Getting a list of neighborhoods within a city?

Getting a list of neighborhoods within a city?

Zac Witte
Is there a way to query for a list of neighborhoods within a city if I have the place_id of the city?

With geonames I can use this query to get the neighborhoods in San Francisco. I'm looking for the equivilent in OSM data. http://api.geonames.org/childrenJSON?geonameId=5391959&username=demo

Thanks!
Zac

Re: Getting a list of neighborhoods within a city?

Simone Cortesi
On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 7:41 PM, Zac Witte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> With geonames I can use this query to get the neighborhoods in San
> Francisco. I'm looking for the equivilent in OSM data.
> http://api.geonames.org/childrenJSON?geonameId=5391959&username=demo

I would run this query against http://overpass-turbo.eu/ : place=* in
"San Francisco, CA, USA"

--
-S

Re: Getting a list of neighborhoods within a city?

Stewart C. Russell
On 14-10-23 11:04 AM, Simone Cortesi wrote:
> I would run this query against http://overpass-turbo.eu/ : place=* in
> "San Francisco, CA, USA"

You'll get a lot of ways that just touch that area, too. I tried it for
my town in Canada, and it brought in most of the Lake Ontario coastline
down to upper New York. If you substitute "place=neighbourhood" for
"place=*" you'll get a more manageable result — but many neighbourhoods
are just marked as nodes, not closed ways.

cheers,
  Stewart