Getting data from gpsd

Glen Barnes
Hi,

I've got a Bluetooth GPS unit for my Mac which I can get data from using
gpsd. It seems that most of the documentation on the Openstreetmap
website explains how to download data from gps units that are standalone
units. Does anyone know of a way I can log the data from my computer
attached gps unit in a format that I can then upload to the
Openstreetmap server?

Also I see that most of discussion on the list is based around UK users.
I will be collecting data in New Zealand. I guess this is still OK to
upload? It's not just a UK/Europe thing right?

I'll be going a 4 day road trip starting Tuesday so it would be great if
I could get some logging sorted before then.

Thanks,
Glen

Re: Getting data from gpsd

Raphael Jacquot-2
Glen Barnes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a Bluetooth GPS unit for my Mac which I can get data from using
> gpsd. It seems that most of the documentation on the Openstreetmap
> website explains how to download data from gps units that are standalone
> units. Does anyone know of a way I can log the data from my computer
> attached gps unit in a format that I can then upload to the
> Openstreetmap server?
>
> Also I see that most of discussion on the list is based around UK users.
> I will be collecting data in New Zealand. I guess this is still OK to
> upload? It's not just a UK/Europe thing right?
>
> I'll be going a 4 day road trip starting Tuesday so it would be great if
> I could get some logging sorted before then.
>
> Thanks,
> Glen

If you can get DBUS to run on your mac, I have a gpxlogger that you can
start which will log whatever gpsd says.

see here:

http://www.navsys.org/cvs/logger

and click on "Download tarball" to get the source.

Re: Getting data from gpsd

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Amaury Jacquot]
> If you can get DBUS to run on your mac, I have a gpxlogger that you
> can start which will log whatever gpsd says.

This is a good option, if you can get it to work.  If you can't, I
believe gpsd include a NMEA log method to dump NMEA logs to file.  If
you do this, you can convert the NMEA log to GPX using gpsbabel later
on, and upload the GPX file to OSM.

Re: Getting data from gpsd

Glen Barnes

>If you can get DBUS to run on your mac, I have a gpxlogger that you can
>start which will log whatever gpsd says.
>
>see here:
>
>http://www.navsys.org/cvs/logger
>
>and click on "Download tarball" to get the source.

I've got my machine dual booting with linux which has bdus installed. I
tried compiling the gpxlogger software on that partition but I got the
following error:

undefined reference to function 'floor'.

Any ideas on how to fix this error?

Thanks,
Glen

Re: Getting data from gpsd

Petter Reinholdtsen

[Glen Barnes]
> I've got my machine dual booting with linux which has bdus
> installed. I tried compiling the gpxlogger software on that partition
> but I got the following error:
>
> undefined reference to function 'floor'.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this error?

Not really.  I got the floor() function from C99.  Where are you
trying to compile it?  You might try to replace it with round(), which
will give an inaccurate result, but might be good enough.

Re: Getting data from gpsd

frank mohr
Glen Barnes wrote:
> I've got my machine dual booting with linux which has bdus installed. I
> tried compiling the gpxlogger software on that partition but I got the
> following error:
>
> undefined reference to function 'floor'.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this error?

on my Debian, the floor() fkt is in libm.a that comes from libc6-dev.
(glibc-devel on SuSE)

Do you have the libc developer packages installed?

Re: Re: Getting data from gpsd

Glen Barnes
Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

>[Glen Barnes]
>

>>I've got my machine dual booting with linux which has bdus
>>installed. I tried compiling the gpxlogger software on that partition
>>but I got the following error:
>>
>>undefined reference to function 'floor'.
>>
>>Any ideas on how to fix this error?
>>

>Not really.  I got the floor() function from C99.  Where are you
>trying to compile it?  You might try to replace it with round(), which
>will give an inaccurate result, but might be good enough.

I've managed to track down the problem and get it compiling. It seems
that the autogen.sh does not add the swtich -lm to the compile. the -lm
switch is needed to locate maths library.

Glen

Re: Getting data from gpsd

Raphael Jacquot-2
Glen Barnes wrote:

>> If you can get DBUS to run on your mac, I have a gpxlogger that you can
>> start which will log whatever gpsd says.
>>
>> see here:
>>
>> http://www.navsys.org/cvs/logger
>>
>> and click on "Download tarball" to get the source.
>>

> I've got my machine dual booting with linux which has bdus installed. I
> tried compiling the gpxlogger software on that partition but I got the
> following error:
>
> undefined reference to function 'floor'.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this error?
>
> Thanks,
> Glen

hmmm. guess you need to add -lm for the math library :D