Google-free phones

Andrew Hain
How well do OSM apps work on Google-free Android phones?

--
Andrew

Re: Google-free phones

Frederik Ramm
Hi,

On 26.11.19 08:57, Andrew Hain wrote:
> How well do OSM apps work on Google-free Android phones?

Don't see what the issue should be... I've personally run OsmAnd,
Vespucci, and OsmTracker on a non-Gapps Lineage phone and they all work
without a glitch.

Bye
Frederik

Re: Google-free phones

James-2
Unless the app is specifically only targetting google services such as the Google Location Services(FusedLocationProviderApi) and not the location api available in the android.location package(which is bad practice)

On Tue., Nov. 26, 2019, 4:19 a.m. Frederik Ramm, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On 26.11.19 08:57, Andrew Hain wrote:
> How well do OSM apps work on Google-free Android phones?

Don't see what the issue should be... I've personally run OsmAnd,
Vespucci, and OsmTracker on a non-Gapps Lineage phone and they all work
without a glitch.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [hidden email]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"

Re: Google-free phones

SimonPoole
Just as a additional point: it is a specific design goal to not require
any google services or non-open libraries for Vespucci. Unluckily that
doesn't mean that you are not completely at the mercy of the goog
anyway, see for example the for all practical purposes deprecation of
all devices with pre-Android 4 OS versions and the likely soon to happen
further  dumping of anything lower than 4.4.

Simon