GPS hardware

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GPS hardware

john levin-2
Hi

Just joined this list, more out of enthusiasm than experience.

Two questions about hardware, as I'm looking around for a handheld GPS unit:

1: I'm sure somewhere on the openstreetmap wiki there was a page on
hardware recommendations, but I can't find it. Am I imagining it, or
missing it?

2: What do people think of the Garmin Geko 201, as specially offered by
Amazon? [long url warning]
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007MMNS/qid=1131157507/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-6418835-2274808)


And for info, if there are any Ubuntu users on this list, there's been
some discussion on ubuntu-dev about reviving the UbuntuGIS team:
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012799.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS
The big problem being "We lack a roadmap because we don't know what is
useful for a real GIS user."
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012803.html

John

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS hardware

Jo Walsh
On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:56:39PM +0000, john levin wrote:
> 2: What do people think of the Garmin Geko 201, as specially offered by
> Amazon? [long url warning]
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007MMNS/qid=1131157507/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-6418835-2274808)

i would say it's worth shelling out a bit more for an Etrex - more
memory and a less nasty UI, e.g. labelling waypoints on a unit without
a nubby joystick can be a slow pain.
 
> And for info, if there are any Ubuntu users on this list, there's been
> some discussion on ubuntu-dev about reviving the UbuntuGIS team:

this sounds interesting,  [hidden email] might find more
takers / relevant parties...


-jo

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS hardware

Graham Wall
In reply to this post by john levin-2
I've been using the geko 201 for a while now. You can usually find
them cheaper on eBay - I got one for £65.

I've found the 201 adequate for data collection, it's 10,000 point
memory being far better than other budget offerings. The only problem
I've found is the reception, which, from my very limited experience of
other hardware, can be a little weak.

If you couple it with a data cable (again eBay, £10) and possibly a
USB-serial converter, it is a great little unit for making tracks, as
it is so small you can take it everywhere. It's certaintly wise to get
some high capacity rechageables though - I get about 10 hours from a
pair of 900mAh AAAs.

Graham

http://www.prizeonion.co.uk/

On 05/11/05, john levin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just joined this list, more out of enthusiasm than experience.
>
> Two questions about hardware, as I'm looking around for a handheld GPS unit:
>
> 1: I'm sure somewhere on the openstreetmap wiki there was a page on
> hardware recommendations, but I can't find it. Am I imagining it, or
> missing it?
>
> 2: What do people think of the Garmin Geko 201, as specially offered by
> Amazon? [long url warning]
> (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007MMNS/qid=1131157507/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-6418835-2274808)
>
>
> And for info, if there are any Ubuntu users on this list, there's been
> some discussion on ubuntu-dev about reviving the UbuntuGIS team:
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012799.html
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGIS
> The big problem being "We lack a roadmap because we don't know what is
> useful for a real GIS user."
> http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012803.html
>
> John
>
> _______________________________________________
> Openstreetmap mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
>

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS hardware

frank mohr
In reply to this post by Jo Walsh
Jo Walsh wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 03:56:39PM +0000, john levin wrote:
>
>>2: What do people think of the Garmin Geko 201, as specially offered by
>>Amazon? [long url warning]
>>(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00007MMNS/qid=1131157507/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-6418835-2274808)
>
>
> i would say it's worth shelling out a bit more for an Etrex - more
> memory and a less nasty UI, e.g. labelling waypoints on a unit without
> a nubby joystick can be a slow pain.

I'm using a Geko 301 with almost the same data as the 201
(except the barometric altimeter that makes it 100 euro more expensive)

i don't think the memory is a problem, i just returned from a 200km trip
and that took just 33% of the trackpoint memory

the waypoint labeling (and the whole UI) isn't userfriendly
usually i'm just using the generated waypoint number and write down the
description on paper (the geko saves only a 6 char waypoint name)

frank

       

       
               
___________________________________________________________
Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 1GB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de


_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS hardware

Rev Simon Rumble
In reply to this post by john levin-2
This one time, at band camp, john levin wrote:

> 1: I'm sure somewhere on the openstreetmap wiki there was a page on
> hardware recommendations, but I can't find it. Am I imagining it, or
> missing it?

I just bought a Bluetooth GPS.  So you need a laptop and/or handheld
computer, but I already have both.  Currently playing with it using
WinCE on the Ipaq, and it's pretty nice.

Will be working to get it working under Linux on both the laptop and the
Ipaq this evening.  As often happens with Linux, it seems there have
been a number of different, incompatible ways of doing Bluetooth.  The
inevitable winnowing has occurred, but nobody has updated the docs to
say "this is no longer the preferred way".  Fscking nightmare!

--
Rev Simon Rumble <[hidden email]>
www.rumble.net

The Tourist Engineer
Just because you're on holiday, doesn't mean you're not a geek.
http://engineer.openguides.org/

Politics is the gentle art of getting votes from the poor
and campaign funds from the rich by promising to protect
each from the other.
- Politicians and Other Scoundrels by Ferdinand Lundberg

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS hardware

Petter Reinholdtsen
In reply to this post by john levin-2

[John Levin]
> And for info, if there are any Ubuntu users on this list, there's
> been some discussion on ubuntu-dev about reviving the UbuntuGIS
> team:

Perhaps an idea to coordinate this with the Debian GIS team, and form
a common team instead?

More info on Debian GIS available from
<URL:http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl>.

(As for GPS, I use a Garmin eTrex Legend C, to get USB and 10000 track
point support. :)


_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Re: GPS hardware

john levin-2
Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [John Levin]
>
>>And for info, if there are any Ubuntu users on this list, there's
>>been some discussion on ubuntu-dev about reviving the UbuntuGIS
>>team:
>
> Perhaps an idea to coordinate this with the Debian GIS team, and form
> a common team instead?
>
> More info on Debian GIS available from
> <URL:http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl>.
>
> (As for GPS, I use a Garmin eTrex Legend C, to get USB and 10000 track
> point support. :)
>

Latest news from the Ubuntu-GIS team is that working closely with Debian
is a good thing (TM)
http://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2005-November/012814.html

No intention of starting a distro war - although apt chases rpm down
alleys every day of the week :)

John

_______________________________________________
Openstreetmap mailing list
[hidden email]
http://bat.vr.ucl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/openstreetmap