Glamping

voschix
How to tag an acommodation that offers hotel-type accommodation in semi-permanent tents?
How to tag the single tents?

Re: Glamping

dieterdreist

Am Do., 20. Dez. 2018 um 11:53 Uhr schrieb Volker Schmidt <[hidden email]>:
How to tag an acommodation that offers hotel-type accommodation in semi-permanent tents?
How to tag the single tents?

is it "hotel type" or "hostel type"? We could either invent a new tag or use one of the tourism classes that are already there. I could see adding them as camp sites or maybe even chalets and add a subtag for the "glamour" part? It would be good to know whether they are permanent.
Single tents would usually not be considered "building" I guess. Maybe an exception could be made if they are permanent.

Am Do., 20. Dez. 2018 um 12:49 Uhr schrieb Volker Schmidt <[hidden email]>:
That's the one I have come across:

this one could also be seen as kind of hotel (or kind of camp site)

Re: Glamping

voschix
I now see that Booking.com have a dedicated portal for Glamping in the UK
That should provide examples.

Am Do., 20. Dez. 2018 um 13:03 Uhr schrieb Volker Schmidt <[hidden email]>:
This is definitely a luxury establishment. It's located near a famous stud farm. I expect visitors to that place to be their main clientèle. It is formally an Agriturismo. Definitely not a camp site.

a luxury camp site obviously, not what you'd generally expect from a camp site (which btw. already is very inclusive in OSM).

Re: Glamping

Sergio Manzi

Yeah, I know what you are talking about: my brother-in-low is setting up one in Mexico and he too refers to it as "a Glamping".

It is in Dictionary.com too: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/glamping

Sergio

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Glamping

Graeme Fitzpatrick
But there are camp sites with luxury onsite tents = glamping; while other camp sites also have onsite tents that only offer basic accommodation = camping.

Think it would come down to either
tourism=camp_site
luxury / glamping=yes

or

tourism=glamping

Thanks

Graeme

Re: Glamping

Nelson A. de Oliveira
On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 8:20 PM Graeme Fitzpatrick
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> But there are camp sites with luxury onsite tents = glamping; while other camp sites also have onsite tents that only offer basic accommodation = camping.

Aa very modest hotel and an extremely luxurious hotel are both tourism=hotel
It would make sense to have the same criteria for tourism=camp_site

Maybe stars https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stars#Camp_sites
could be used to distinguish the different camping sites classes?

Re: Glamping

Am Do., 20. Dez. 2018 um 23:20 Uhr schrieb Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]>:
But there are camp sites with luxury onsite tents = glamping; while other camp sites also have onsite tents that only offer basic accommodation = camping.

Think it would come down to either
tourism=camp_site
luxury / glamping=yes

or

tourism=glamping

I agree, of those I'd prefer
tourism=camp_site
with luxury / glamping=yes/only/(no)/...

I believe the description of tourism=camp_site does apply:
"An area where people can camp overnight using tents, camper vans or caravans."
although I am not completely sure about the verb "to camp" for people sleeping in a hotel like luxury tent.

Maybe "luxury" is easier to understand for non natives, and it is more inclusive than "glamping", there are various luxury facilities where people sleep in tents, which don't refer to the term "glamping", and which provide luxury sometimes without glamour, e.g. desert camps in the arabian world (from a quick web search, not affiliated):

If you think the term is important, I'd rather add it additionally:
luxury=yes
glamour / glamping=yes

Not sure about the verifiability, we could go by the claim / selfdescription of the place.

Re: Glamping

Am Fr., 21. Dez. 2018 um 01:29 Uhr schrieb Nelson A. de Oliveira <[hidden email]>:
Maybe stars https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stars#Camp_sites
could be used to distinguish the different camping sites classes?

the stars we are using for hotels are not arbitrarily chosen by us, but (at least in Europe) are those assigned by the hotelstars association.
If we were to use such generic classes for camp sites they will have to be verifiable. I'd prefer describing what distinguishes the places, rather than summing it up in a 1-5 category.

Re: Glamping

OSMDoudou
Tagging as glamping is very helpful because glamping is a recognized concept, so you can learn more about it at many places on the web, one of which can be Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamping.

But I wouldn’t tag luxury or glamour to reflect that a glamping is a luxury or glamour place because that is already part of the concept.

And if a particular glamping was to have more luxury or glamour than the average, tagging as luxury or glamour is tempting as it would reflect this one has *extra* offerings over the average.

But then of course, the question of anyone curious at this place will be to wonder what more luxury or glamour this one has over an average one.

And this would be because of infrastructure or services which is then to be tagged as it is verifiable and much more informative than a simple luxury=yes tag.

And you leave to the user to decide if it is luxury or not, because what is “luxury” for one can be just “normal” for someone else or can change over time (because what was luxury years ago is maybe not anymore today).

Re: Glamping

voschix
I think I could tag "my" glamping place as amenity=camp_site by extending the tags for camp site
I notice that it has tagging for static caravans and cabins, but not for static tents, which is a frequent feature anyway at many camp sites (e.g. in the UK). It is also lacking the possibility to give the capacity for these categories in numbers, it only shows yes/no as options.
The luxury of the place can be tagged with camp_site=deluxe

So we would have something like
amenity=camp_site
camp_site=deluxe
static_tents=4
beds=xx
tents=no
caravans=no
static_caravans=no
cabins=no

One could use also
camp_site:type=glamping

Volker

On 21 Dec 2018 10:36 am, "Martin Koppenhoefer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am Fr., 21. Dez. 2018 um 01:29 Uhr schrieb Nelson A. de Oliveira <[hidden email]>:
Maybe stars https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stars#Camp_sites
could be used to distinguish the different camping sites classes?

the stars we are using for hotels are not arbitrarily chosen by us, but (at least in Europe) are those assigned by the hotelstars association.
If we were to use such generic classes for camp sites they will have to be verifiable. I'd prefer describing what distinguishes the places, rather than summing it up in a 1-5 category.

Re: Glamping

Graeme Fitzpatrick
Then you also have the situation where glamping is an offshoot of the main purpose of the site eg https://taronga.org.au/dubbo-zoo/accommodation

Use a separate tourism=camp_site tag in the middle of the Zoo grounds?

But it's only in the on-site cabins / tents, it's not available to just anybody to set up their own tent, so access=no / private?

Thanks

Graeme

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 at 21:18, Volker Schmidt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think I could tag "my" glamping place as amenity=camp_site by extending the tags for camp site
I notice that it has tagging for static caravans and cabins, but not for static tents, which is a frequent feature anyway at many camp sites (e.g. in the UK). It is also lacking the possibility to give the capacity for these categories in numbers, it only shows yes/no as options.
The luxury of the place can be tagged with camp_site=deluxe

Re: Glamping

bkil
There are a few sites around here that come to mind, although we generally view them to be a kind of camping site.

Some also try to sell them as "motels", because parking outside in the woods is easy and they are very inexpensive. Although I think those who are pushing it are overdoing it.

I may not be grasping the exact concept of glamping and the borderline between glamping and camping, as this term is not widely known in Hungary. Most of the non-free, commercial, but basic camping sites around here provide all those amenities listed in Wikipedia, including electricity, Wi-Fi, drinking water, bathing, kitchen, washing machines, warden service and in many cases flush toilets too, otherwise people would not be willing to pay for them.

Many such camping sites also offer a few guest_house/motel-style rooms in wooden or brick structures greatly enhanced compared to simple cabins, and even a restaurant or pub. I usually add a separate POI per function in such cases following best practice.

What is the criteria for determining when to use cabins=* instead of adding a separate motel/guest_house POI, what is the definition of a cabin?