House numbers

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi

I've been looking into house numbers a little.

They work by giving a range of numbers between two nodes on a road.  A
node here is a routing node - where two roads meet - and not the
meaning of node in OSM.

You can say if the numbers are odd, even or both and if there are no
numbers down one side of a road you can say that too.

You specify numbers as being on the left or on the right when looking
in the direction the road is drawn in.

So you might have on the left hand side of the road numbers
are odd and go from 25 to 37 and on the right hand side they
are even and go from 26 to 32. If house numbers decrease
along the direction of the road, you just have a start
number that is larger than the end number.

This is also clear from the polish notation for house numbers, which
for the above example is:

   Numbers1=0,O,25,37,E,26,32

I hope to have at least a 'hello world' example of numbering working
in the next week.

..Steve

Re: House numbers

railrun
Hi,

maybe you can also include the zip-code-search.  I know, house numbers a more important, but zip-code-search is a nice feature, especially if you have a big city, that has streets with the same name in different zip-areas (e.g. Berlin). As far as I can remember zip-codes are saved the same way (left/right side of the street).

Cheers
Martin

Am 06.12.2012 um 22:47 schrieb Steve Ratcliffe:

> Hi
>
> I've been looking into house numbers a little.
>
> They work by giving a range of numbers between two nodes on a road.  A
> node here is a routing node - where two roads meet - and not the
> meaning of node in OSM.
>
> You can say if the numbers are odd, even or both and if there are no
> numbers down one side of a road you can say that too.
>
> You specify numbers as being on the left or on the right when looking
> in the direction the road is drawn in.
>
> So you might have on the left hand side of the road numbers
> are odd and go from 25 to 37 and on the right hand side they
> are even and go from 26 to 32. If house numbers decrease
> along the direction of the road, you just have a start
> number that is larger than the end number.
>
> This is also clear from the polish notation for house numbers, which
> for the above example is:
>
>   Numbers1=0,O,25,37,E,26,32
>
> I hope to have at least a 'hello world' example of numbering working
> in the next week.
>
> ..Steve

Re: House numbers

Alexander Atanasov
Hi.

On 6 December 2012 23:55, Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe you can also include the zip-code-search.  I know, house numbers a more important, but zip-code-search is a nice feature, especially if you have a big city, that has streets with the same name in different zip-areas (e.g. Berlin). As far as I can remember zip-codes are saved the same way (left/right side of the street).

AFAIK ZIP code searching is available only in NT maps.

--
have fun,
alex

Re: House numbers

nwillink
Congratulations ! Can't wait to see the Hello World

Re: House numbers

Steve Ratcliffe

Hi

On the numbering branch, which you can get from
here: http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/download/mkgmap.html
has the first working house numbers for mkgmap.

It is only for Polish input files and is limited to cases where the
numbers increase along the street, there is not too big a difference
between the numbers and there is no more than one section of road.
There also must be odd numbers on one side of the road and even on the
other.

So things like the following will work:

   Numbers1: 0,E,2,10,O,1,15
or
   Numbers1: 0,O,5,15,E,8,24

On the other hand it knows what it can do, so if you see numbers
then they are probably right. Cases that are not implemented and
tested are just left out of the map.

Adding the other cases is not a big problem, I am just adding
things one step at a time.

..Steve

Re: House numbers

nwillink
Hi Steve

Almost every street in Exeter has osm address numbers . I'm keen to translate them into a mp format  so I can test your latest amazing efforts.

Unfortunately I'm not too sure what to do with the jar .

Any chance of it being committed?

Thanks

Nick

Re: House numbers

Steve Ratcliffe
Hi Nick

> Almost every street in Exeter has osm address numbers . I'm keen to
> translate them into a mp format  so I can test your latest amazing efforts.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not too sure what to do with the jar .

Since numbers only work with .mp file, there is no need for anything
else and you can just use the downloaded jar from the website in place
of the mkgmap.jar

   java -jar mkgmap-numbering-r2410.jar exeter.mp

Or you can take a copy of the latest trunk release of mkgmap and replace
the mkgmap.jar file in there with numbering one, changing its name
to mkgmap.jar and then just use it as normal.

I will probably merge it to trunk as soon as it is confirmed that it
doesn't affect any existing functionality.

..Steve

Re: House numbers

nwillink
Hi Steve

many thanks for that !

Will let you know I how got on

r Nick

Sent: Monday, December 17, 2012 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: House numbers

Hi Nick

> Almost every street in Exeter has osm address numbers . I'm keen to
> translate them into a mp format  so I can test your latest amazing efforts.
>
> Unfortunately I'm not too sure what to do with the jar .

Since numbers only work with .mp file, there is no need for anything
else and you can just use the downloaded jar from the website in place
of the mkgmap.jar

   java -jar mkgmap-numbering-r2410.jar exeter.mp

Or you can take a copy of the latest trunk release of mkgmap and replace
the mkgmap.jar file in there with numbering one, changing its name
to mkgmap.jar and then just use it as normal.

I will probably merge it to trunk as soon as it is confirmed that it
doesn't affect any existing functionality.

..Steve

http://gis.19327.n5.nabble.com/House-numbers-tp5739428p5740683.html
To unsubscribe from House numbers, click here.
NAML

No virus found in this message.