Google nearly up to date

Nick Hocking
"Thats nufin - Google maps will navigate you right across the runway of
Avalon Airport.."

They must have been practicing for mapping the runway at Gibraltar - at least they got that one right.
The latest Sensis mapping has that error but the latest Navteq ones don't - Strange.

The accuracy on the commercial mapping varies wildly. In the Adelaide hills the Sensis maps are excellent. I only found two tiny errors and they were completely inconsequential.  Elsewhere the mapping can be  completely useless.

In Binalong, for example the Sensis maps are out by about 50 metres, which means that your car navigation system never knows which street it is on. Tathra had this problem (93 metres out) in the V13 release but the newer R14 maps have been corrected.

If the commercial mappers cared at all about accuracy (which I don't think they do - Yet) they have the perfect tool available to address the problem  (OSM).

All they have to do is compare their maps to the OSM data, and where they are different, they send someone out to see who got it right.

Talking of accuracy - I mapped two streets in Yass and I think that I've got one of them wrong. I must have either misread the street sign or I have made a typo whilst editing.  Does anyone have authoritave information (from a non copyrighted source) of the correct name for what I've tagged as Ross Street.  (I think it may well be Rossi Street).

Nick

Liz

Re: Google nearly up to date

Liz
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Nick Hocking wrote:
> Talking of accuracy - I mapped two streets in Yass and I think that I've
> got one of them wrong. I must have either misread the street sign or I have
> made a typo whilst editing.  Does anyone have authoritave information (from
> a non copyrighted source) of the correct name for what I've tagged as Ross
> Street.  (I think it may well be Rossi Street).

It's Rossi Street
I was there one week ago.

Re: Google nearly up to date

Jim Croft
why just map it?  ...  here's the real thing:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=16&ll=-6.731823,146.996298&spn=0.01952,0.026951&t=k

jim

Liz

Re: Google nearly up to date

Liz
On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Nick Hocking wrote:

> Thanks Liz,
>
> I bet you guessed that I zoomed in to make sure the I wasn't in fact an "!"
>
> :-)
>
> A while back I thought about going around Canberra photographing close ups
> of all the plaques that I could find. My Mio will geotag photos, so even
> though the lens is rubbish, on a good day, and close up,  it should be good
> enough for a plaque or two.
>
> Cheers
> Nick

I'm really taken with the happy snap camera, doing a photo of a waypoint to
show the time properly and georeferencing the photos.
much easier than pen and paper
next trip to ACT I can photograph some more of Binalong, Galong, Yass and just
keep the GPS running. No making more than one waypoint a day unless you do a
battery change that day.

--
        My dear People.
        My dear Bagginses and Boffins, and my dear Tooks and Brandybucks,

Re: Google nearly up to date

James Andrewartha-4
On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 22:32 +1100, Jim Croft wrote:
> why just map it?  ...  here's the real thing:
>
> http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&om=1&z=16&ll=-6.731823,146.996298&spn=0.01952,0.026951&t=k

I thought that was going to be a google street view link - which reminds
me, what are the legalities of getting names from street view?

James Andrewartha

Re: Google nearly up to date

Jim Croft
Interesting.   Just been checking out suburban intersections in
Canberra using GSV and while you can often find the signpost, you can
rarely read the street names on them.  Sometimes on a narrow street T-
intersection, if the car was on the left hand side of the road, close
to the sign, you can just make out the letters.

[ Also interesting, the blue GSV route overlays are sometimes quite
inaccurate WRT the air photos.  Check out Academy Close in Campbell
and the Russell offices at the end of Northcott Drive - in both cases
the road goes through buildings.  It is not just a matter of
registration and misalignment - the shape is wrong.   Note also in
this area the street view map and the street map are out of alignment
by 5 or 6 m or more.  Easter eggery or simple shoddiness? ]

Why would the copyright and associated fair use provisions of the GSV
be any different to the rest of Google maps and other Google
offerings?

Whether you decide to use GSV as base data, or third party
confirmation, the above examples show you really need to check and
confirm everything independently.

jim