HOT in Research

Emir Hartato
Hi everyone,

You may wondering why I'm missing in HOT's action since couple years ago - that's because I was busy working on my research for my masters.

Now I'm pleased to announce that my research titled Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI) for Disaster Management is completed. Unfortunately I can't published the thesis document yet as it's being examined.However, summary of results (in English and Indonesian) can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Volunteered-Geographic-Information-VGI-for-Disaster-Management-A-Case-Study-for-Floods-in-Jakarta

Paper version for journal publication is on progress.

Abstract:

Existing studies reveal that Geographic Information Systems (GIS) can be used to enhance disaster management for reducing disaster risks. However, geospatial information acquisition is a key challenge when using GIS for disaster management, particularly in developing countries. A number of studies reveal that Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI) has potential as an alternative method for collecting geospatial information in disaster management. Researchers have called for the development of a framework to account VGI issues.

This thesis presented a framework to improve VGI use in disaster management by using a qualitative case study of VGI use for flood management in Jakarta. Two qualitative techniques were applied for data collection to identify VGI potential, limitations, and opportunities in disaster management: (i) in-depth structured interviews of 13 participants with experience in producing, managing, and using VGI for disaster management in Jakarta, and (ii) a focus group discussion (FGD) with 13 individuals from a local community with experience in conducting VGI activities to reduce flood risks in their local area. Thematic analysis was used to analyse the qualitative data.
Findings from this thesis include how stakeholders in Jakarta are extending the use of VGI in management by using collaborative mapping and geo-located reporting tools. VGI can provide advantages, such as cost-benefit ratios, functionality, and knowledge adding attributes.

This thesis also identified that VGI issues comprise legal, credibility, public participation, stakeholder engagement, and interoperability. A key contribution of this thesis is a VGI-disaster management framework which comprises non-technical and technical components. This framework builds a strong foundation to enable VGI proliferation in disaster management for government and non-government.

Cheers!

Emir Hartato
Master of Geographic Information Science (MGIS) Student
Department of Geography, University of Canterbury, Christchurch NZ
Indonesia Mobile: +6287766721375 | NZ Mobile:  +64221887496

Re: HOT in Research

Paul Norman
On 3/6/2017 3:25 PM, Emir Hartato wrote:
Hi everyone,

You may wondering why I'm missing in HOT's action since couple years ago - that's because I was busy working on my research for my masters.

Now I'm pleased to announce that my research titled Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI) for Disaster Management is completed. Unfortunately I can't published the thesis document yet as it's being examined.However, summary of results (in English and Indonesian) can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Volunteered-Geographic-Information-VGI-for-Disaster-Management-A-Case-Study-for-Floods-in-Jakarta

The abstract and presentation talks about VGI. Was this research done with multiple VGI platforms, or just OpenStreetMap?

Re: HOT in Research

Emir Hartato
Hi Paul,

This research was looking on multiple VGI platforms (not only OpenStreetMap) which potentially can be used according to disaster management stage.

Cheers

On 7 March 2017 at 12:46, Paul Norman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 3/6/2017 3:25 PM, Emir Hartato wrote:
Hi everyone,

You may wondering why I'm missing in HOT's action since couple years ago - that's because I was busy working on my research for my masters.

Now I'm pleased to announce that my research titled Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI) for Disaster Management is completed. Unfortunately I can't published the thesis document yet as it's being examined.However, summary of results (in English and Indonesian) can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Volunteered-Geographic-Information-VGI-for-Disaster-Management-A-Case-Study-for-Floods-in-Jakarta

The abstract and presentation talks about VGI. Was this research done with multiple VGI platforms, or just OpenStreetMap?

Re: HOT in Research

Mhairi O'Hara
Hey Emir,

Thank you for sharing! The summary of results look great. Looking forward to reading the published thesis. Keep us updated.

Kind regards,

Mhairi

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 8:02 AM, Emir Hartato <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Project Manager
@mataharimhairi

Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team
Using OpenStreetMap for Humanitarian Response & Economic Development

Re: HOT in Research

Emir Hartato
Hi everyone,

Thank you for kind words. I feel very motivated to improving my future work.
Full-thesis document is now available from University of Canterbury (UC) Research Repository:

Feedback is very welcome :)

​C​heers,

Emir