High-level types and icons

Tac Tacelosky
On the dev list now (missed a confirmation email), but I'll ask another question here.

We're working on a simplified interface for mapping streetview observations to OSM nodes.  While nodes can have all sorts of tags, I'd like to simplify it to have one primary type -- hotel, cafe, fast food restaurant, etc.

Is there a list anywhere that we could use that has most of the common tags, with at most one level of depth, along with an icon and how the tags map?

Thanks,

Tac

Re: High-level types and icons

SomeoneElse
Tac Tacelosky wrote:

> Is there a list anywhere that we could use that has most of the common
> tags, with at most one level of depth, along with an icon and how the
> tags map?

An excellent place to start looking at what tags are used and in what
combination with other tags is taginfo:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/

For example, if you search for "shop", and click on values you can see
what values are used for that tag.  "combinations" shows you what other
tags are used alongside "shop" etc.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: High-level types and icons

Tac Tacelosky
I found this:

Which seems like a good starting point.  The tagInfo site is huge, I spent some time in it, and got overwhelmed.  Very cool, but really hard when you want to make it super-easy for someone to say "I see a <type> named <name>" which is the high-level action I'm going for now.

Tac

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:56 AM, SomeoneElse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tac Tacelosky wrote:

Is there a list anywhere that we could use that has most of the common tags, with at most one level of depth, along with an icon and how the tags map?

An excellent place to start looking at what tags are used and in what combination with other tags is taginfo:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/

For example, if you search for "shop", and click on values you can see what values are used for that tag.  "combinations" shows you what other tags are used alongside "shop" etc.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: High-level types and icons

Mike Thompson
What about looking at the presets in Potlatch to get an idea?

BTW, icons will be specific to a given renderer and will not be inherent in the OSM data.

Mike

Tac Tacelosky wrote:

Is there a list anywhere that we could use that has most of the common tags, with at most one level of depth, along with an icon and how the tags map?

An excellent place to start looking at what tags are used and in what combination with other tags is taginfo:

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/

For example, if you search for "shop", and click on values you can see what values are used for that tag.  "combinations" shows you what other tags are used alongside "shop" etc.

Cheers,

Andy

Re: High-level types and icons

Rob Nickerson
The amenity pre-sets that are build into iD editor are those with a json file listed here:

https://github.com/systemed/iD/tree/master/data/presets/presets/amenity

There is also a section on the wiki showing common tags:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Amenity

Hope that helps,
Rob

p.s. As noted, icons are specific to the map rendering rules. The default rendering rules on osm.org is called "mapnik"