in return for agreeing to revegetate an area of land, resulting  
in carbon sequestration. The revegetation species mix would be  
carefully chosen to restore biodiverse bushland.

Contact me if you want to follow this idea up.

Tony



_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Sebastian S.
In reply to this post by adam steer
Hi, while I won't be attending I wanted to say that this is a great initiative.
Thanks for initiating it.

On 17 June 2019 7:13:31 pm AEST, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi folks

Following from an earlier discussion [1] on osgeo-oceania about offsetting emissions which are incurred by getting to FOSS4G SotM Oceania, there’s been a long chat in the Maptime Australia slack channel about creating a low-carbon conference.

This has also been raised as an issue for the global FOSS4G [2].

The upshot of the conversation is that we’re looking at ways to mitigate our impact on the planet using something other than throwing money at offsetters [3].

With that in mind, I’ve sent enquiries to Bush Heritage Australia [4] and the NZ Native Forest Regeneration Trust [5] about donating an amount to work toward landscape-scale forest and biodiversity restoration - since buying acres of maybe-never-planted monoculture is really not a solution (see [3]).

The idea is that the conference uses some of its budget (amount TBA) to ‘offset’ the event. Since the event is in NZ, the main carbon source is air travel - so I’ll do some modelling work to estimate travel GHG emissions, based initially on 2018 attendees and refining as we go.

If you have any useful tools to hand for that task to hand, I’d appreciate hearing about them (or better! collaboration!). John Bryant already suggested this one: https://www.icao.int/environmental-protection/CarbonOffset/Pages/default.aspx

If you know any other ‘boots on ground’ organisations we should consider, also please let us know.

Regards

Adam



-- 

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

adam steer
In reply to this post by adam steer
hey folks

waking this conversation up again - there’s some interest from Parks Victoria around applying funding from a GHG offset scheme to restore yellow box woodland - which is direct, local and observable.


…using the ICAO flight emissions calculator. So far we’re up to about 48t CO2 based on my assumptions around who comes from where - and no additions from south pacific islands yet. If you have any input on those numbers please add comments.

Next step is to work more on how much money is appropriate for a programme to sequester 48t of CO2 based on existing offset programmes. Then, have a chat with Parks Victoria around how far that amount goes.

I’ll add those estimates in the same sheet.

Regards

Adam



_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Edoardo Neerhut
Fantastic work on this Adam. Parks Victoria would be a wonderful organisation to fund offset with. Much better than a Cayman Island registered organisation with plantations in the Amazon. Hopefully the costs of this approach are within the real of possibility for us.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 15:26, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey folks

waking this conversation up again - there’s some interest from Parks Victoria around applying funding from a GHG offset scheme to restore yellow box woodland - which is direct, local and observable.


…using the ICAO flight emissions calculator. So far we’re up to about 48t CO2 based on my assumptions around who comes from where - and no additions from south pacific islands yet. If you have any input on those numbers please add comments.

Next step is to work more on how much money is appropriate for a programme to sequester 48t of CO2 based on existing offset programmes. Then, have a chat with Parks Victoria around how far that amount goes.

I’ll add those estimates in the same sheet.

Regards

Adam


_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

John Bryant
Great work Adam! I agree this looks like a worthwhile program.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 09:45, Edoardo Neerhut <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fantastic work on this Adam. Parks Victoria would be a wonderful organisation to fund offset with. Much better than a Cayman Island registered organisation with plantations in the Amazon. Hopefully the costs of this approach are within the real of possibility for us.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 15:26, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey folks

waking this conversation up again - there’s some interest from Parks Victoria around applying funding from a GHG offset scheme to restore yellow box woodland - which is direct, local and observable.


…using the ICAO flight emissions calculator. So far we’re up to about 48t CO2 based on my assumptions around who comes from where - and no additions from south pacific islands yet. If you have any input on those numbers please add comments.

Next step is to work more on how much money is appropriate for a programme to sequester 48t of CO2 based on existing offset programmes. Then, have a chat with Parks Victoria around how far that amount goes.

I’ll add those estimates in the same sheet.

Regards

Adam


_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Dion Moult
I don't want to discourage from the local woodlands initiative, I think it's absolutely great to do.

I did want to being up the Cool Earth charity[1], which has been through lots of independent evaluation as to their effectiveness. Independent analysis suggests that their rate is at 0.71 USD per tCO2eq[2], but on their website it seems to be higher, approximately 2AUD per tCO2eq.

If you wanted to consider more than carbon... I have done some really ballpark explorations here:

https://thinkmoult.com/effective-altruism-living-net-positive-life.html

Great initiative!

1. https://www.coolearth.org/
2. https://www.givingwhatwecan.org/report/cool-earth/#3-overall-evaluation

Sent from ProtonMail mobile



-------- Original Message --------
On 8 Aug. 2019, 5:47 pm, John Bryant < [hidden email]> wrote:

Great work Adam! I agree this looks like a worthwhile program.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 09:45, Edoardo Neerhut <[hidden email]> wrote:
Fantastic work on this Adam. Parks Victoria would be a wonderful organisation to fund offset with. Much better than a Cayman Island registered organisation with plantations in the Amazon. Hopefully the costs of this approach are within the real of possibility for us.

On Thu, 8 Aug 2019 at 15:26, adam steer <[hidden email]> wrote:
hey folks

waking this conversation up again - there’s some interest from Parks Victoria around applying funding from a GHG offset scheme to restore yellow box woodland - which is direct, local and observable.


…using the ICAO flight emissions calculator. So far we’re up to about 48t CO2 based on my assumptions around who comes from where - and no additions from south pacific islands yet. If you have any input on those numbers please add comments.

Next step is to work more on how much money is appropriate for a programme to sequester 48t of CO2 based on existing offset programmes. Then, have a chat with Parks Victoria around how far that amount goes.

I’ll add those estimates in the same sheet.

Regards

Adam


_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania
_______________________________________________
FOSS4G-Oceania mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.osgeo.org/mailman/listinfo/foss4g-oceania

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Graeme Fitzpatrick
I've also seen reference to investing in mangroves.

Can't see the particular reference just now, but this also discusses the concept further

Possibly another option?

Thanks

Graeme

_______________________________________________
Talk-au mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-au