GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
Hello,

Sorry for cross-posting!

I wondered about the results using local geoserver with activated and configured geowebcache and udig 1.2 RC1 wmsc wizzard.

I try to describe, perhaps somebody could confirm:
- Add Web map Tile Cache Layer (WMSC)
- add url http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?tiled=true
- The final request was http://localhost:8080/geoserver/wms?TILED=true&REQUEST=GetCapabilities&SERVICE=WMS

So all the parameter keys are changed to upper cases because of org.geotools.data.ows.AbstractRequest class (setProperty() uses toUpperCase()). The Geowebcache WMSGetCapabilities class calls the getParameter of HttpServletRequest:
HttpServletRequest.getParameter("tiled");

I debugged a bit and the responding capabilities document has no VendorSpecificCapabilities section.

It looks like a bug in geowebcache because it ignores the uppercase TILED Parameter, doesn't it? Tilecache.org seems not handle tiled or TILED at all and always returns a capabilities document with a VendorSpecificCapabilitiessection.

Is the "tiled" request parameter a specific implementation of geowebcache or is it a required parameter described in the TMS specification (where can I find it)?

In regards,

Frank

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
OK, but I'm a bit confused about the place of the implementation. Could you explain the main reason not to implement it as an extension in geotools? Is it because of the pending status as a standard (TMS/WMSC)? Should the udig one be a reference client implementation?

The classes I looked at are very similar to the geotools wms extension. And many classes are implemented twice (geotools WMSComplexType / udig WMSCComplexType and their internal classes (like _ServiceType)).

Is it planed to move this stuff to the geotools library, so geoserver and other projects can benefit from it?

Would be nice to know ;)

Thanks,
Frank

On 28/03/2010, at 7:58 AM, Frank Gasdorf wrote:

OK, but I'm a bit confused about the place of the implementation. Could you explain the main reason not to implement it as an extension in geotools? Is it because of the pending status as a standard (TMS/WMSC)? Should the udig one be a reference client implementation?

Nothing so complicated.

I have not had time to port the code to geotools.
1) Porting is in two phases; porting the WMSC parsing code and code to fetch tiles.
2) Porting the tile fetching code that is currently done with eclipse Jobs (it would need to be translated to the java.util.concurrency Future api).
      There are two plugable strategy classes one  caches in memory; the other caches on disk.

You can actually see the original code was done in geotools but was dropped due to lack lack of community feedback.

(The above fetches nasa world wind tiles)

The classes I looked at are very similar to the geotools wms extension. And many classes are implemented twice (geotools WMSComplexType / udig WMSCComplexType and their internal classes (like _ServiceType)). Is it planed to move this stuff to the geotools library, so geoserver and other projects can benefit from it?

Would be nice to know ;)

I would love to see it migrated; at the moment all my volunteer time is going into uDig 1.2.0 release.
What I would *love* to see happen is the code submitted as a patch to the geotools "wms" module - and have the "wms" module take on all manner of tile server specifications.
If you would like to join me as module maintainer of wms and prepare the patch I would assist in the migration (transitioning uDig to depend on the classes as they are moved to geotools).

Simone has also expressed interest in the section item 2) above so I am CCing him on this conversation.

Jody

[...]

aaime
Jody Garnett ha scritto:
> Hrm you are correct GeoWebCache stopped working for me from the opengeo
> site; I have just continued testing with tilecache.

Which one?
Try http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
Hey Andrea,
I just tried http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache with the WMSC Wizard but got the same result: No layers are as sub elements down under the catalog entry. If i put the URL in the browser I got a capability document without the VendorSpecificCapabilitiessection. Even the WMS 1.1.1 link 'WMS 1.1.1 GetCapabilities document' returns a document without this section (TILED is uppercase). It looks much more inconsistent in the geowebcache universe. I already posted a message to the geowebcache developer list but didn't got an answer up to now. Do you know anybody who develops for this project we can trigger?

Cheers
Frank

Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:

> Hey Andrea,
> I just tried http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache with the WMSC Wizard
> but got the same result: No layers are as sub elements down under the
> catalog entry. If i put the URL in the browser I got a capability
> document without the VendorSpecificCapabilitiessection. Even the WMS
> 1.1.1 link 'WMS 1.1.1 GetCapabilities document
> <http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache/service/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=getcapabilities&TILED=true>'
> returns a document without this section (TILED is uppercase). It looks
> much more inconsistent in the geowebcache universe. I already posted a
> message to the geowebcache developer list but didn't got an answer up to
> now. Do you know anybody who develops for this project we can trigger?

I know both developers personally but if they did not have time to
answer so far I cannot just magically give them some.
If you're in a hurry to get the problem solved you'll have to look
into the sources yourself, or go for commercial support

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Andrea Aime ha scritto:

> Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
>> Hey Andrea,
>> I just tried http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache with the WMSC Wizard
>> but got the same result: No layers are as sub elements down under the
>> catalog entry. If i put the URL in the browser I got a capability
>> document without the VendorSpecificCapabilitiessection. Even the WMS
>> 1.1.1 link 'WMS 1.1.1 GetCapabilities document
>> <http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache/service/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=getcapabilities&TILED=true>'
>> returns a document without this section (TILED is uppercase). It looks
>> much more inconsistent in the geowebcache universe. I already posted a
>> message to the geowebcache developer list but didn't got an answer up
>> to now. Do you know anybody who develops for this project we can trigger?
>
> I know both developers personally but if they did not have time to
> answer so far I cannot just magically give them some.
> If you're in a hurry to get the problem solved you'll have to look
> into the sources yourself, or go for commercial support

Btw, I'm subscribed to that list and I see no message of yours... are
you really sure you were subscribed when you sent it?
I cannot see any message of yours on the nabble archives either.
They cannot respond a mail they don't see ;-)

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
Hi Andrea,
thanks for the hint. I subscribed the mailing list and without confirming I posted the message. I also registered to nabble and I can see my message. But I will post it again. And your are right, without a message nobody can reply ;)

Cheers, Frank

2010/3/29 Andrea Aime <[hidden email]>
Andrea Aime ha scritto:

Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
Hey Andrea,
I just tried http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache with the WMSC Wizard but got the same result: No layers are as sub elements down under the catalog entry. If i put the URL in the browser I got a capability document without the VendorSpecificCapabilitiessection. Even the WMS 1.1.1 link 'WMS 1.1.1 GetCapabilities document <http://maps.opengeo.org/geowebcache/service/wms?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=getcapabilities&TILED=true>' returns a document without this section (TILED is uppercase). It looks much more inconsistent in the geowebcache universe. I already posted a message to the geowebcache developer list but didn't got an answer up to now. Do you know anybody who develops for this project we can trigger?

Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
> Hi Andrea,
> thanks for the hint. I subscribed the mailing list and without
> confirming I posted the message. I also registered to nabble and I can
> see my message. But I will post it again. And your are right, without a
> message nobody can reply ;)

Mind, Nabble is funny sometimes, it shows you the message, but only
to you, though it should tell you in a yellow-ish box that the message
still hasn't landed on the mailing list.
In fact now that you've subscribed two copies of the same
message landed on the mailing list at one minute distance from
each other

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
After testing a view minutes I got NumberFormatExceptions within the tomcat container from the geowebcache (gwc) deployment. To make a long story short, the gwc seems to need the width and heigth parameter in the getMap request. On the website is written, that they implemented against WMS 1.1.0 where this parameters defined as mandatory. I already posted a message on the gwc mailing list to get a confirmation. And at the wiki-page http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WMS_Tiling_Client_Recommendation is written: 'Each tiling profile needs to establish ... [] width, height, srs.

The request of the udig wmsc client is right now without these parameters. So could anybody confirm, that the wmsc needs an update/patch? I already started to make some changes (to get it closer to geotools and makes it easier to port to this later). So what do you thing about a new improvement "Move WMSC core classes to geotools library" so I can attach the patches to it.

Thanks,
Frank

Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:

> After testing a view minutes I got NumberFormatExceptions within the
> tomcat container from the geowebcache (gwc) deployment. To make a long
> story short, the gwc seems to need the width and heigth parameter in the
> getMap request. On the website is written, that they implemented against
> WMS 1.1.0 where this parameters defined as mandatory. I already posted a
> message on the gwc mailing list to get a confirmation. And at the
> wiki-page http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/WMS_Tiling_Client_Recommendation is
> written: 'Each tiling profile needs to establish ... [] width, height, srs.
>
> The request of the udig wmsc client is right now without these
> parameters. So could anybody confirm, that the wmsc needs an
> update/patch? I already started to make some changes (to get it closer
> to geotools and makes it easier to port to this later). So what do you
> thing about a new improvement "Move WMSC core classes to geotools
> library" so I can attach the patches to it.

Moving WMSC classes to GeoTools would allow GeoServer to cascade
a WMSC service (e.g., to mix other data on top), something that is
requested by users every now and then (though they can also do it
on the client side using OpenLayers). I think it would be a nice addition

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
> Would you say it is an additional extension or should it be part of the
> wms module in geotools. In my opinion we should start it as a separate
> extension in the unsupported land
> (http://svn.osgeo.org/geotools/trunk/modules/unsupported/) because it's
> not a standard yet. Or is there somewhere an other sandbox area?

I agree it should be unsupported, it's a different protocol than WMS
(afaik the WMSC code supports also TMS, right?).

Cheers
Andrea

--
Andrea Aime
OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

Jody Garnett-2
It does not support TMS yet.
Jody

On 30/03/2010, at 8:12 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
>> Would you say it is an additional extension or should it be part of the wms module in geotools. In my opinion we should start it as a separate extension in the unsupported land (http://svn.osgeo.org/geotools/trunk/modules/unsupported/) because it's not a standard yet. Or is there somewhere an other sandbox area?
>
> I agree it should be unsupported, it's a different protocol than WMS
> (afaik the WMSC code supports also TMS, right?).
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --
> Andrea Aime
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
Maybe we could register this (WMSC/TMS Client for geotools) as a Google Summer of Code Project. What do you think?

2010/3/30 Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
It does not support TMS yet.
Jody

On 30/03/2010, at 8:12 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
>> Would you say it is an additional extension or should it be part of the wms module in geotools. In my opinion we should start it as a separate extension in the unsupported land (http://svn.osgeo.org/geotools/trunk/modules/unsupported/) because it's not a standard yet. Or is there somewhere an other sandbox area?
>
> I agree it should be unsupported, it's a different protocol than WMS
> (afaik the WMSC code supports also TMS, right?).
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --
> Andrea Aime
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

Jody Garnett-2
That would be a great start!
And yes an unsupported module would be good; we can gather up tile fetching code from a number of different sources now that we have a working starting point.

Jody

On 30/03/2010, at 11:57 PM, Frank Gasdorf wrote:

Maybe we could register this (WMSC/TMS Client for geotools) as a Google Summer of Code Project. What do you think?

2010/3/30 Jody Garnett <[hidden email]>
It does not support TMS yet.
Jody

On 30/03/2010, at 8:12 PM, Andrea Aime wrote:

> Frank Gasdorf ha scritto:
>> Would you say it is an additional extension or should it be part of the wms module in geotools. In my opinion we should start it as a separate extension in the unsupported land (http://svn.osgeo.org/geotools/trunk/modules/unsupported/) because it's not a standard yet. Or is there somewhere an other sandbox area?
>
> I agree it should be unsupported, it's a different protocol than WMS
> (afaik the WMSC code supports also TMS, right?).
>
> Cheers
> Andrea
>
> --
> Andrea Aime
> OpenGeo - http://opengeo.org

Re: GeoWebCache and udig WMSC

fgdrf
Hey Jody,

Please could you add a bullet-point in the os-wiki (http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010_Ideas#The_ideas_pages) as an idea for gsoc 2010 (I guess you have an account ;)).

That would really be great! Hopefully there are students out there!

Frank