Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

John Lewis
There is a gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area. I can't even find
my hackerspace Hack Pittsburgh. How do I fill this gaping hole so I can
use Open Street Map for the map for my navigation software?

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Dave F.
On 13/07/2013 22:33, John Lewis wrote:
> There is a gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area. I can't even find
> my hackerspace Hack Pittsburgh. How do I fill this gaping hole so I
> can use Open Street Map for the map for my navigation software?

Where precisely & what data is missing?

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Jo-2
2013/7/13 John Lewis <[hidden email]>
There is a gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area. I can't even find my hackerspace Hack Pittsburgh. How do I fill this gaping hole so I can use Open Street Map for the map for my navigation software?

You grab your bicycle, a gps logger and a camera. That's how the rest of us started out. Nowadays you can also simply draw the streets from Bing though, print it out and fill in the names from fieldpapers. It's still nice to be able to work from photographs though.

What also helps is to try and organise mapping parties, and try to convince people who like to walk to help out.

Jo

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

John Lewis
The geography seems to be correct but, there is huge lack of addresses.
I can't search and find anything in my suburban neighborhood and expect
for it to show up in the map. Even worse there are many important urban
places that are undocumented. I can't find the address for
HackPittsburgh (1936 5th Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15219) and have it show up and it existed for 4 years
now. I can't find TechShop Pittsburgh (192 Bakery Square Boulevard
Pittsburgh, PA 15206) either.

It would be nice if we can put the speed limits of the roads in some
format so it can be used with the map, but I don't know enough about the
map or development to make it happen.

On 07/13/2013 05:43 PM, Dave F. wrote:

> On 13/07/2013 22:33, John Lewis wrote:
>> There is a gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area. I can't even find
>> my hackerspace Hack Pittsburgh. How do I fill this gaping hole so I
>> can use Open Street Map for the map for my navigation software?
>
> Where precisely & what data is missing?

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Shawn K. Quinn
On Sat, 2013-07-13 at 18:13 -0400, John Lewis wrote:
> The geography seems to be correct but, there is huge lack of
> addresses.
> I can't search and find anything in my suburban neighborhood and
> expect for it to show up in the map. Even worse there are many
> important urban places that are undocumented. I can't find the address
> for  HackPittsburgh (1936 5th Ave. Pittsburgh, PA 15219) and have it
> show up and it existed for 4 years now. I can't find TechShop
> Pittsburgh (192 Bakery Square Boulevard Pittsburgh, PA 15206) either.

Points of interest such as these usually have to be added one-by-one.
Sometimes GIS data will have points for churches, schools, courthouses,
etc but even then they will often be off by anywhere from a hundred feet
to a significant chunk of a mile.

I try to map at least the ones I care about or that I know are popular.
I also try to update restaurant locations that have closed or re-opened
under new ownership.

> It would be nice if we can put the speed limits of the roads in some
> format so it can be used with the map, but I don't know enough about
> the map or development to make it happen.

We do have a tagging scheme for speed limits, though a lot of roads are
not tagged yet.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <[hidden email]>

On 13/07/2013 23:13, John Lewis wrote:
> It would be nice if we can put the speed limits of the roads in some
> format so it can be used with the map, but I don't know enough about
> the map or development to make it happen.

OpenStreetMap is best described as a do-ocracy. The reason there aren't
speed limits or addresses is the users haven't added them. This is where
you come in. You want these things, then you have to add them. Collect
the data by walking/driving around, taking photos, notes etc. & add them
to the database.

 From the OSM Wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limit

Dave F.

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Serge Wroclawski-2
On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM, John Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> There is a gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area. I can't even find my
> hackerspace Hack Pittsburgh. How do I fill this gaping hole so I can use
> Open Street Map for the map for my navigation software?

When you wrote "gaping hole", we weren't sure what you meant. You
might have meant that someone  removed a large chunk from the city
(either by accident or as an act of vandalism), but through your
subequent emails, it seems what you mean is "This map is incomplete",
which is really a call to action.

It's a call for you to go map!

It means you should read guides like this one:

http://learnosm.org

And use the knowledge you learn to make the map better.

There's a lot to do, sure, but the opportunities for you are out
there, and you have a large worldwide community willing to help you!

So welcome to the project! Go forth and map!

And ask questions if you have them, we're here to help.

- Serge

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

John Lewis
Have a BU-353 GPS dongle and an AO755 netbook
  a mid tier desktop and a car to work with. How do I add all the house
numbers and business names in my neighborhood to Open Street Map?

What GPS navigation software do you recommend using with OpenSteetMap to
test with to see if navigation is working correctly from one point to
another?

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 8:11 AM, John Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have a BU-353 GPS dongle and an AO755 netbook
>  a mid tier desktop and a car to work with. How do I add all the house
> numbers and business names in my neighborhood to Open Street Map?

There are three ways to add addresses to OSM (and one other method
I'll mention later in this email).

The first, and easiest is to add POIs (Points of Interest) and make
sure they include address fields. If you're using iD or Potlach as
your OSM editor, there will be presets for address data.

If you're using Josm, you will have to fill in the fields.

The fields you are going to care about are documented here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Address

The second way to add addresses is to manually add addresses to each
and every house on a block. This is fine if you have a ton of time and
energy, but very few of even the most dedicated mappers do this.

To do this, you'd either make a node for each object, and then add the
address tags on it, or you'd add them to the building. But with a
city, this will take a very long time.

The third way is to use what's called Address Interpolation, which is
documented on that page I sent you.

If you add interpolation alongside adding POIs yourself, then the
results will be pretty good (not perfect, but pretty good).

If you own a smartphone, such as an android phone, you can use a tool
like Keypad-Mapper, which is a tool optimized to add address points.

For navigation, I suggest OsmAnd, another Android tool.

Now, I mentioned a fourth way. If you are lucky enough to live in a
very small number of US cities which have had their addresses imported
from a government dataset, you may be in luck, but the number of
cities where this has happened is very, very small. And that's due to
a number of factors, including and especially the issues around data
licensing.

There are folks (myself being one of them) who are working to change
this, but it would be better not to wait, and to start collecting POIs
now, not just for the purposes of addressing, but for completeness of
the map in general.

My suggestion to you is to just map the things you care about, make
sure that your favorite places are on the map, and make sure that when
they are on the map, that they're mapped as completely as possible,
including with address tags.

- Serge

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Pieren
On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM, John Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Have a BU-353 GPS dongle and an AO755 netbook
>  a mid tier desktop and a car to work with. How do I add all the house
> numbers and business names in my neighborhood to Open Street Map?

Surveying with a GPS is one of the methods. Most of the OSM editors
provide an aerial imagery from Bing. What is more important is your
local knowledge.

> What GPS navigation software do you recommend using with OpenSteetMap to
> test with to see if navigation is working correctly from one point to
> another?

You can check this wiki page:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Routing

From what I've seen, OSRM is the fastest for online routine. OsmAnd is
also regularly mentionned for navigation:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osmand

Always check the OSM source dates. When you change something in the
OSM database, it needs time until it is propagated to your
application.

Pieren

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

John Lewis
Two more things.

  I currently don't have an android device and I don't know how far
along icedrobot is. Is there a GNU/Linux native application I can use
for GPS navigation with the AO755, gpsd, and BU-353? Otherwise I am
going to have to configure qemu-kvm, tuntap android-x86, and OsmAnd, or
I am going to buy an android tablet with GPS built in.

Do you recommend using josm-tested.jar, josm-latest.jar, the josm in
Debian Wheezy, or josm in Debian Sid?

Thank You.

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

Clifford Snow

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM, John Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you recommend using josm-tested.jar, josm-latest.jar, the josm in Debian Wheezy, or josm in Debian Sid?

I use josm-latest.jar with ubuntu and fedora. I get the daily development snapshot update on ubuntu. Fedora only when I need to take a laptop along.

BTW - you can get by without a gps unit using Bing images. It certainly is nice, but not absolutely necessary. One technique we found that works extremely well, is to work in pairs. One person with an app and another to read off information for entry into the app.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

James Card
On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 12:34:59 -0700, John Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is there a GNU/Linux native application I can use for GPS navigation
> with the AO755, gpsd, and BU-353?

I'm using FoxtrotGPS with a similar setup: ASUS U36-JC laptop, Lubuntu
13.04, gpsd, and a BU-353 USB GPS receiver. There is no search and no
routing (and consequently, no turn-by-turn instructions). It does work
well to show my current position overlaid on OSM tiles, and for recording
tracks and waypoints for later editing in JOSM.

--
James Card  --  <http://jdcard.com/>
Often there are several ways to understand a given set of

Re: Gaping hole in the Pittsburgh Metro Area

John Lewis
Is there any government documentation that I can get from cities or
municipalities I can use to help complete the map?