HTTP Tiles API Docs Suggestion

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

HTTP Tiles API Docs Suggestion

Bob Somers (rosomers)

I don’t know if anyone from CloudMade reads this list or not, but in case they do, I have a tiny suggestion for this page on the HTTP Tiles API Docs:

http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/examples/convert-coordinates-to-tile-numbers

 

I was playing around with the API and computing the x and y tile numbers by hand, but kept ending up in the middle of the ocean. I noticed that it was always the y tile number that was off slightly. Eventually I figured out that by log() you meant natural logarithm (which makes sense for code, since most math libraries implement log() as the natural log). However, if you’re just getting started with the library and calculating the tile values by hand to see what you get (with a calculator, or, say, using Google as a calculator which interprets log() to mean log base 10), it can be a bit confusing.

 

A little note on that page mentioning that log() means natural log might be helpful. J

 

Thanks! This API is really stellar to work with so far!

 

--Bob Somers


_______________________________________________
Dev site list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cloudmade.com/listinfo/dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTTP Tiles API Docs Suggestion

Andrii V. Mishkovskyi
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Bob Somers (rosomers)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don’t know if anyone from CloudMade reads this list or not, but in case
> they do, I have a tiny suggestion for this page on the HTTP Tiles API Docs:

Oh yes, we do read this list. Welcome!

>
> http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/examples/convert-coordinates-to-tile-numbers
>
>
>
> I was playing around with the API and computing the x and y tile numbers by
> hand, but kept ending up in the middle of the ocean. I noticed that it was
> always the y tile number that was off slightly. Eventually I figured out
> that by log() you meant natural logarithm (which makes sense for code, since
> most math libraries implement log() as the natural log). However, if you’re
> just getting started with the library and calculating the tile values by
> hand to see what you get (with a calculator, or, say, using Google as a
> calculator which interprets log() to mean log base 10), it can be a bit
> confusing.

It's unfortunate that the examples for tile server are not in wiki
format, but rather static pages, because otherwise I would of fixed it
immediately. Anyway, we'll change "log" to "ln" and probably add
explanation that "ln" actually stands for "natural logarithm".
That should clear things up.

Thanks for the report.

>
>
>
> A little note on that page mentioning that log() means natural log might be
> helpful. J
>
>
>
> Thanks! This API is really stellar to work with so far!

Meh, it's ok, I guess. ;)

>
>
>
> --Bob Somers
>
> _______________________________________________
> Dev site list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.cloudmade.com/listinfo/dev
>



--
Wbr, Andrii V. Mishkovskyi.

I have the last page code of rocket launch program in NASA written in Lisp:
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
_______________________________________________
Dev site list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cloudmade.com/listinfo/dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: HTTP Tiles API Docs Suggestion

Alexandra-3
Hi Bob,

I'd like just to inform that we make changes to our documentation not to make any future confusions between natural and 10-based logarithms. The link to docs is http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/examples/convert-coordinates-to-tile-numbers .

With best regards,
Alexandra

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrii V. Mishkovskyi [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:26 AM
To: Bob Somers (rosomers)
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [CM Dev] HTTP Tiles API Docs Suggestion

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Bob Somers (rosomers)
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don’t know if anyone from CloudMade reads this list or not, but in case
> they do, I have a tiny suggestion for this page on the HTTP Tiles API Docs:

Oh yes, we do read this list. Welcome!

>
> http://developers.cloudmade.com/projects/tiles/examples/convert-coordinates-to-tile-numbers
>
>
>
> I was playing around with the API and computing the x and y tile numbers by
> hand, but kept ending up in the middle of the ocean. I noticed that it was
> always the y tile number that was off slightly. Eventually I figured out
> that by log() you meant natural logarithm (which makes sense for code, since
> most math libraries implement log() as the natural log). However, if you’re
> just getting started with the library and calculating the tile values by
> hand to see what you get (with a calculator, or, say, using Google as a
> calculator which interprets log() to mean log base 10), it can be a bit
> confusing.

It's unfortunate that the examples for tile server are not in wiki
format, but rather static pages, because otherwise I would of fixed it
immediately. Anyway, we'll change "log" to "ln" and probably add
explanation that "ln" actually stands for "natural logarithm".
That should clear things up.

Thanks for the report.

>
>
>
> A little note on that page mentioning that log() means natural log might be
> helpful. J
>
>
>
> Thanks! This API is really stellar to work with so far!

Meh, it's ok, I guess. ;)

>
>
>
> --Bob Somers
>
> _______________________________________________
> Dev site list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.cloudmade.com/listinfo/dev
>



--
Wbr, Andrii V. Mishkovskyi.

I have the last page code of rocket launch program in NASA written in Lisp:
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
_______________________________________________
Dev site list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cloudmade.com/listinfo/dev

_______________________________________________
Dev site list
[hidden email]
http://lists.cloudmade.com/listinfo/dev