Quantcast

Greetings from a newb

Chris Berens
Hi THERE!

I started editing yesterday in Cape Town (Khayelitsha and Gugulethu) using JOSM.  Successfully pushed a couple of updates and happy to see changes appear in OSM.

Just been through some of the archives.  Thanks for the heads up on the 66cm offset of the CoCT2014/12 imagery and a great list of open ZA spatial data sources.

I support VPUU with their spatial data management, we are hoping to integrate much of our local knowledge into OSM so best I skill up so as not to make a mess.
We'd like to contribute some open infrastructure, housing and suburb content that we have derived but I'm still figuring out multipolygons, relationships and issues with overlaps.  Pointers to relevant knowledge bases welcome.

Regards,
Chris Berens

Re: Greetings from a newb

Grant Slater
Hi Chris,

Sorry, I should have said awhile back...

I have corrected the offset of the ultra-high-resolution CoCT aerial
imagery. Its precision is now within around 10cm, so best to use exact
positions from the imagery.
The imagery is now available in both JOSM and the OpenStreetMap.org
online editor iD.
It can also be viewed here: http://coct.aerial.openstreetmap.org.za/

Kind regards,

Grant

On 24 January 2017 at 14:00, Chris Berens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi THERE!
>
> I started editing yesterday in Cape Town (Khayelitsha and Gugulethu) using
> JOSM.  Successfully pushed a couple of updates and happy to see changes
> appear in OSM.
>
> Just been through some of the archives.  Thanks for the heads up on the 66cm
> offset of the CoCT2014/12 imagery and a great list of open ZA spatial data
> sources.
>
> I support VPUU with their spatial data management, we are hoping to
> integrate much of our local knowledge into OSM so best I skill up so as not
> to make a mess.
> We'd like to contribute some open infrastructure, housing and suburb content
> that we have derived but I'm still figuring out multipolygons, relationships
> and issues with overlaps.  Pointers to relevant knowledge bases welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Chris Berens

Re: Greetings from a newb

Chris Booysen
Hi

Yep - got that link but did not know the offset was fixed.

Pity we do not have the whole country

Regards

Chris