Grid size

Esther H. Jensen
Hello there,
When I run some of the tools in the Horton Machine I get an error message telling me that it is out of memory. I tried changing the ini file and also using the gui but I get errors when I start jgrass again (see attchment). The grid I am working on is 346MB but my machine has 4GB RAM.
Regards, Esther

Re: Grid size

Andrea Antonello
Hi Esther,
I assume you are on a windows machine, where java has a limitation
that is given by the operating system, i.e. usually you can't supply
more then 1200-1500megabytes.

You forgot to add the attachment, so I am not sure. :)

To get over it you should use a unix/linux based system.

Andrea

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Esther H. Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello there,
> When I run some of the tools in the Horton Machine I get an error message
> telling me that it is out of memory. I tried changing the ini file and also
> using the gui but I get errors when I start jgrass again (see attchment).
> The grid I am working on is 346MB but my machine has 4GB RAM.
> Regards, Esther

Re: Grid size

Andrea Antonello
 Just to make sure it is that, could you lover it to 1100 or 1000 and
 see if it works?
 On my windows machine I have the same problem, which I hate: 4 GB of
 RAM and can't get over 1170Mb :(

 A very nice explanation about that can be found here:
 http://sinewalker.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/32-bit-windows-and-jvm-virtual-memory-limit/

 Sorry about that, it is not JGrass, it is any java based application.

 On linux I can confirm that we exploit more than 2900 megabytes.

 Ciao
 Andrea

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Esther H. Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> sure I forgot the attachment... I am working on a windows machine yes, guilty as charged.

Re: Grid size

Esther H. Jensen
Jgrass works when I put it to 1040 but it runs out of memory even though the grid file is 376MB. Does it have to have three times the space to be able to execute the flow calculations? Or is it possible that there is some other place where the size is defined? When I run Grass the default size is 300MB. I am completely new to Grass and JGrass and I have not found out how to do all the settings.
Regards,
Esther
 Just to make sure it is that, could you lover it to 1100 or 1000 and
 see if it works?
 On my windows machine I have the same problem, which I hate: 4 GB of
 RAM and can't get over 1170Mb :(

 A very nice explanation about that can be found here:
 http://sinewalker.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/32-bit-windows-and-jvm-virtual-memory-limit/

 Sorry about that, it is not JGrass, it is any java based application.

 On linux I can confirm that we exploit more than 2900 megabytes.

 Ciao
 Andrea

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Esther H. Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> sure I forgot the attachment... I am working on a windows machine yes, guilty as charged.

Re: Grid size

Andrea Antonello
> Jgrass works when I put it to 1040 but it runs out of memory even though the grid file is 376MB. Does it have to have three times the space to be able to execute the flow calculations?

A 376Mb is a quite nice raster dimension, since in the GRASS workspace
rasters are also compressed.
Could you give us an idea about how many rows and columns we are
talking about? At which resolution?

Before you calculate flow directions, you will have to perform the
h.pitfiller, and that one is highly recursive and memory intensive. We
have some work ongoing that will consider tiling in the case of such
large rasters, but at the moment it is in the sperimental JGrass, so
no way to get that now.

> Or is it possible that there is some other place where the size is defined? When I run Grass the default size is 300MB. I am completely new to Grass and JGrass and I have not found out how to do all the settings.

What you can do is consider to lower the active's region resolution,
on which you make your calculations.

Here an explanation about the active region:
http://jgrass.wiki.software.bz.it/jgrass/The_Active_Region

Hope this helps,
Andrea

> Regards,
> Esther

Re: Grid size

Esther H. Jensen
>A 376Mb is a quite nice raster dimension, since in the GRASS workspace
rasters are also compressed.
Could you give us an idea about how many rows and columns we are
talking about? At which resolution?

This is the header of the ESRI-ascii grid. The 376MB is the ESRI-ascii grid size. The other grass grids are much smaller (I just found out).
ncols         10064
nrows         7313
xllcorner     371397.837525
yllcorner     453090.02127698
cellsize      25
NODATA_value  -9999

I am running Windows on a 64 platform but it doesn't seem to make my life easier.
Regards,
Esther

Re: Grid size

Andrea Antonello
>>A 376Mb is a quite nice raster dimension, since in the GRASS workspace
> rasters are also compressed.
> Could you give us an idea about how many rows and columns we are
> talking about? At which resolution?
>
> This is the header of the ESRI-ascii grid. The 376MB is the ESRI-ascii grid size. The other grass grids are much smaller (I just found out).
> ncols         10064
> nrows         7313
> xllcorner     371397.837525
> yllcorner     453090.02127698
> cellsize      25
> NODATA_value  -9999

That is what I thought :) Huge raster. You will definitely need more
memory or to lower your resolution.

> I am running Windows on a 64 platform but it doesn't seem to make my life easier.

You are running on a 64 platform, but would bet that the operating
system is a 32 bit windows. If it was a 64 windows it should be able
to allocate all the memory you give to it.

Andrea