Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

Andreas Vilén
Hi!

The Turkish government has forced Google to delete a user made map of Kurdistan. I read this in a Swedish news article here: https://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/google-raderade-kurdistan-karta/ This is the best English source I can find: https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/google-forced-to-delete-custom-made-map-of-kurdistan-amid-pressure-from-turkey/

They were forced to delete it for Turkish citizens but chose to delete it completely anyway ("technical reasons"), but have since restored it for the rest of the world: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&mid=1umTU2XPOmzQ245YY40dF_NNTpVc&ll=36.21402763739052%2C39.249140445657076&z=9

This got me thinking: how does OSM display Kurdistan? It seems, we don't. This relation covers the Iranian province of Kurdistan: https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5392650 However there doesn't seem to be any map that covers the entire area.

I realize that it might be hard to map this since the region has no official border, right? I have no local knowledge at all, so I'm really just rising the topic for discussion. Also, there's no way to know if the Turkish government will crack down on OSMF if we do this.

Opinions?

Regards Andreas

Re: Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 10.01.19 22:36, Andreas Vilén wrote:
> However there
> doesn't seem to be any map that covers the entire area.

I don't know what you mean. Of course OSM covers the entire area?

Bye
Frederik

Re: Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

Andreas Vilén
Yes, obviously, but is there anything that marks a certain area as Kurdistan? I haven’t found anything.

Google maps doesn’t delete the entire map area but aren’t allowed to show which area is normally called Kurdistan for Turkish citizens since Turkey denies its existance.

/Andreas

Skickat från min iPhone

> 11 jan. 2019 kl. 07:52 skrev Frederik Ramm <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> On 10.01.19 22:36, Andreas Vilén wrote:
>> However there
>> doesn't seem to be any map that covers the entire area.
>
> I don't know what you mean. Of course OSM covers the entire area?
>
> Bye
> Frederik
>
> --
> Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

> On 11. Jan 2019, at 16:15, Andreas Vilén <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, obviously, but is there anything that marks a certain area as Kurdistan? I haven’t found anything.

I guess you’ll have to wait for the new OSMF policy that might eventually replace the on-the-ground rule. Heather wrote some days ago that they are going to release a statement soon.

Cheers, Martin

Re: Google deletes map of Kurdistan - can we do better?

max-2
I think it's a false equivalence to ask for Kurdistan in OSM when in the
case of Google it was a users shared outline. The equivalent would be a
uMap.  Here, I made one:

https://umap.openstreetmap.fr/de/map/kurdistan_281832

(I uploaded the .kml of the google user map)

I doubt this will enrage Turkish officials as much as a google branded
one, but who knows, maybe they will protest with the french abassador,
after all it is a .fr domain. /s

m.