Hello!

Martijn van Exel-3
I’m new on this list. My name is Martijn van Exel. I am Dutch but live in the U.S.A. where I work for Telenav. I already introduced myself on Slack where I talked a bit about Telenav looking at possibly helping improve the map in Australia. I am just not sure if there’s folks here who are not on Slack so I wanted to say hi. We’re not making any improvements yet and we will keep you updated as our plans materialize.

We have a page on the OSM wiki that has more about how / what we typically work on in OSM: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Telenav

Please do get in touch with any questions!

Happy mapping,
Martijn

Re: Hello!

Joel H.-2

Thanks for introducing yourself.

A little while ago I fixed up the whole M5 motorway (and I believe some of the M3 as well) in Brisbane and wrote a diary post about it. Mostly with what I did.

I was wondering whether what I did was correct, or if my method has given you any ideas?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Joel%20Hansen/diary/43896

On 8/11/18 4:10 am, Martijn van Exel wrote:
I’m new on this list. My name is Martijn van Exel. I am Dutch but live in the U.S.A. where I work for Telenav. I already introduced myself on Slack where I talked a bit about Telenav looking at possibly helping improve the map in Australia. I am just not sure if there’s folks here who are not on Slack so I wanted to say hi. We’re not making any improvements yet and we will keep you updated as our plans materialize.

We have a page on the OSM wiki that has more about how / what we typically work on in OSM: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Telenav

Please do get in touch with any questions!

Happy mapping,
Martijn

Re: Hello!

Martijn van Exel-3
Hi Joel,

Nice to make your virtual acquaintance.

I noticed there was a bit of discussion as to how to snap _link / ramp roads to the main highway.
The Telenav team uses the convention as described on the wiki, snapping to the main road where the physical separation ends or begins. So the way you described it yourself is the ‘right’ way, as endorsed by the wiki. (See https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_junction )

In general, our team follows the conventions as described on the wiki, and if there’s no clear decision, we work with the community to reach one, and edir the wiki afterwards.

I agree fully with your use of destination tags, but according to the wiki they belong on the _link way and not on the junction node, https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:destination#Where_to_use.3F

Motorway junction nodes should be tagged even if there is no junction number (not sure if those are common / signposted in Australia?) See again https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway_junction The destination should not go on junction nodes but on the _link road.

I have not used the placement=transition tag myself and am not sure how it is used in applications, but interesting!

I hope OpenStreetCam (and also Mapillary) will continue to be useful. For signposts and speed limits these are pretty much indispensable tools lacking official GIS data that has this info. Telenav created and maintains OpenStreetCam as you may know. I am happy to answer any questions about it that you may have. We are planning to hold a few mapping competitions in the near future for a few cities in Australia, I’ll make an announcement separately when we’re ready to do that. (Early next year I think)

Another tool I’ve found really useful for checking complete / correct tagging of motorways is CheckAutopista: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/CheckAutopista . For M5: http://k1wiosm.github.io/checkautopista2/?id=7985811&lat=-27.5645&lon=152.8959&z=12

Martijn

On Nov 8, 2018, at 12:06 AM, Joel H. <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

By the way - I started collecting the Top Mapper lists for various cities in Australia using my Meet Your Mapper tool[0]. If you find it interesting you can review them here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1axVjSpcCuD14AubLzA6E00fMxRLfXBHWPQvdijwsyUM/edit?usp=sharing . It looks like you are the #1 mapper for the Brisbane area :) (when sorted by number of nodes last touched).

These lists are based on data publicly available from Overpass, and I haven’t shared the link more widely, but if you object to having this data readily available to the community I will unshare it right away.

Martijn

[0] The tool is at https://mym.rtijn.org/ and the code is at https://github.com/mvexel/meetyourmappers, a diary entry is at https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mvexel/diary/44833

On Nov 20, 2018, at 12:32 PM, Martijn van Exel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I took a look at the Meet Your Mapper tool a while ago. Pretty interesting stuff, most of mine comes from lots of building and wood modeling.

As for the list, you should convert the dates into ISO 8601.

Joel

On 21/11/18 7:58 am, Martijn van Exel wrote:
[...]

Nick Hocking

Hi Martijn,

In my opinion the biggest improvement to Australian OSM data, to make it usefull for automotive navigation, would be the addition of offline address data.

I believe that most states have address datasets available that are OSM licence compliant and could be used for import. Would your people be interested in helping out with that?

Cheers

Nick

Re: Hello!

Andrew Harvey-3
Hey Martijn,

We ran a mapping session at the FOSS4G SotM Oceania Community Day today using maproulette. It worked really well spreading tasks out among the participants. Lot's of new people getting into using JOSM.

I ran into an error trying to upload one particular GeoJSON files but apart from that it went well.

On Thu., 8 Nov. 2018, 5:11 am Martijn van Exel <[hidden email] wrote:
I’m new on this list. My name is Martijn van Exel. I am Dutch but live in the U.S.A. where I work for Telenav. I already introduced myself on Slack where I talked a bit about Telenav looking at possibly helping improve the map in Australia. I am just not sure if there’s folks here who are not on Slack so I wanted to say hi. We’re not making any improvements yet and we will keep you updated as our plans materialize.

We have a page on the OSM wiki that has more about how / what we typically work on in OSM: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Telenav

Please do get in touch with any questions!

Happy mapping,
Martijn

Re: Hello!

Martijn van Exel-3
Andrew -- I am very glad to hear it!
I would be delighted to help promote MapRoulette use more, please do let me know if you have issues or you want help setting up a particular challenge.
--
  Martijn van Exel

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018, at 02:56, Andrew Harvey wrote:
[...]

Hi Nick,
We generally focus on the road network and related tags / attributes first, since Telenav tends to source search information (including addressing) from sources other than OSM.

That said, where there is an opportunity to help coordinate adding address information to OSM, we will certainly consider it.

Is there already some coordination going on, like collecting information about datasets and licenses on an OSM wiki page?
--
  Martijn van Exel

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018, at 22:10, Nick Hocking wrote:

Hi Martijn,

In my opinion the biggest improvement to Australian OSM data, to make it usefull for automotive navigation, would be the addition of offline address data.

I believe that most states have address datasets available that are OSM licence compliant and could be used for import. Would your people be interested in helping out with that?

Cheers

Nick

Re: Hello!

Andrew Harvey-3
Yeah it's the one you linked to in your intro on talk-nz,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue