Garmin IMG, shapefile creation etc

Nick Whitelegg

I've heard back from Oliver, the developer of the QLandkarte application. His
aims are more to develop an .img displaying program, rather than an .img
creator/editor, but he's given some useful information.

One thing I think would be really useful, therefore, is to develop something
like QLandkarte but which is optimised for .img creation - basically, a
Free .img file creator. It could use OSM data, SRTM data, other free sources
of data, or even allow users to just draw their own maps much as existing
closed-source .img editors do. This could perhaps be called "OpenGPSMap"

It seems that there are several development tasks that need to be done,
relating to both .img and shapefile creation - in perhaps this order. I'm
favouring C/C++ as many of the tasks involve library creation and C/C++
libraries are probably the most reusable and dependency free:

1. Develop a C/C++ OSM SAX parser using libxml. Probably not too difficult as
many OSM parsers exist already. This could be used as the basis for just
about everything below.
2. Develop OSM to shapefile conversion code.
3. Develop a .img writing library, using existing .img reading and writing
code as a guideline.
4. Develop a web-based .osm to .img converter
5. Develop code to upload .img to a Garmin device - already done in QLandkarte
6. Develop the "OpenGPSMap" application itself.

I'll try and make a start on some of this over Christmas if people think it's
a good plan.

Nick

Re: Garmin IMG, shapefile creation etc

Andreas Brauchli-2
> 1. Develop a C/C++ OSM SAX parser using libxml. Probably not too difficult as
> many OSM parsers exist already. This could be used as the basis for just
> about everything below.
> 2. Develop OSM to shapefile conversion code.
> 3. Develop a .img writing library, using existing .img reading and writing
> code as a guideline.
> 4. Develop a web-based .osm to .img converter
> 5. Develop code to upload .img to a Garmin device - already done in QLandkarte
> 6. Develop the "OpenGPSMap" application itself.
>
> I'll try and make a start on some of this over Christmas if people think it's
> a good plan.

i think there's demand in such a feature for OSM, i've been writing a
PHP5 osm2mp converter which converts to the polish map format, and
jochen topf started something similar in xslt. this is then compiled to
img by cGPSmapper. once we have the shp2img converter we might also
create a mp2img converter...

i've never really coded C, but read some books and code so i could use
some practice, i've been coding php/perl for some time now - problem is
just as always time..

c is probably the best choice because of speed and portability, except
for the web-based converter.
isn't there a library we could use for step 1? seems like a central part
of processing OSM-data (except if you connect directly to the db, which
we could do for speed/memory-reasons on the web-based img-creator)

andreas