Generating SRTM elevation tiles in xyz format

Generating SRTM elevation tiles in xyz format

Nick Whitelegg-2

Hi,

As part of a couple of projects I'm developing (a modernisation of Freemap which hasn't seen much attention in recent years, and new work on my Hikar AR project for walkers; https://gitlab.com/nickw1/Hikar) I'd like to create SRTM elevation tiles in XYZ tile format. There are various mapping providers which serve these (but subject to usage limits/cost) and OpenMapTiles provide a download at cost, but to avoid these limitations I'd like to roll my own.

Obviously I could develop code to convert the .hgt files to XYZ tiles in Spherical Mercator, but it would be good to see if others have done the same thing to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Looks like Mapzen might have done a bit of work on this (https://github.com/mapzen/terrarium) though this doesn't match exactly what I'm looking for; could be used as a starting point.

Alternatively, does anyone provide a free download of XYZ tiled elevation data as static tiles a la Geofabrik?

Don't mind if it''s GeoJSON or some other format.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick Whitelegg
Senior Lecturer in Computing (Internet)  | School of Media Arts and Technology
Southampton Solent University  | RM424 | East Park Terrace | Southampton SO14 0YN
T: 023 8201 3075 | E: [hidden email] | W: solent.ac.uk

Re: Generating SRTM elevation tiles in xyz format

Ian Dees
I'd encourage you to look further into the Mapzen Terrain Tiles: https://mapzen.com/documentation/terrain-tiles/

I ran the most recent update of Terrain Tiles almost immediately before we shut down, so they have fairly recent/modern data in them. Also, they're completely free: Amazon agreed to host them on S3 without any "requester pays" restrictions. You can read more about that here: https://registry.opendata.aws/terrain-tiles/.

If you find those don't meet your needs, I'd be interested in hearing why.

-Ian

On Sat, Nov 3, 2018 at 7:31 AM Nick Whitelegg <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hello Ian,

Many thanks for these. So these will indeed remain free to access for the foreseeable? Very, very useful if so.

Thanks,

Nick