Grounds surrounding churches etc.

Tom Taylor-2
Is there any tag to be applied to the grounds surrounding a place of
worship? In my case, I have churches and synagogues with surrounding
parking space and landscaping.

For schools, I gather the convention is to tag building=school, then
enclose the grounds and tag them amenity=school etc. I don't think there
is a similar convention for places of worship.

Tom Taylor
TomT5454

Re: Grounds surrounding churches etc.

Phil! Gold
* Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> [2012-11-21 13:14 -0500]:
> Is there any tag to be applied to the grounds surrounding a place of
> worship? In my case, I have churches and synagogues with surrounding
> parking space and landscaping.

There's not really a documented tag for this.  Based on a perusal of
taginfo (http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/landuse), I use
landuse=religious for these areas.

Re: Grounds surrounding churches etc.

Tom Taylor-2
I opened the Discussion tab of the amenity=place_of_worship Wiki article
and saw that this was a current topic of discussion last April.

The Map Features page actually has this to say for building=church:

"A building that was built as a church. Used in conjunction with
amenity=place_of_worship, religion=* and denomination=* for the church
grounds where it is in current use."

That seems to imply that the building is just building=church and the
grounds constitute the amenity.

On 21/11/2012 2:10 PM, Phil! Gold wrote:

> * Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> [2012-11-21 13:14 -0500]:
>> Is there any tag to be applied to the grounds surrounding a place of
>> worship? In my case, I have churches and synagogues with surrounding
>> parking space and landscaping.
>
> There's not really a documented tag for this.  Based on a perusal of
> taginfo (http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/landuse), I use
> landuse=religious for these areas.

Re: Grounds surrounding churches etc.

John Sturdy
On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any tag to be applied to the grounds surrounding a place of
> worship? In my case, I have churches and synagogues with surrounding parking
> space and landscaping.

If the grounds are used as a place of burial, I tag them with
"landuse=graveyard" (as distinct from "landuse=cemetery", which I use
for places of burial not surrounding places of worship).

__John

Re: Grounds surrounding churches etc.

Tom Taylor-2
I tried making the land the amenity, but I don't like the rendering. It
came out dark grey, hiding the actual building.

The problem is actually more general. What we need is a landuse=grounds,
or something like that, to indicate land the function of which is to
serve the building(s) it encloses.

On 22/11/2012 1:07 PM, John Sturdy wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Is there any tag to be applied to the grounds surrounding a place of
>> worship? In my case, I have churches and synagogues with surrounding parking
>> space and landscaping.
>
> If the grounds are used as a place of burial, I tag them with
> "landuse=graveyard" (as distinct from "landuse=cemetery", which I use
> for places of burial not surrounding places of worship).
>
> __John

R: Grounds surrounding churches etc.

Alech OSM

Re: Grounds surrounding churches etc.

Alex Rollin
On Nov 23, 2012, at 2:15 AM, Tom Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:

The problem is actually more general. What we need is a landuse=grounds, or something like that, to indicate land the function of which is to serve the building(s) it encloses.

A relation would seem to serve this best.  If the grounds are a more important aspect of the location perhaps a node in the relation will serve well.