Help/ideas with address index

Tomas Straupis
Hello

  I'm trying to generate address index, but so far am unable to do
that. Maybe you can give me some advices on what should I try?

  I expect to get index right in the gmapsupp.img as I'm using linux
and MapSource is unable to transfer gmapsupp to my Colorado (I'm
simply copying gmapsupp.img to the device via usb cabel).
  I was following instructions I've found on osm wiki. Created bounds
info (tried both creating my own using osmfilter/osmconvert/mkgmap as
well as downloading pre-created europe bounds 20111202).

  This is how I run mkgmap:

java -jar mkgmap.jar \
--style-file=/home/tomas/garmin/tomas_style \
--gmapsupp \
--tdbfile \
--family-id=1 \
--family-name=OpenStreetMap \
--description=Lietuva`date +%Y%m%d` \
--country-name=Lithuania \
--country-abbr=LTU \
--preserve-element-order \
--route \
--add-pois-to-areas \
--generate-sea=multipolygon \
--coastlinefile=lkrantas.osm \
--report-undefined-nodes \
--check-roundabouts \
--drive-on-right \
--report-dead-ends \
--location-autofill=bounds \
lithuania_.osm

  The only error messages I get are about short arcs.

  This is how I test. Upload the map to my device. Choose "where to"
-> "address", press "done" (or enter letter "L") and get an empty
list...

  Note: I'm not using splitter, just taking data from geofabrik and
making a map from it directly. mkgmap version 2165.

  Thank you

P.S. Everything else (routing, styles) seems to work ok.

--
Tomas Straupis

Re: Help/ideas with address index

Marko Mäkelä
On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 08:23:32PM +0200, Tomas Straupis wrote:
>This is how I run mkgmap:

I see that you are doing it in one go. Would it work if you did it in
two passes:

First, like your command, but replace --gmapsupp --index with
--mapname=12345678 (or any 8-digit number of your preference)

Second, java -jar mkgmap.jar --index --gmapsupp 12345678.img

By the way, I do not see any --code-page=1252 or --latin1 option. Is
that the default?

>Note: I'm not using splitter, just taking data from geofabrik and
>making a map from it directly. mkgmap version 2165.

Lucky you, living in a small country. Finland was some 30MB three years
ago. It is 100MB now.

        Marko

Re: Help/ideas with address index

railrun
Hello Tomas,

have you extended your style-files (lines, points and polygons) with the rules for the index like:
mkgmap:country!=* & mkgmap:admin_level2=* { set mkgmap:country='${mkgmap:admin_level2}' }

mkgmap:region!=* & mkgmap:admin_level3=* { set mkgmap:region='${mkgmap:admin_level3}' }
mkgmap:region!=* & mkgmap:admin_level4=* { set mkgmap:region='${mkgmap:admin_level4}' }
mkgmap:region!=* & mkgmap:admin_level5=* { set mkgmap:region='${mkgmap:admin_level5}' }
... and so one...

You can find them in the default style-rules for lines, points and polygones. If this also doesn't work try to use the default-style, maybe this helps.

Cheers
Martin

Am 11.01.2012 um 19:23 schrieb Tomas Straupis:

> Hello
>
>  I'm trying to generate address index, but so far am unable to do
> that. Maybe you can give me some advices on what should I try?
>
>  I expect to get index right in the gmapsupp.img as I'm using linux
> and MapSource is unable to transfer gmapsupp to my Colorado (I'm
> simply copying gmapsupp.img to the device via usb cabel).
>  I was following instructions I've found on osm wiki. Created bounds
> info (tried both creating my own using osmfilter/osmconvert/mkgmap as
> well as downloading pre-created europe bounds 20111202).
>
>  This is how I run mkgmap:
>
> java -jar mkgmap.jar \
> --style-file=/home/tomas/garmin/tomas_style \
> --gmapsupp \
> --tdbfile \
> --family-id=1 \
> --family-name=OpenStreetMap \
> --description=Lietuva`date +%Y%m%d` \
> --country-name=Lithuania \
> --country-abbr=LTU \
> --preserve-element-order \
> --route \
> --add-pois-to-areas \
> --generate-sea=multipolygon \
> --coastlinefile=lkrantas.osm \
> --report-undefined-nodes \
> --check-roundabouts \
> --drive-on-right \
> --report-dead-ends \
> --location-autofill=bounds \
> lithuania_.osm
>
>  The only error messages I get are about short arcs.
>
>  This is how I test. Upload the map to my device. Choose "where to"
> -> "address", press "done" (or enter letter "L") and get an empty
> list...
>
>  Note: I'm not using splitter, just taking data from geofabrik and
> making a map from it directly. mkgmap version 2165.
>
>  Thank you
>
> P.S. Everything else (routing, styles) seems to work ok.
>
> --
> Tomas Straupis

Re: Help/ideas with address index

railrun
Oh, I forgot.

Have you already downloaded the boundary-files (you are using this option, right)?
If not, you can find them here:
or here:

And: Mkgmap also understand pbf-files. They are smaller and faster processed. Lithuania.osm.pbf is only 14mb of size :)

Cheers
Martin

Am 11.01.2012 um 23:15 schrieb Martin:

[...]

Thank you everybody, the problem was with missing
mkgmap:country/region etc. rules in styles!

> And: Mkgmap also understand pbf-files. They are smaller and faster
> processed. Lithuania.osm.pbf is only 14mb of size :)
  I know, and pbf files appear on geofabrik earlier than zipped xml files.
  Unfortunately I'm also running a script calculating lengths of roads
and that one takes xml as an input. So I would have to convert pdf to
xml anyway... And I'm not sure if osm2pgsql/osmfilter/osmconvert can
load/work with pbf file...

--
Tomas Straupis

Re: Help/ideas with address index

Thorsten Kukuk
On Thu, Jan 12, Tomas Straupis wrote:

>   Unfortunately I'm also running a script calculating lengths of roads
> and that one takes xml as an input. So I would have to convert pdf to
> xml anyway... And I'm not sure if osm2pgsql/osmfilter/osmconvert can
> load/work with pbf file...

osmconvert can of course convert from and to pbf. osmfilter can
write .pbf, but I'm not sure about reading it.

  Thorsten

2012-01-12 Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> osmconvert can of course convert from and to pbf. osmfilter can
> write .pbf, but I'm not sure about reading it.

  The last time I was analysing usage of pbf was when it appeared (one
year ago?). I should probably re-visit this topic.

  Thank you for information!

2012-01-11 Marko Mäkelä wrote:
> By the way, I do not see any --code-page=1252 or --latin1 option. Is
> that the default?

  Not sure about 1252, but latin1 is apparently the default, because I
used to use that option to convert non ascii characters to latin ones
(so that gmapsupp could be used on old devices). And for some time
I've removed that option and mkgmap still converts non ascii
characters... (or nobody bothered to complain:)

> Lucky you, living in a small country. Finland was some 30MB three years
> ago. It is 100MB now.

  We're slowly getting there! Very slowly... :-)

--
Tomas Straupis

Re: Help/ideas with address index

Steve Ratcliffe

Hi

>    Not sure about 1252, but latin1 is apparently the default, because I
> used to use that option to convert non ascii characters to latin ones

It is actually not the default. I don't know if the index works
if the tiles were compiled without latin1 or if the index is created
without latin1 (or code-page). It probably could work, but I don't
think I have tried it.

..Steve

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 09:07:32AM +0200, Tomas Straupis wrote:
>Not sure about 1252, but latin1

cp1252 is IBM's or Microsoft's "embraced and extended" ISO 8859-1. It
adds a few code points, such as the Euro sign and curly quotes. Also
MySQL is calling it "latin1", although latin1 used to mean ISO 8859-1.

Garmin Edge 705 supports a subset of cp1252 (not all curly quotes, for
example). I don't remember if it supports the entire latin1; I tested it
a long time ago.

        Marko