Global Mapathon to help end female genital mutilation (FGM) - 28th to 30th September - please help promote!

Global Mapathon to help end female genital mutilation (FGM) - 28th to 30th September - please help promote!

j.chapman

To coincide with a UN General Assembly High Level Panel event which will include discussion on how mapping can help the fight against female genital mutilation (FGM), and a mapathon in New York, we are organising a global mapathon

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/global-mapathon-to-help-end-female-genital-mutilation-fgm-tickets-49858325594

We are building a global network to unite people from across the world to help map areas where girls are at risk of FGM so that activists can better protect them. We will be posting on social media using #map2endFGM.

Please join us and help spread the word throughout your networks!

We want to include mappers from every country where FGM is an issue.

Many thanks

Janet

Janet Chapman

Campaigns Manager, Tanzania Development Trust and Founder Crowd2Map

Address: 44 Mildenhall Road LONDON E5 0RU, UK

Mobile/SMS/WhatsApp: 0447815 053 779

Skype : jachapman82

LinkedIn uk.linkedin.com/in/janetchapman

Blog: http://hiaragirlpower.blogspot.co.uk/    and  www.crowd2map.org

The Tanzania Development Trust is UK Registered Charity No 270462

www.tanzdevtrust.org

Re: Global Mapathon to help end female genital mutilation (FGM) - 28th to 30th September - please help promote!

Rupert Allan-4
Dear Delphine and Florence,

Our HOT project in Tanzania is running a collaborative Mapathon with UNFPA, involving the Sectretariat, and I wondered if you would like to be involved, here in Uganda. The Tanzanian project is focused on FGM and SGBV. Our intrepid community surveyors feed back considerable evidence of SGBV in the areas we have been working in (Arua, Yumbe and Hoima). We map relevant key geospatial indicators there. Being part of those communities, our people are always aware of the protection issues on the ground in Refugee and Host communities themselves.

We are able to run a Mapathon event in Kampala, in which we could introduce people to contributions which can be made from afar. HERE is a video of, broadly, how it works.

HERE is a sample of those interactive maps, this one showing distances from villages to schools in Arua, and here is a map of WASHPOINTS WITHOUT LIGHTING throughout Arua and Yumbe districts (excluding BidiBidi). The yellow points show 'Lit WASH Points'.

Please pass this on to anybody interested.

Best wishes,

Rupert
Rupert Allan
Country Manager - Uganda
E-Mail: [hidden email]
Uganda:+256777656999 (mtn) /+256792297795 (africell)
UK: +447970540647
Skype: Reuben Molotov
HOT Uganda
twitter | instagram
Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development
web | twitter | facebook | donate