General OSM Talk

Kate Chapman-2
Hi All,

I'm giving a general talk on OSM at LibrePlanet
<https://libreplanet.org> in a couple weeks.

It has been about a year since I've given one of these talks. Is there
anything new that you think is especially important or interesting I
should be sure to not miss?

(Also anything old that I should miss is also welcome)

Thanks!

-Kate

Re: General OSM Talk

Andy Mabbett
On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 at 14:10, Kate Chapman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm giving a general talk on OSM

> Is there anything new that you think is especially important or
> interesting I should be sure to not miss?

Cross-linking with Wikidata, through:

   https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:wikidata

of which there are over 1.2 million examples.

Good luck with the talk!
--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing

Re: General OSM Talk

Frederik Ramm

On 10.03.19 15:10, Kate Chapman wrote:
> It has been about a year since I've given one of these talks. Is there
> anything new that you think is especially important or interesting I
> should be sure to not miss?

I have the impression that something that has been going on quietly,
without much fanfare, is how many mappers now participate in quality
assessment as part of their daily routine. The tool landscape is
scattered - you have the old(er) cohort of general QA tools like Osmose,
OSM Inspector, and even Keepright is still around, but you also have a
newer generation including OsmCha and "OSM Suspects" and other more
niche applications, and quite a few people are actually using these
services. QA used to be the domain of a few committed individuals but
meanwhile there's a proper "long tail" of QA contributors.

Bye
Frederik

Re: General OSM Talk

Jean-Marc Liotier
On Mon, March 11, 2019 9:23 am, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I have the impression that something that has been going on quietly,
> without much fanfare, is how many mappers now participate in quality
> assessment as part of their daily routine. The tool landscape is
> scattered - you have the old(er) cohort of general QA tools like Osmose,
> OSM Inspector, and even Keepright is still around, but you also have a
> newer generation including OsmCha and "OSM Suspects" and other more
> niche applications, and quite a few people are actually using these

Years ago I started using WhoDidIt to patrol my area of interest as part
of my gardening routine, but it was not what it was designed for: great
for visualizing where activity occurs but clunky for patrolling. OSMCHA
bridged that gap - it gives me real-time monitoring with integrated
tooling to detect bad changesets and engage (especially new mappers) with
changesets comments (though whether they respond is another matter)...
Catching them early before problems accrue beats having to deal with
accumulated errors later.