Hot springs and Geysers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hot springs and Geysers

Joseph Eisenberg
There are now over 500 hot springs mapped with natural=hot_spring. The tag was proposed way back in 2008 but the proposal was never approved. Wiki: 

Some people have suggested tagging hot springs with natural=spring and a spring=hot subtag, but hot springs have a quite different geological origin and cultural significance. The wiki page for natural=spring has a link to hot spring: 

Geysers are also tagged natural=geyser. They could be considered a type of spring, but they are also similar to a fumarole or volcanic vent, and I would be quite surprised to see a geyser mapped as a “spring” 

Thoughts on these tags? If natural=hot_springbkeeps climbing in use, we could start rendering it on the Openstreetmap-Carto style (“standard layer”) soon, if there is agreement on the tagging.

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot springs and Geysers

Graeme Fitzpatrick


On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 09:44, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are now over 500 hot springs mapped with natural=hot_spring. The tag was proposed way back in 2008 but the proposal was never approved. Wiki: 

Yep, sounds like a good idea
 

Some people have suggested tagging hot springs with natural=spring and a spring=hot subtag, but hot springs have a quite different geological origin and cultural significance. The wiki page for natural=spring has a link to hot spring: 

Agree that hot spring & spring=hot are different

Geysers are also tagged natural=geyser. They could be considered a type of spring, but they are also similar to a fumarole or volcanic vent, and I would be quite surprised to see a geyser mapped as a “spring” 

Notice that they also suggested using hot spring for mud. I would think that bubbling mud puddles would be a different thing again? 

Thoughts on these tags? If natural=hot_springbkeeps climbing in use, we could start rendering it on the Openstreetmap-Carto style (“standard layer”) soon, if there is agreement on the tagging.

Thanks

Graeme 

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot springs and Geysers

Warin
On 22/10/18 11:15, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:


On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 09:44, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are now over 500 hot springs mapped with natural=hot_spring. The tag was proposed way back in 2008 but the proposal was never approved. Wiki: 

Yep, sounds like a good idea
 

Some people have suggested tagging hot springs with natural=spring and a spring=hot subtag, but hot springs have a quite different geological origin and cultural significance. The wiki page for natural=spring has a link to hot spring: 

Agree that hot spring & spring=hot are different

I have seen both 'natural cold springs' and 'natural hot springs'.
To me there is enough variation in appearance of 'natural cold springs' to encompass 'natural hot springs'.
The only difference between the two is the temperature.

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot springs and Geysers

Joseph Eisenberg
Some hot springs just look like
regular springs. But hot springs in volcanic areas are often sulfuric and may have heavy mineral content. The picture on the wiki page shows an impressive example. Others are boiling “mud pots”.

I didn’t find any uses of alternative tagging of natural=spring with spring=hot or spring=hot_spring on Overpass Turbo, and the combinations listed with natural=spring by Taginfo do not show anything hot-spring related (though there may be something with less than 1000 uses)

I don’t see any tags with natural=spring and spring=geyser on overpass turbo either.
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 9:57 AM Warin <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 22/10/18 11:15, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:


On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 09:44, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are now over 500 hot springs mapped with natural=hot_spring. The tag was proposed way back in 2008 but the proposal was never approved. Wiki: 

Yep, sounds like a good idea
 

Some people have suggested tagging hot springs with natural=spring and a spring=hot subtag, but hot springs have a quite different geological origin and cultural significance. The wiki page for natural=spring has a link to hot spring: 

Agree that hot spring & spring=hot are different

I have seen both 'natural cold springs' and 'natural hot springs'.
To me there is enough variation in appearance of 'natural cold springs' to encompass 'natural hot springs'.
The only difference between the two is the temperature.
_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot springs and geysers

EthnicFood IsGreat
In reply to this post by Joseph Eisenberg

>> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:15:56 +1000
>> From: Graeme Fitzpatrick <[hidden email]>
>> To: OSM Tag <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Hot springs and Geysers
>>
>> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 at 09:44, Joseph Eisenberg <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> There are now over 500 hot springs mapped with natural=hot_spring. The tag
>> was proposed way back in 2008 but the proposal was never approved. Wiki:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dhot_spring
>> Original proposal:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Hot_Spring
>>
> Yep, sounds like a good idea
>
>
>> Some people have suggested tagging hot springs with natural=spring and a
>> spring=hot subtag, but hot springs have a quite different geological origin
>> and cultural significance. The wiki page for natural=spring has a link to
>> hot spring:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dspring
>>
> Agree that hot spring & spring=hot are different
>
>> Geysers are also tagged natural=geyser. They could be considered a type of
>> spring, but they are also similar to a fumarole or volcanic vent, and I
>> would be quite surprised to see a geyser mapped as a “spring”
>> Wiki:
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dgeyser
>>
> Notice that they also suggested using hot spring for mud. I would think
> that bubbling mud puddles would be a different thing again?
>
>> Thoughts on these tags? If natural=hot_springbkeeps climbing in use, we
>> could start rendering it on the Openstreetmap-Carto style (“standard
>> layer”) soon, if there is agreement on the tagging.
>>
> Thanks
>
> Graeme
>


+1

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Hot springs and Geysers

Richard Z.
In reply to this post by Joseph Eisenberg
On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 08:42:40AM +0900, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:

> There are now over 500 hot springs mapped with natural=hot_spring. The tag
> was proposed way back in 2008 but the proposal was never approved. Wiki:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dhot_spring
> Original proposal:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Hot_Spring
>
> Some people have suggested tagging hot springs with natural=spring and a
> spring=hot subtag, but hot springs have a quite different geological origin
> and cultural significance. The wiki page for natural=spring has a link to
> hot spring:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dspring
>
> Geysers are also tagged natural=geyser. They could be considered a type of
> spring, but they are also similar to a fumarole or volcanic vent, and I
> would be quite surprised to see a geyser mapped as a “spring”
> Wiki:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dgeyser
>
> Thoughts on these tags? If natural=hot_springbkeeps climbing in use, we
> could start rendering it on the Openstreetmap-Carto style (“standard
> layer”) soon, if there is agreement on the tagging.

yep. I avoided a vote on the proposal because too many people were suggesting
to use various combinations of natural=spring+temparature=XX and similar instead.

However Tag:natural=hot_spring has been created anyway, apparently is marked as
"de facto" since 2015 and nobody complained since than so it would seem alright
to file a ticket to OpenCarto asking to have it rendered.

Richard

_______________________________________________
Tagging mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging