HOT and the OSMF

dieterdreist
Is there a formal connection between Hot Inc. and the OpenStreetMapFoundation? I just noticed hot.openstreetmap.org gets redirected to Hot Inc.
It was not really obvious from their homepage to understand that it is a Hot Inc. site and not (or is it?) an OSMF site.

Do you know where I can find the criteria for projects and businesses to get a redirect from a osm.org subdomain?

Re: HOT and the OSMF

Tom Hughes-3

> Is there a formal connection between Hot Inc. and the
> OpenStreetMapFoundation? I just noticed hot.openstreetmap.org
> <http://hot.openstreetmap.org> gets redirected to Hot Inc.
> It was not really obvious from their homepage to understand that it is a
> Hot Inc. site and not (or is it?) an OSMF site.
> https://www.hotosm.org/

There is no formal connection that I know of.

> Do you know where I can find the criteria for projects and businesses to
> get a redirect from a osm.org <http://osm.org> subdomain?

There are no such formal criteria.

That redirect was setup many years and and it's highly
unlikely we would do it now, at least other than with the
direct approval of the board.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: HOT and the OSMF

Am 26.03.2019 um 16:19 schrieb Tom Hughes <[hidden email]>:

That redirect was setup many years and and it's highly
unlikely we would do it now, at least other than with the
direct approval of the board.

back then Hot probably wasn’t even incorporated themselves, but now that there are several entities engaged in humanitarian OpenStreetMap activities I think it would be fairer to point to an osm page with an overview of OSM related humanitarian work. There is https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team
but at the moment it is also only about hot us inc.

Cheers, Martin

Re: HOT and the OSMF

Jean-Marc Liotier

In some countries (Mali for example), HOT is by far the institution with the most notoriety related to Openstreetmap - and it is often the only one. There, Openstreetmap appears to be a humanitarian mapping project under supervision and sponsorship of HOT. The confusion is real and the least the OSMF could do to start clearing it is to make sure that the domains are separate. http://hot.openstreetmap.org must not point to a HOT domain.

Re: HOT and the OSMF

john whelan-2
Apparently I'm the mapper who is the 4th in Mali and currently I do not map for HOT.

HOT does not have a monopoly in Mali.

Cheerio John

Cheerio John

On 3/26/19 8:31 PM, john whelan wrote:
> Apparently I'm the mapper who is the 4th in Mali and currently I do
> not map for HOT.
> HOT does not have a monopoly in Mali.

Yes - rural Mali in Openstreetmap owes a lot to you. I'm the one who is
first on that list (I'm more a urban mapping sort or person), I'm not
HOT and neither is the second (someone on an Apple project - he did nice
work on the riverbanks). The three of us represent two thirds of all map
changes in Mali in the last two months.

Anyway, we are foreigners.

The locals on the other hand, a very large portion or which (among the
top 20 people alone, I estimate 7 people, reaching around 19% of all
changes, mostly buildings <muffled sobs>) are socially connected to
Nathalie Sidibé, who sits on the HOT board. The #Hotosm tagged and
tasking-manager coordinated changes are only the visible part.
Francophonie-connected people have led some significant efforts in the
past, but HOT's comparatively large budget goes a long way in those
parts - in terms of social reach.

Re: HOT and the OSMF

sdoerr
On 26/03/2019 18:24, Jean-Marc Liotier wrote:

> In some countries (Mali for example), HOT is by far the institution
> with the most notoriety related to Openstreetmap - and it is often the
> only one. There, Openstreetmap appears to be a humanitarian mapping
> project under supervision and sponsorship of HOT. The confusion is
> real and the least the OSMF could do to start clearing it is to make
> sure that the domains are separate. http://hot.openstreetmap.org must
> not point to a HOT domain.

For what it's worth, I have no objection to the hot.openstreetmap.org
redirect, and it seems perfectly logical that the 'hot.' prefix should
point to a HOT domain. By all means introduce
humanitarian.openstreetmap.org as well for a broader list of
humanitarian projects using OSM.

--

Steve

---