GSoC Doubts

Vishal R
Hi,
    First, thank you OSM for selecting my proposal for Google Summer of Code. I have some doubts and I was hoping the community could help me with them.
    I am bit active in OSM's IRC channels and mailing list. Are there any other communities I should be active in?
    Will I by using services like GitHub for my project, or does OSM have a repo service for projects like these?

Thank you
Vishal R

Re: GSoC Doubts

Michael Zangl-3
Hi Vishal,

First of all: congratulations for getting selected for this years GSoC.
I am looking forward to mentoring your project (using deep learning for
satellite image recognition)

This mailing list and the OSM IRC channel are mostly for general
development. You can have a look at JOSM, since your UI will be
integrating there. Most communication for JOSM is done in the issue
tracker [1]. You can have a look in there, but most of it is unrelated
to your GSoC.

We will discuss the details of your GSoC in private mails, especially
the ones concerning the detailed scope of your work and all the
technical issues that arise during your GSoC.

During your GSoC, your main communication with the community will be the
progress report that you do in regular intervals. You may get some
feedback on those reports from community members.

Michael

[1] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/report

On 08.05.19 10:12, Vishal R wrote:

> Hi,
>      First, thank you OSM for selecting my proposal for Google Summer of
> Code. I have some doubts and I was hoping the community could help me
> with them.
>      I am bit active in OSM's IRC channels and mailing list. Are there
> any other communities I should be active in?
>      Will I by using services like GitHub for my project, or does OSM
> have a repo service for projects like these?
>
> Thank you
> Vishal R

Re: GSoC Doubts

Jiri Vlasak
Hi Vishal,

> On Wed, May 08, 2019 at 11:49:43AM +0200, Michael Zangl wrote:
>> On 08.05.19 10:12, Vishal R wrote:
>> Hi,
>>      First, thank you OSM for selecting my proposal for Google Summer of
>> Code. I have some doubts and I was hoping the community could help me
>> with them.

congratz, I am looking forward your contributions!

>>      I am bit active in OSM's IRC channels and mailing list. Are there
>> any other communities I should be active in?
>
> This mailing list and the OSM IRC channel are mostly for general
> development. You can have a look at JOSM, since your UI will be integrating
> there. Most communication for JOSM is done in the issue tracker [1]. You can
> have a look in there, but most of it is unrelated to your GSoC.

If you need something regarding JOSM, mailing list is pretty responsive.

> During your GSoC, your main communication with the community will be the
> progress report that you do in regular intervals. You may get some feedback
> on those reports from community members.

miss them.

Thanks,
jiri