GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Alan Mintz
I have a Windows laptop and Garmin 60CSx GPS receiver. Is there a way to
display my tracks from the GPSR on the laptop in realtime while surveying
(since the screen in much larger)? I do not currently have continuous
wireless internet coverage on the laptop. Ability to download OSM and/or
satellite imagery when connected, to display while not connected is a plus.

--
Alan Mintz <[hidden email]>


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Charlotte Wolter
Alan,

        It depends on what kind of a display you are talking about.
        I have used Microsoft Streets and Trips, a plain-vanilla GPS program for the United States. It is geared to someone who needs to find street addresses. Its chief advantage is that it costs only $35, and it does show current streets in great detail. It even works at airplane speeds.
        I also have used Maptech's Toposout topographic maps, which have a lot of detail. They have been superceded in recent years by the more-advanced "Pro" line with a number of GIS features.
        Doesn't Garmin have its own map line? Don't they work in real time with the receiver?
        Until we have ubiquitous 4G (WiMAX), displaying real-time tracks on OSM is not possible. But, Sprint promises almost ubiquitous coverage of US cities with 4G by the end of 2010. and a dongle for your PC should cost about $50.


Charlotte Wolter


At 05:12 PM 12/17/2009, you wrote:
I have a Windows laptop and Garmin 60CSx GPS receiver. Is there a way to
display my tracks from the GPSR on the laptop in realtime while surveying
(since the screen in much larger)? I do not currently have continuous
wireless internet coverage on the laptop. Ability to download OSM and/or
satellite imagery when connected, to display while not connected is a plus.

--
Alan Mintz <[hidden email]>


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

Charlotte Wolter
927 18th Street Suite A
Santa Monica, California
90403
+1-310-597-4040
[hidden email]

The Four Internet Freedoms
Freedom to visit any site on the Internet
Freedom to access any content or service that is not illegal
Freedom to attach any device that does not interfere with the network
Freedom to know all the terms of a service, particularly any that would affect the first three freedoms.

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Jeff Barlow
Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>         Doesn't Garmin have its own map line? Don't they work in
>real time with the receiver?

The older versions did. They disabled that functionality in the
newer ones. They want to sell you higher priced proprietary
hardware instead. It's a good reason to avoid Garmin as far as
I'm concerned.

--
Later,
Jeff

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Paul Johnson-3
In reply to this post by Alan Mintz
Alan Mintz wrote:

> I have a Windows laptop and Garmin 60CSx GPS receiver. Is there a way to
> display my tracks from the GPSR on the laptop in realtime while surveying
> (since the screen in much larger)?

The livegps and surveyor plugins in JOSM work with gpsd.  Note that
gpsd's position on Windows is that it's needlessly difficult to support
that platform, and that you should "get a real operating system" if you
want to work with geospatial data.



_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Chris Hunter
In reply to this post by Jeff Barlow
I'm not sure what Charlotte is talking about with here, but I've had a 60Csx for about a year now and it's pretty easy to connect to a laptop.

Andy: What is your end goal of having the GPS track on your laptop w/o realtime internet access?  If you're wanting to correct OSM data on the fly, use JOSM with GPSBabel and Surveyor plugins (you'll need to install GPSBabel BTW).  If you want to display your location against any map (OSM or Garmin's), download and install the Garmin nRoute software from the web.  If it's no longer on Garmin's site (which would shock me), I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the installer on my machine.

Chris Hunter
(OSM userID DiverCTH)

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Jeff Barlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>         Doesn't Garmin have its own map line? Don't they work in
>real time with the receiver?

The older versions did. They disabled that functionality in the
newer ones. They want to sell you higher priced proprietary
hardware instead. It's a good reason to avoid Garmin as far as
I'm concerned.

--
Later,
Jeff

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Chris Hunter
BTW, Garmin's MapSource software with the US Interstate basemap is still a free download, but it's geared more towards trip planning/review and POI management, so it doesn't do realtime.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Chris Hunter <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not sure what Charlotte is talking about with here, but I've had a 60Csx for about a year now and it's pretty easy to connect to a laptop.

Andy: What is your end goal of having the GPS track on your laptop w/o realtime internet access?  If you're wanting to correct OSM data on the fly, use JOSM with GPSBabel and Surveyor plugins (you'll need to install GPSBabel BTW).  If you want to display your location against any map (OSM or Garmin's), download and install the Garmin nRoute software from the web.  If it's no longer on Garmin's site (which would shock me), I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the installer on my machine.

Chris Hunter
(OSM userID DiverCTH)


On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:31 PM, Jeff Barlow <[hidden email]> wrote:
Charlotte Wolter <[hidden email]>  wrote:

>         Doesn't Garmin have its own map line? Don't they work in
>real time with the receiver?

The older versions did. They disabled that functionality in the
newer ones. They want to sell you higher priced proprietary
hardware instead. It's a good reason to avoid Garmin as far as
I'm concerned.

--
Later,
Jeff

_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies



_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: GPS tracks in realtime on laptop?

Chris Hunter
In reply to this post by Paul Johnson-3
OK, I stand corrected with regards to Surveyor.  Shows what I get for being born a fat fingered neanderthal who can't stand laptops because he needs a desktop machine with a real keyboard *CHUCKLES*.

I've used OSMTracker on Windows Mobile and it's supposed to run on any Windows box with .NET 2.0 installed.  I tried an older version of Garmin nRoute a few minutes ago and it should do what you want.  You can either roll your own Garmin maps with mkgmap or download a pre-compiled map of the area you want to groundtruth and you should be all set.



On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Alan Mintz wrote:

> I have a Windows laptop and Garmin 60CSx GPS receiver. Is there a way to
> display my tracks from the GPSR on the laptop in realtime while surveying
> (since the screen in much larger)?

The livegps and surveyor plugins in JOSM work with gpsd.  Note that
gpsd's position on Windows is that it's needlessly difficult to support
that platform, and that you should "get a real operating system" if you
want to work with geospatial data.



_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies


_______________________________________________
newbies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/newbies