GPS recommendation

Stephen Hope
I'm looking for a new GPS, optimised for OSM data collection.  As
such, long battery life would be a plus (that's the main problem with
my current one).  High accuracy is good, but I'm not looking for one
of the professional quality ones (Currently have SIRF3 chip).  Adding
waymarks is not a real plus, I never used it on my old device, so I
wouldn't miss it.  Large amounts of logging memory is good.  I don't
even really need a screen/map display - a pure data logger would be
OK.  As long as it tracks my movement once per second (minimum) and
allows me to download it to a computer easily, I'll be happy.  If it
used AA or AAA batteries, that would be a plus, but not essential as
long as the battery life is long enough.  Oh, and I'd prefer to source
it in Australia, for ease of shipping, maintenance etc, but I'm
willing to go overseas if need be.

I'd prefer to use one that somebody else has used so I know it will be
suitable for OSM.  Any suggestions?

Stephen

Re: GPS recommendation

Peter Ross-5
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Stephen Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm looking for a new GPS, optimised for OSM data collection.  As
> such, long battery life would be a plus (that's the main problem with
> my current one).  High accuracy is good, but I'm not looking for one
> of the professional quality ones (Currently have SIRF3 chip).  Adding
> waymarks is not a real plus, I never used it on my old device, so I
> wouldn't miss it.  Large amounts of logging memory is good.  I don't
> even really need a screen/map display - a pure data logger would be
> OK.  As long as it tracks my movement once per second (minimum) and
> allows me to download it to a computer easily, I'll be happy.  If it
> used AA or AAA batteries, that would be a plus, but not essential as
> long as the battery life is long enough.  Oh, and I'd prefer to source
> it in Australia, for ease of shipping, maintenance etc, but I'm
> willing to go overseas if need be.
>
> I'd prefer to use one that somebody else has used so I know it will be
> suitable for OSM.  Any suggestions?

I currently have a etrex legend, which lacks the high sensitivity
receiver but does have a screen. A plus is that you can upload the OSM
maps to it, which means you can see what is missing from an area when
you are tracing it.  I use it mainly from my mountain bike to trace
mtb paths and for that I generally get a good enough trace, even under
trees.  I think that is because having it mounted on the handle bars
gives better reception than when I'm just walking around and its on
one of my backpack straps.

So for me, my ideal would be to upgrade to a Etrex Legend HCX, which
has high sensitivity and plus it can also route using the uploaded OSM
maps.  Which are both advantages over the etrex legend.

Interested to hear others opinions on what they use, and what they
like about it and what they don't.

Pete

Re: GPS recommendation

Peter Ross-5
On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Stephen Hope <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2008/9/11 Peter Ross <[hidden email]>:
>> I currently have a etrex legend, which lacks the high sensitivity
>> receiver but does have a screen. A plus is that you can upload the OSM
>> maps to it, which means you can see what is missing from an area when
>> you are tracing it.  I use it mainly from my mountain bike to trace
>> mtb paths and for that I generally get a good enough trace, even under
>> trees.  I think that is because having it mounted on the handle bars
>> gives better reception than when I'm just walking around and its on
>> one of my backpack straps.
>>
>> So for me, my ideal would be to upgrade to a Etrex Legend HCX, which
>> has high sensitivity and plus it can also route using the uploaded OSM
>> maps.  Which are both advantages over the etrex legend.
>>
>> Interested to hear others opinions on what they use, and what they
>> like about it and what they don't.
>
> How well does it mount on your bike?  Do you ever feel like it will come off?

I use it moutain biking on some really rough trails and including some
cracking stacks and it has never come off.  That includes hitting the
actual gps unit so hard that I can see that it actually bent the rails
which hold the unit in place on the mount, so now I can slide it a
couple of mills, where previously it didn't move at all.

It has fallen off once on the road, and it was right at the start of
the trip so I don't think I fully pushed the unit in until it locks,
otherwise it certainly would've bounced out of place on a mtb ride.

I use the garmin bike mount, which I bought from expansys I believe
for around 20 bucks.

Re: GPS recommendation

Ian Sergeant
> Interested to hear others opinions on what they use, and what they
> like about it and what they don't.

I use my Garman 60CSx, it goes on my belt, on my bike, or my windscreen, it
stores trackes forever at 1 sec intervals, and loads OSM maps, etc..

BUT, it I were buying another GPS for OSM use, I would really want an NMEA
data logger, one that kept the NMEA accuracy calculation.  I know the
Garman's don't do this, only saving a GPX log.  I would be such a nice
feature to only include the GPS points that are 5m accuracy or better.

Ian.

Re: GPS recommendation

mtrax
I have a Vista HCx but the HC is probably what you want and battery life is meant to be
about 20+ hours which seems about right, also has a memory slot so you can add upto 1-2Gb
of external memory (good for data logging)..

you might like to look at a Blue tooth GPS if you have a PDA too.

Paul

On 11/09/2008 11:17 AM, Stephen Hope wrote:

> I'm looking for a new GPS, optimised for OSM data collection.  As
> such, long battery life would be a plus (that's the main problem with
> my current one).  High accuracy is good, but I'm not looking for one
> of the professional quality ones (Currently have SIRF3 chip).  Adding
> waymarks is not a real plus, I never used it on my old device, so I
> wouldn't miss it.  Large amounts of logging memory is good.  I don't
> even really need a screen/map display - a pure data logger would be
> OK.  As long as it tracks my movement once per second (minimum) and
> allows me to download it to a computer easily, I'll be happy.  If it
> used AA or AAA batteries, that would be a plus, but not essential as
> long as the battery life is long enough.  Oh, and I'd prefer to source
> it in Australia, for ease of shipping, maintenance etc, but I'm
> willing to go overseas if need be.
>
> I'd prefer to use one that somebody else has used so I know it will be
> suitable for OSM.  Any suggestions?
>
> Stephen

Re: GPS recommendation

Thomas Sprinkmeier-2

> I'd prefer to use one that somebody else has used so I know it will be
> suitable for OSM.  Any suggestions?

I bought a DG-100 at the Map Shop in Adelaide:
http://www.mapshop.net.au/gpslptps.htm

Takes 2 AA's, recharges via USB, talks to gpsbabel, 18-hours memory at
one point per second, external antenna connection.

I'm very happy with it, though it's the first GPS I've ever owned to I
have no idea how it compares to others out there.

Thomas
--
When they came for the photographers I did
     nothing because I don't have a camera

Liz

Re: GPS recommendation

Liz
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Stephen Hope wrote:
> I'm looking for a new GPS, optimised for OSM data collection.

Our house has garmin etrex vista cx and etrex vista hcx.
there is a real improvement with the hcx especially on a street where
canyoning occurs

i've also got a neo freerunner but it is beta hardware and the battery doesn't
last long. It can save the nmea data which the garmins don't.

Re: GPS recommendation

Ross Scanlon
One of these:

http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-gps-watch-bluetooth/

I have no affiliation with this company, just satisfied customer with this
product.

Log settings can be changed between 1 and 30 seconds.  This gives 36 to
1604 hours of log.

Built in battery is rechargable via usb.  Comes with vehicle and 240V
chargers, wrist strap, handlebar holder, lanyard.

Mine sits in the centre console of the vehicle (dosn't need to be in sight
from outside the vehicle) plugged into the power outlet and gives
excellent results.

I just need to remember to turn it on at the start of the day and off at
the end of the day.

I also have the truckPC and carPC running gpsdrive using osm via mapnik
and google maps.

--
Regards
Ross

Re: GPS recommendation

Ross Scanlon

> I'm looking for a new GPS, optimised for OSM data collection.  As
> such, long battery life would be a plus (that's the main problem with
> my current one).  High accuracy is good, but I'm not looking for one
> of the professional quality ones (Currently have SIRF3 chip).  Adding
> waymarks is not a real plus, I never used it on my old device, so I
> wouldn't miss it.  Large amounts of logging memory is good.  I don't
> even really need a screen/map display - a pure data logger would be
> OK.  As long as it tracks my movement once per second (minimum) and
> allows me to download it to a computer easily, I'll be happy.  If it
> used AA or AAA batteries, that would be a plus, but not essential as
> long as the battery life is long enough.  Oh, and I'd prefer to source
> it in Australia, for ease of shipping, maintenance etc, but I'm
> willing to go overseas if need be.
>
> I'd prefer to use one that somebody else has used so I know it will be
> suitable for OSM.  Any suggestions?
>
> Stephen

Regards
Ross
info at 4x4falcon dot com

Re: GPS recommendation

Stephen Hope
I hadn't heard of that one before.  Do you have any idea how long it
operates as a GPS on battery?  The GPS I have now is a multifunction
device - it goes for hours without the GPS on, but turn the GPS on and
it dies quickly.  It is going to be used in the car with power, the
one I'm looking to buy is for use on a bike and foot  - there's a lot
of paths connecting up this area I want to go and map.  It says "up to
380 hours" on the website, but I'm thinking that's with all the extras
turned off.  Most of my foot/bike mapping trips are only a couple of
hours long, but it would be good if it can do a day or so for the odd
longer hiking trip.

Stephen

2008/9/12 Ross <[hidden email]>:

> One of these:
>
> http://www.kogan.com.au/shop/kogan-gps-watch-bluetooth/
>
> I have no affiliation with this company, just satisfied customer with this
> product.
>
> Log settings can be changed between 1 and 30 seconds.  This gives 36 to
> 1604 hours of log.
>
> Built in battery is rechargable via usb.  Comes with vehicle and 240V
> chargers, wrist strap, handlebar holder, lanyard.
>
> Mine sits in the centre console of the vehicle (dosn't need to be in sight
> from outside the vehicle) plugged into the power outlet and gives
> excellent results.
>
> I just need to remember to turn it on at the start of the day and off at
> the end of the day.
>

> I also have the truckPC and carPC running gpsdrive using osm via mapnik
> and google maps.
>
> --
> Regards
> Ross
> info at 4x4falcon dot com

Re: GPS recommendation

Ross Scanlon
I've used it for about 3 hours not connected to external power, still
showed above 1/3 on the "battery gauge".

This was GPS logging no bluetooth.

Regards
Ross