Generating contour vectors

Developer Discussion mailing list
Does anybody know of software to convert depth/elevation data in
ESRI-ASCII format into contour vectors, preferably as OSM polygons?

Re: Generating contour vectors

Karl Wettin-2
On Thu, 2020-03-26 at 08:28 +0000, Malcolm Herring via dev wrote:
> Does anybody know of software to convert depth/elevation data in
> ESRI-ASCII format into contour vectors, preferably as OSM polygons?

Srtm2Osm, perhaps? I'm however uncertain regarding what input data
needs to be, so you might have to convert your XYZ to something else
using ogr2ogr.

<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Srtm2Osm>

kalle

Re: Generating contour vectors

Chris Hill-6
Hi Malcolm,

I created contours from the UK Environment Agency LIDAR and wrote a post
about it
here:https://chris-osm.blogspot.com/2015/09/more-lidar-goodness.html I'm
not sure if this helps. GDAL stuff is useful.

The relief map is missing the road overlay now as the MapQuest roads
layer is no more, but with the water overlay you can see the detail
well. It is for Hull, which I believe you know well :-)

Cheers,

Chris Hill (chillly)

On 26/03/2020 08:28, Malcolm Herring via dev wrote:
> Does anybody know of software to convert depth/elevation data in
> ESRI-ASCII format into contour vectors, preferably as OSM polygons?

cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)

On 26/03/2020 15:34, Chris Hill wrote:
> GDAL stuff is useful.

Chris,

Thanks for that suggestion. I installed GDAL & ran "gdal_contour" on the
.ASC file, generating a .SHP file, which I then input to JOSM using the
OpenData plugin.

My reasons for this is to create a depth contour map to overlay on
nautical charts generated from the OSM database. The source of the depth
data is EMODnet (https://www.emodnet-bathymetry.eu). They have a depth
(& elevation) database for all of Europe & N. Africa on a 1/16th arc
minute grid.

Regards,
Malcolm