Hello and login problem

Ben Ward-3
Afternoon all,

Just got on the mailing list after wading through the gallons of
information about the OSM project.  I've been editing my tracks from
Littlemore, a village south of Oxford, and getting the hang of what to
do and what not to do.

I'm having a few problems logging on to the wiki to edit things, I keep getting:

[Login error:There is no user by the name "[hidden email]".
Check your spelling, or create a new account.]

I reckon it's case sensitive, but I'm putting it in lower case and I
think it's auto upper-casing my login, or maybe it only does that when
it displays. Plus
my uploads/downloads work through JOSM etc. Any ideas anyone?

Is it just me or does anyone else find a Wikimedia wiki a very poor
way of learning something?  Great project though and a lot of great
work done on it so far.

Ben

--
[hidden email] | http://crouchingbadger.com

--
[hidden email] | http://crouchingbadger.com

Re: Hello and login problem

David Groom
Firstly hello & welcome

> Just got on the mailing list after wading through the gallons of
> information about the OSM project.  I've been editing my tracks from
> Littlemore, a village south of Oxford, and getting the hang of what to
> do and what not to do.
>
> I'm having a few problems logging on to the wiki to edit things, I keep
> getting:
>
> [Login error:There is no user by the name "[hidden email]".
> Check your spelling, or create a new account.]

Just in case you are not aware, the wiki username & password is different to
the OSM login name & password used to upload  / edit data

> I reckon it's case sensitive, but I'm putting it in lower case and I
> think it's auto upper-casing my login, or maybe it only does that when
> it displays. Plus
> my uploads/downloads work through JOSM etc. Any ideas anyone?
>
> Is it just me or does anyone else find a Wikimedia wiki a very poor
> way of learning something?  Great project though and a lot of great
> work done on it so far.

I agree. Its why I started http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/PdfManual
, though its now out of date and I never got as far as turning it into a pdf
:).  It did try and collect all important stuff into one page though.

David