Help designating temporary sidewalk closures

Help designating temporary sidewalk closures

Jones, Dawn

Our goal is to show sidewalks on the University of Iowa campus that are temporarily closed so blind students using the Blind Square app will receive current information. (Blind Square reads Open Street Map data.)  We are using the Editor for OSM ESRI.

What would you suggest for us to use for tags and values?   Do you know of a reference that would give us some assistance?

Thanks,

Dawn Jones

Mapping & GIS

Planning, Design & Construction, U of Iowa

200 University Services Building

Iowa City, Iowa  52242

phone 319 335-2569

Re: Help designating temporary sidewalk closures

Richard Weait
On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Jones, Dawn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Our goal is to show sidewalks on the University of Iowa campus that are
> temporarily closed so blind students using the Blind Square app will receive
> current information. (Blind Square reads Open Street Map data.)  We are
> using the Editor for OSM ESRI.
>

> What would you suggest for us to use for tags and values?   Do you know of a
> reference that would give us some assistance?

It depends on some surrounding issues and local custom.  Why are the
sidewalks closing and for how long?  Are you planning to maintain them
by opening them up again when they are restored?  You don't need to
answer me on these, just consider the questions. :-)

Without knowing your local mapping custom, and without having looked
at your campus, I'd be inclined to change highway=footway to
highway=construction for the ways in question.  If i was being extra
careful, I might also split the ways, and disconnect them from the
active sidewalks by a metre or two.  Of course that means more to
repair when the sidewalks are restored.

Happy Mapping.

Re: Help designating temporary sidewalk closures

Pieren
On Mon, Dec 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Richard Weait <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd be inclined to change highway=footway to
> highway=construction for the ways in question.

"construction" was created for major roads, not really sidewalks of
major roads ([1]). You should better play either with "access=no" + a
"note=blabla" or with the prefix "disused:" ([2])

> If i was being extra
> careful, I might also split the ways, and disconnect them from the
> active sidewalks by a metre or two.  Of course that means more to
> repair when the sidewalks are restored.

+1 to split (of course the "temporary closed attributes" apply only on
the concerned sections)
-1 to disconnect by a metre or two : this is going too far in details
and is not a guarantee for the application to support the closed
footpath.
I guess the question is more to check what tags the app "blind square"
is able to support or not.

Pieren

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dconstruction
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:disused