Grass JGrass preferences

iomeneandrei
Hi all,
I have a question about Grass JGrass preferences. I must define Grass path and mapset.
Is the second parameter mandatory? If I set it, I will be able to work only with the defined mapset? What's
the practical consequences of setting (or not) this parameter?

Thank you and good sunday,

Andrea Borruso

email: aborruso@tin.it
website: http://blog.spaziogis.it
my 2.0 life: http://aborruso.spaziogis.it
feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/Tanto
38° 7' 48" N, 13° 21' 9" E

Re: Grass JGrass preferences

Silvia Franceschi-2
Hi Andrea,
Sunday is a good working day since the weather is so  ugly as in Trentino in these days... :-)

About you question...

Hi all,
I have a question about Grass JGrass preferences. I must define Grass path
and mapset.
Is the second parameter mandatory? If I set it, I will be able to work only
with the defined mapset?

you have to set the GRASS mapset in the preferences because JGrass need to know the region and the maps available for the elaborations... the location is not enough because the mapset contained in it have different regions and different maps...
I don't know exactly but I think the real reason of this is to be sure to make calculation with the right maps in the right region.

What's
the practical consequences of setting (or not) this parameter?

You can set the mapset in the on the fly, using the fast preferences settings: right click with the mouse on the Console editor and set the mapset. If you want to change it during calculation I think it would be enough changing this path without changing the all GRASS preferences. Not really sure... :-)
Maybe Andrea would be more explicit explaining to you all the practical consequences...

Ciao

Silvia

Thank you and good sunday,

-----
Andrea Borruso

Re: Grass JGrass preferences

Andrea Antonello
Hi JGrassers,

> Sunday is a good working day since the weather is so  ugly as in Trentino in
> these days... :-)

yeah, that is why we are here then :)

>> I have a question about Grass JGrass preferences. I must define Grass path
>> and mapset.
>> Is the second parameter mandatory? If I set it, I will be able to work
>> only
>> with the defined mapset?
>
> you have to set the GRASS mapset in the preferences because JGrass need to
> know the region and the maps available for the elaborations... the location
> is not enough because the mapset contained in it have different regions and
> different maps...
> I don't know exactly but I think the real reason of this is to be sure to
> make calculation with the right maps in the right region.
>

>> What's
>> the practical consequences of setting (or not) this parameter?
>
> You can set the mapset in the on the fly, using the fast preferences
> settings: right click with the mouse on the Console editor and set the
> mapset. If you want to change it during calculation I think it would be
> enough changing this path without changing the all GRASS preferences. Not
> really sure... :-)
> Maybe Andrea would be more explicit explaining to you all the practical
> consequences...

You already said it right Silvia, nothing to add. There is a global
mapset definition that is used when no session bound mapset is set.
The mapset is necessary because it contains the region information to
do calculations. Currently JGrass supports working inside only a
single mapset per calculation (to change the mapset, just change the
runtime definition like Silvia explained).

Ciao
Andrea